Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Some sunshine earlier this afternoon, but clouded over in the last few hours, staying mostly dry.

image.thumb.png.f756609f2f30ecd80b206d61f4771263.png

I do get the impression given the last 7 days or so April is trying its best to redeem itself here locally. The sunshine hours as follows:

11th April: 3.8 hours

12th: 10.0

13th: 4.9

14th: 5.8

15th: 6.1

16th: 6.0

17th: 6.9

18th:  7.5

Out of around 110 hours of total possible sunshine, give or take a few, there's been 51 hours which is about 45% of available daylight, decent enough. 1st - 11th April had around 34 hours of sunshine in total. Whole month has had about 80 hours now, unlikely to reach the April average of 147 hours, but at least it won't be among the dullest Aprils on records which contained around 70 hours.

It's been fairly dry in the same period, just the odd few showers and most of that falling at night or early in the morning. it could be much worse is all i'm saying, and is an improvement to the first 7-10 days of the month. 1st - 10th April had about 37mm, 11th-18th about 12mm.

Edited by Metwatch
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Yet another cool day with rainfall. The 11th month in a row with 50mm+ gets ever closer. 

We have zero chance of getting average sun now. Currently on around 80 hours, will need another 100 hours to get there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

It’s actually turned out a decent ‘ish’ day. Some decent sunny spells and just 1 or 2 showers. Even an average day feels like a victory this year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

Metwatch Interesting that it's turning into another month with the brunt of the warm anomalies in England, especially the south. Considering the month is only slightly above average in Scotland, will this colder second half lead to just an average month for temperature in Scotland? Granted the anomalies are against the 1991-2020 averages, so no - but for the current era maybe.

image.thumb.png.de37e1abcfa823d68180514e3bc25508.png

Only at the 19th and a large swathe of northern England and southern Scotland are exceptionally above normal for rainfall.

image.thumb.png.22dfa25b5bd1b093f557d7516727dc1b.png

Granted its only the 19th but sunshine tracking to be pretty dismal everywhere. Absolutely no surprise given the south-westerlies that dominated the first half.

image.thumb.png.cfff8b01ffb24c7f6a98e5de25bcef66.png

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
5 minutes ago, LetItSnow! said:

will this colder second half lead to just an average month for temperature in Scotland? Granted the anomalies are against the 1991-2020 averages, so no - but for the current era maybe.

As much as I would like some more warmth before the month is done, there is a part of me that wants a cooler second half for 1) to get closer to my CET guess of 9.6C 🤣 and 2) is that well this month as few others have mentioned is undeserving of any warm records given the lack of sun and still a lot of rainfall overall, so I am glad in a way the CET will not end up in the low 11s, high 10s or even now the mid 10s like the wonderful month of April 2020 was.

Posted

LetItSnow! Dismal sunshine yes, though the overall figure does hide the fact that most of the overcast skies were in the opening week or so, and maybe around the 10th onwards, sunshine has been at least average in parts, maybe a touch over for some. We've definitely enjoyed very good sunny spells round these parts since the middle of the second week of the month. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Alderc 2.0 Believe it or not, I recorded 17.2C this afternoon, which is now the warmest it's got so far this year on my station. Pretty pathetic for two thirds of the way through April. 

• Like 1

Posted

This is, without question, the worst weather I have experienced in the UK and I’m an old geezer. Astonishingly miserable. 

Edited by Cambrian
Removed inappropriately extreme word.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

raz.org.rain Nope, colder and wetter than average now all the way to December, when a big old Bartlett sets up to give record breaking warmth! 😝

Edited by Don
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Another clear blue, sunny start to the day here.  Last few days, despite being a tad on the fresh side, have been pretty decent overall really for mid April.  Nout wrong with a NW’er here.  More please but cut the breeze!

• Like 1

Posted

I remember Atlantic 252  that was on the 18Z as well, could be proper grim. Still we’ve got sunshine this morning although it’s really fresh outside! Could be the first day of the year to get to 10hours for sunshine - tragically late if that is the case.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Ahh proper blue skies…

IMG_2338.thumb.jpeg.fa03ed8e6a2e19ec2b77be58b7d718f1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Think this has to go down as perhaps the worst 18 months of weather of all time? No summer, no winter x2, no Spring x2, only good weather I can remember is a week of summer in September.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Son’s first birthday party today.

looks like it’s going to be an indoor affair because despite it being dry and quite bright, the endless raging cyclonic wind will make it thoroughly miserable to be outside in. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, mild/warm summers and varied shoulder seasons

What are some synoptic set ups that are good certain times of the year but bad at others? Bartletts pop to mind, in summer they are good bringing hot anticyclonic southerlies (2018 and 2022 both strike me as Bartlett summers) but while not the worse set up in winter given that it at least can keep Atlantic lows at bay it’s the deathknell for any snow/cold. 

Posted

Clear blue skies, but only 12c. Up early to paint our iron gate, so another useable day👍

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
20 hours ago, raz.org.rain said:

Well that's pretty scary

I did some checking into this and all was not quite as suggested -

image.thumb.png.0c5f2cfce716e7cd1f67107fab853ca8.png

At the initial view of the earths surface temps it does not look good (above).

However looking at the last El nIno year and last year and this year tells a slightly different tale -

image.thumb.png.5e0dc49250bf21db1ca476b4ce965d6d.png 

Here we see only a small increase on 2016 and it looks as if we will soon be cutting down below last year.

I will look further into  this with a look at the northern, tropics and southern hemispheres in a further post but the better half is calling!! -

MIA.

Posted

So the forecast for London was milder but with low clouds. The reality is cold with sunny spells. Will they ever get it right.

Snowy L And the end of June for us in the SE, otherwise yes.