Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

Alderc 2.0 Low pressure to the south can sometimes equate to high pressure overhead or nearby which usually leads to easterly winds. Something like that occurred last year when there was an extensive trough across southern Europe in May 2023 which lead to quite a lot of flooding, but we kept high and dry under high pressure and that kept on through June. Now those easterlies can prove fatal for eastern coastal locations as many saw last year. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Lovely start to the day here.  Absolutely clear blue skies and ample sunshine.  Bit chilly so not perfect, but much better than most of the last 10 months or so.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

LetItSnow! I know what you’re saying, there were indeed hints of spring like daffodils coming out, and birdsong on a few days etc but all things considered, it just wasn’t spring like overall… not this side of the country anyway. Maybe different in London, which wouldn’t surprise me.

For me it’s considering things like light levels which were equivalent to October, rainfall and frequency of Tm airmasses which were more typical of October, and the temperature profile which was often typical of October.

A zonal spell in March, while I’d expect to be quite stormy, I’d also expect to be a lot brighter and not so balmy. Indeed, some of the weather this March felt more akin to October/November.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

LetItSnow! "Novel" is not the word I'd use to describe a climate where 9 months of the year is effectively the same weather, and you can get a warmer day max temp on a winter solstice than a summer solstice of the same year, haha.

Adjectives that I think are more appropriate, include:

Godforsaken

Woeful

Seasonless

Capricious

Rage-inducing

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I hadn't looked at the models for a couple of days and couldn't believe how poor it looked when I checked this morning. Its just constant easterlies with a trough to the south right out until May. Most days here don't get into double figures. It takes until 3rd May to hit 12C in fact. Not to mention it'll be raw, often wet and with little sunshine.

Mild, wet and dull to cold, wet and dull. Not the change I would have asked for!

Edited by reef
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.

Alderc 2.0 I doubt this pattern will last much longer, perhaps late April early May we will see a change to heights to our south or over us. 

Like others have mentioned May seems to have a low pressure anomaly to our south west and heights over us/Europe. That's expected most of summer. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Lovely morning, lots of sunshine. Despite it being chilly it feels warm in the sun. 

• Like 2

Posted

CoventryWeather zero confidence in others projections. All I know is these patterns are difficult to shift and when the do the usual herald a return of a westerly unsettled pattern. 

To be honest I don’t know why I care, I won’t even be here thankfully.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

CoventryWeather You just know it'll stay for months now. We can't get a single sunny month, or even a 2 week spell of sun now (something that would be expected in spring).

• Like 1

Posted

Alderc 2.0 Most peoples projections are based on their own preferences. Unless you’re a hardcore analytical weather buff or are really good at putting biases aside, “forecasts” are going to be an extension of what people want to see. Lots of people on here who like hot summers are dead set on a hot one, people who like it cool thinking it’ll be cool. I try to remain unbiased as possible. If it looks hot I’ll say it’s hot, if cold, then cold. 

Edited by LetItSnow!
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter

reef I imagine the temperatures will be better than the models suggest because they always underestimate. I think we'll have a May 2023 like situation (obviously cooler since it's a month earlier) but I can only hope that leads into a June 2023 like situation!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Ok it's chilly in the wind but we get lot's more sun in the SE from these conditions compared to the mild SWerlies last month where we had consecutive days of 0 sunshine..

• Thanks 1

Posted

Sun Chaser Just not with the July 2023 bit tacked on after? 😂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer

The European early Spring ends with a bang!

IMG_7973.thumb.jpeg.018374dc8bf49676d7530fe3fe95eff0.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

Mostly sunny in my ends today, pleasant. Bit chilly but far better than the constant cloud and rain we had for so long.

I'd love if it were a few degrees warmer to better enjoy the sun strength at this time of year, but I'll take what I can get at this point! 

PXL_20240418_103501787.jpg

Northwest NI that is actually insane!

• Like 3

Posted

LetItSnow! I like warm with at least average sunshine, and I know that we will get a dull summer this year.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

*Stormforce~beka* Hopefully it will warm up very soon. 🙂 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
9 hours ago, LetItSnow! said:

No denying the month was springlike to me even if it was dull and wet.

To me it felt mostly like October or a mild November, as was the rest of the winter apart from the 2 weeks in the middle of January. For Febuaries to feel spring-like they would be drier and sunnier while still mild. The best example of this here was February 2023, but a lot of Feb 2019 felt like spring and similar with the second half of Feb 2021.

Abnormally early flowering is just a byproduct of it being very mild which might make things look like spring has arrived early, but the feeling of spring in the air is still non-existent if it's dull and wet. I'm sure similar happened also in December 2015 which almost no one would have called that spring-like, more just an extension of autumn.

Edited by Metwatch

Posted

Metwatch The definition of spring-like is iffy in this country when you can have such Aprils such and 2011 and 2012 contrasting eachother. But what I meant, and maybe ir was not the best word to use, but that early flowering and budding and such remarkably persistent mildness meant that the month felt like a particularly gnarly spell of weather in late March or April. The mildness combined with the local exceptionally early budding and flowering meant that to me it was spring-like, but not everyone has the same definition. 

Posted

LetItSnow! The Feb just gone was closer to an average November than any other month. Av max of 12c and a mean of 9c is pretty close to the average November mean of 8.4c.

Rainfall 100mm, again closest to Novembers 67mm. Sunshine 52 hours is closest to Decembers 54 or Januarys 63, but a dull November can often see sunshine totals in the 50s.

Back to now. Although it's sunny today, we will need 9-10 hours every day for the rest of the month just to get into the 170-180 hour range, let alone ending with a sunny month.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1