Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

It's actually a very pleasant spring day here. Sunny but overcast. Very mild but fresh feel and no breeze.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Sunshine or showers for Easter weekend?

Posted

HurricaneSteve
Why did you go for a walk at 2am?! Although this is probably something I would do!! ... If it was safe. But I'm a woman so it's not

SunSean Global warming. This is the new normal until I guess June. Then we are in the furnace. Or if unlucky we can look forward to September!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

I guess we've now seen the last of any even average, let alone decent, weather for March. Perhaps the last sighting of the sun for March was yesterday too.

British Summer Time on Sunday. Yet with so much cloud, rain and gloom around I suspect it'll feel more like Oct just before they put the clocks back...

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

*Stormforce~beka* same here, hadn't seen it since yesterday so really was starting to get withdrawals 

• Thanks 1

Posted

In Absence of True Seasons Joking aside I actually don't like seeing the sun now as it's too bright and hurts my eyes. Takes time to get used to it.

Posted

Lets have a repeat of early-April 2023. Not always warm nor dry, but 5 of the first 9 days were clear

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

Manifesting into another truly foul day.

Classic British low pressure dross. Moisture that barely has the dignity for me to call it rain (I can barely see it in the air) yet it's just persistent, ongoing and will get you soaked in minutes.  

This climate is enough to make a nun sin, honestly.

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

TheOgre A shame Easter wasn't in March in 2012...

Seriously, not all March Easters are terrible. 1989, 1991 and 1997 were all mostly fine, settled and sunny.

*Stormforce~beka* If you go for a walk at 2am you don't notice the godawful weather so much as it's the middle of the night...  😉

• Thanks 1

Posted

In Absence of True Seasons Unusual for both the UK and southern Spain to share very bad weather. Normally if it's wet in southern Spain we're in a nice dry easterly...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
8 hours ago, Alderc 2.0 said:

Depressing model output this morning, very little to suggest anything other than low pressure after low pressure to cross the UK right through to the end of at least the first week of April. Autumn continues we into its third season…

Make that its fourth.

The ongoing eternal autumn-without-the-leaves began on June 26th, so today we enter its tenth month.

If anyone had told me 9 months ago that the bad weather would continue until beyond Easter next year, I wouldn't have believed them.

I suspect we are likely to record the wettest and dullest GMT period on record, and I suspect that only drought in May and June will prevent this being the wettest July-to-June period (mid year to mid year) on record.

It really is an extraordinary event, and not in a good way. For longevity rather than intensity, probably the most extreme weather period of any sort I can remember.

Certainly far more extreme than the 2021-22 dry period, which was really only Nov 21, Jan, April, July and August here, with the other months being close to average.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Thanks 1

Posted
8 hours ago, SunSean said:

Looks like 2024 is shaping up to be the dullest & wettest year on record. I hate this country.

Given that these days, July and August are rarely particularly dry, and Oct-Dec usually wet, I suspect this does genuinely have a good chance of happening.

A very dry May, June and September would prevent it happening but if we get a mix of average and wet months for the rest of the year (a plausible scenario), it is a real risk.

More generally, with at best half of a spring, I suspect 2024 will be the least aesthetically-pleasing year in the past 40 or 50 years. Winter was a waste of space with no snow and little frost, "spring" this year is brutally dull and wet and completely lacks its normal beauty, summer is rarely much cop nowadays so my expectation is low (I'm thinking it'll be something like 2019 or 2020), and autumn sees unsettled on steroids returning most years.

Just glad I will likely be getting out of the UK for 2 months or so this summer. I wonder if it'll be the only time I see the sun for any number of consecutive days in 2024...

Oh well, only 280 days to New Year's Eve and we can consign 2024 to the wastebin of history where it belongs. Maybe 2025 will have a rare snowy January, a dry sunny spring, a warm-by-day, sunny summer and a benign autumn.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 2

Posted

In Absence of True SeasonsInteresting but, from the Met Office article: (

Similarly to the UK, the weather across Europe is rather unsettled,

Erm, maybe my school geography teacher was telling me lies, but I always understood the UK to be part of the continent of Europe, just like Sicily or Ibiza are, and just like Newfoundland or Manhattan are part of North America.

Being on an island does not divorce you from your parent continent. As far as I'm aware, Sicilians, Newfoundlanders or Manhattanites never suggest that Europe or North America is something "other" to themselves, it seems to be a very British thing.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
23 hours ago, raz.org.rain said:

as far as I know, years such as 1995, 2003 and 2018 are still close analogues so far. I believe GavsWeatherVideos even suggested 2022 as an analogue. But years such as 1998 and 2016 are also suggested as analogues, so the analogues seem to be split on either a legendary hot and dry summer or a dull and wet (but still warm) summer. Personally I'd rather have a crossover of 2018 and 2022, but I'm not holding my breath. Knowing our luck, at some point in spring we'll see a flip and end up stuck in a persistently dry pattern for a year.

Struggling to see how 1995, 2003 or 2018 are close analogues. The first three months of 2003 were unseasonably sunny and very dry, temps mostly unremarkable - so very different. 1995 perhaps had similarities in Feb but in March things have hugely diverged. And 2018 shared a dull wet March but Feb and early March were very much colder.

I do (unfortunately) see some similarities with 1998, but much wetter than that year. Feb 1998 was extremely mild but extremely dry in the south (maybe like Feb just gone but with the jetstream 200 miles further north?), March 1998 was very mild but less wet than the current month. Let's hope we don't have a wetter version of April 1998 as that would bring catastrophe.

More encouragingly I do see some similarities with 1989. That had a mild, dull and rather wet Feb and March, though much less wet than this year. (And of course, for those who fondly remember Easter Sunday, March 26 1989, conditions could not be more different...)

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
On 25/03/2024 at 13:44, raz.org.rain said:

'm seeing a lot of "spring on hold" posts on Twitter but perhaps they don't realise that we're getting neither warm nor cold weather. It's all just very dismally wet and unimpressive.

Hence, "spring on hold".

Actually it did feel spring-like for a few days, from Wed to Sun. We had warm and bright weather on Wed and Thur, and then bright cold weather with hail showers at the weekend. The traditional two faces of spring.

Dull and almost continuously wet (the weather the rest of the time) is not stereotypically spring-like in anyway.. it's stereotypical autumn weather. It's not dark before 5pm so it's not quite Nov, but it's certainly absolute Oct. And a bad Oct, at that.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
On 24/03/2024 at 20:42, Buzzard said:

I don’t remember being so hacked off with the weather last March. Don’t care what the stats say. This is worse. 

It's probably because March 2023 didn't follow 8 other miserable dull wet months...

• Like 1

Posted
On 24/03/2024 at 18:03, baddie said:

f you was to have the following for March/April, what would you choose

A. An extension of winter
B. An eternal autumn

A.

It would probably mean arctic northerlies, which are not that wet and often sunny.

I guess another way of phrasing it would be "which did you prefer, April 2021 or March 2023?"

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

I'm also worried that when we do finally see an end to these wet months, it'll be 1 slightly drier than average month (which will be moaned about incessantly by the usual suspects), and then back to record levels of rainfall.

• Like 3