Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

Don as far as I know, we're due for a negative Atlantic Oscillation flip. Those can last for years and would lead to prolonged droughts and longer heatwaves in this part of the world.

• Insightful 1

Posted
3 hours ago, danm said:

It has been changeable to a degree. Very mild over the last couple of days, 18c or so, with sunny spells. 

WWW.THETIMES.CO.UK

Plus: the weather forecast where you are

A reminder how topsy turvy the weather can be here in March.

Don't relax ahead of time. But still, don’t be discouraged - summer is coming)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

raz.org.rain If only. I think we will get a repeat of 1998 this summer. Can't think of anything worse.

Posted

raz.org.rain I hope so. I want the hottest, driest and sunniest August on record, with July not far behind.

• Like 1

Posted

B87 you'd think with how absurdly long this current pattern has been (I believe it's already at a record duration) it can't realistically persist through summer too. The main drivers behind the persistence are under threat also, so it does feel like it's only a matter of time before we see a sudden change.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Decent day as the cold front cleared away a few hours ago. Bit of a breeze and a lowish humidity of 50% (lowest of the year so far) does make it feel a little nippy in the shade, but in the sunshine quite lovely. Looks like the rain is back early next week, so any benefit from the drier few days of recent will be undone once again.

JnWd7VvG.thumb.jpg.96d58dd69674adf895ecddabcb462ffe.jpg

The front looks quite neat on satellite, and ahead of it widely into the low 20s across central France, I certainly wouldn't mind some of that warmth right now!

latest-vis.thumb.jpg.2db60ea72303a7ca6a5c51d3a2b515b8.jpgimage.thumb.png.f1f868530951ff9f7fd978ea8d54b026.png

• Like 2

Posted

Don yes 😬 it feels like our options so far are hot and dry or hot and wet. Given the absurd levels of global heat anomalies present, I can't imagine seeing the remainder of the year without crazy heat anomalies.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

B87 we had the best weather over the last two days? 

Posted

danm Yes, but that's 2 days or so over the past 2 months. It should be the reverse.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

B87 today is a cold front pushing south. It;s cleared now and the sun has come out. Bad luck with timing that it moved over southern England during daylight hours. 

As for the SE copping the "worst" of it, I think sometimes it's perception over reality. Yes, it's been monotonously dull over the last few months, but that's pretty much UK wide. 

Actual sunshine hours in December were similar across the UK, a little brighter over parts of the east coast:

image.thumb.png.1c30c51acde9524866340735e4307795.png

The best of the sunshine in January across southern and eastern England:

image.thumb.png.06faf5ad71be8c46f00c60ead1c67cd2.png

The SE was at a similar rate to much of the country for Feb, except oddly the far NE of Scotland seemed to miss some of that and have it quite a bit brighter:

image.thumb.png.4a5d8de5e6f9cc5ac53e078f88d224c4.png

We don't have the full stats for March yet.

Edited by danm
  • Like 1

Posted

Contrary to the whole "AMOC slowdown/collapse to trigger ice age" nonsense, this recently published paper provides an ominous message for the next few years in response to a growing cold blob anomaly...

"[Oltmanns] said warmth over Greenland in the summer of 2023 melted a lot of ice, sending more freshwater toward the North Atlantic. Depending on the exact path of the influx, the findings suggest that, in addition to the immediate impacts this year, it will also trigger a heatwave and drought in Northern Europe in a more delayed reaction in the next five years, she said."

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

B87 I sincerely hope not! I suspect a 1998 type summer after the 9 months of near-constant dull and wet weather we're enduring would be more than many could take. Would also have a devastating effect on agriculture, I suspect - and if the following winter was also wet I hate to think what might happen, perhaps catastrophic flooding for low-lying areas of the southwest.

Do you think we'll get any dry spells at all this year? Thoughts on autumn?

Edited by Summer8906

Posted

Summer8906 I think August and September will be the best months of the year.

Hopefully we will get at least a month without any rainfall in the summer.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

In Absence of True Seasons Not actually so bad today, dry and cloudy and now sunny, thank heavens we don't get sunset at 4pm anymore.

It's more next week I'm absolutely dreading. Enough, I suspect, to put 2024 in the three wettest Marches since 1950, and one of the worst Easters of my lifetime by the looks of the models (comparable with such 'classics' as 2018 or 1983).

B87 OK, so the 1998 comparison includes the August, that's something.

Any thoughts on April-July, will there be any half-decent (i.e. average) months in that lot?

Hoping we won't see 13 consecutive wet months before a possible decent August arrives!

Edited by Summer8906
  • Thanks 1

Posted

baddie 2005 was very much better than this one. Started cold then became warm, but was much drier with far more sunny days.

Posted

Definitely September. Roll on September. Yes I am writing summer off now 😂

Edited by *Stormforce~beka*

Posted

Summer8906 Not even that. We will get our dry spell though, in November. That dry spell will bring in zero sunshine at all for three weeks. Before then, lets endure an April 2012, May 2021, June 2012, July 1988, August 1912, September 1994 and October 2000

Posted

baddie So November 2021 rehash then? Sunny for one week then dull for three, if I remember right (though that sunny week was enough to produce average sunshine).

Followed by Dec 2021 again to top this miserable year off! 😉

Oh well, perhaps 2025 will be the anti-2024....

Edited by Summer8906

Posted

Summer8906 November 2021 was too bright and interesting for a weather gods liking. Something like a dry version of November 2015. And while we are at it, lets have a December 2015 to add more misery

Edited by baddie

Posted

*Stormforce~beka* I wouldn’t be so sure about that.  I personally don’t think it would make us lucky, but there’s nowt I can do about it! 🥵☹️