Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Colder but how cold and for how long?

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
Just now, Chrisover93 said:

Would this be south of the M4 event 

Depends how the low evolves from there 

looks like it’s deepening but disrupting a little at the same time 

at day six not worth over analysis 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Nick123 said:

Is that where the winds meet to create a fun zone? Wish I was better at terminology lol

Would probably be shown as a trough with those arrows on it 

very much a snow maker but not worth pinning your hopes at this range 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, storms
Just now, bluearmy said:

Would probably be shown as a trough with those arrows on it 

very much a snow maker but not worth pinning your hopes at this range 

Yes just nice to look at, couldn't have been drawn better for me If I'd done it myself lol

Posted

Huge 12z runs to come out soon, obviously won't be definitive but should shed some light on 2 possible snow scenarios next week. 

a. The possible slider/disturbance from the NW Tuesday.

GFSOPEU06_126_4(1).thumb.png.55cc7f73217d6b949d0d2fa60eb0fc2f.png

b. The potential snowmageddon from the Southwest on Wednesday.

UKMHDOPEU00_162_4(1).thumb.png.83e6ac16944c3f327029a7149b125c70.png.

Let's see if these scenarios are still on the table.

But I see some subtle hints: 

a. That the feature from the NW not making it past Southern Scotland/Northern most parts of England, whilst

b. The feature from the SW barely makes it into Southern England, or blows up and heads way north into Northern England. Each scenario obviously having huge ramifications on whatever your locality.

Not even that bothered what the charts say after Wednesday now, as is way beyond FI in this setup, any track of Wednesday's low if it happens at all won't be decided until <T24 .

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, storms
Just now, Nick123 said:

Yes just nice to look at, couldn't have been drawn better for me If I'd done it myself lol

And thank you for taking the time to respond by the way

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

For me GFS is on a wobble, there’s a whole lot of winter weather to get through over the next 7+ days….indeed it’s 3c here now….bloody cold.  
Excellent consistency from Tamara, I really am focussed on 20/1….I fly to Austria for ski trip to Kaprun…..snow is good in the Alps….I don’t want an issue at Gatwick….but I’m on ‘watch mode’

BFTP

• Like 6

Posted
6 minutes ago, Catacol said:

Do my eyes - and my refresh button - deceive me? Has the MetO just put out an updated medium forecast for next week and then retracted it back to yesterday's within an hour? Hmm. Maybe my computer is broke. I'm off for an MRI shortly - my knee is definitely broke unfortunately... 😞

Meanwhile if you do nothing else today please read Tamara's surfing post and avoid being a slave to NWP output in the unusual pattern that is beginning to unfold. NWP doesn't deal with blocking patterns very well and tends to default too quickly to default westerlies when the blocks get hard to read. That's not to say that week 2 isnt going to get less cold - I think it looks likely that it will - but such phrases are relative and folk should keep in mind that Glosea Feb forecast from yesterday.

I just had a team meeting and we discussed the potential impact of snowfall next week. First time I've done that since 2018. Gave me a warm, fuzzy feeling. What is it about snow that is so alluring? 

Best post a chart to keep the ModPolice happy. @Scott Inghamday as start of the proper cold feed now looks a nailed on certainty. Scott - early creme eggs are yours....

image.thumb.png.fbfcaab5beab9d7c83e974a6f5561685.png

Indeed you are correct..they have ...your eyes are fine 🙂

Posted
5 minutes ago, Catacol said:

Do my eyes - and my refresh button - deceive me? Has the MetO just put out an updated medium forecast for next week and then retracted it back to yesterday's within an hour? Hmm. Maybe my computer is broke. I'm off for an MRI shortly - my knee is definitely broke unfortunately... 😞

Meanwhile if you do nothing else today please read Tamara's surfing post and avoid being a slave to NWP output in the unusual pattern that is beginning to unfold. NWP doesn't deal with blocking patterns very well and tends to default too quickly to default westerlies when the blocks get hard to read. That's not to say that week 2 isnt going to get less cold - I think it looks likely that it will - but such phrases are relative and folk should keep in mind that Glosea Feb forecast from yesterday.

I just had a team meeting and we discussed the potential impact of snowfall next week. First time I've done that since 2018. Gave me a warm, fuzzy feeling. What is it about snow that is so alluring? 

Best post a chart to keep the ModPolice happy. @Scott Inghamday as start of the proper cold feed now looks a nailed on certainty. Scott - early creme eggs are yours....

image.thumb.png.fbfcaab5beab9d7c83e974a6f5561685.png

Don’t think so catcol but wrong thread to ask !

the mist is now clearing for next week (the envelope shrinking)  and if the ens retain consistency over next couple runs for next weekend then we should have some confidence out to day 10/12.  For now, there are too many clusters in the 10/15 day period 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Ghost of winters past said:

Indeed you are correct..they have ...your eyes are fine 🙂

Mild spell cancelled next weekend ? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
3 minutes ago, Nick123 said:

Think that it looks more like a trough which was moving South but may stall rather than a streamer bringing in a succession of showers from the North Sea. Anyway getting a wee bit imby so we shall leave it here please.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
5 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

T63 on icon and stronger heights in the Atlantic vs last run - expect a quicker and colder northerly 

IMG_2655.png

IMG_2656.png

Yes, this looks a cleaner northerly, and at T90, quicker plunge of cold south than 6z, T96:

IMG_8454.thumb.png.9d54c73ba9bd0c1a7fb1b44fc38d592e.pngIMG_8455.thumb.png.0642bff1dfd0a9638e774409ac8ec83e.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
1 minute ago, MATTWOLVES 3 said:

It officially Mattwolves day as the met do indeed signal a milder push by next weekend 🤣

But there's scope for significant falls of snow during the run up to it! And as always and like Tams points put there's alot going on and this may only be a minor blip with drivers looking good again later this month.

To sum up I reckon lots of exciting times in the days ahead.

Now let me just buy my informant a beer 🍺 🤣

There’s a lot going on.  I will be fascinated to see how the models manage to contrive a snowless breakdown to mild out of this!  🙃

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES 3 said:

Its officially Mattwolves day  @AdrianHull the met do indeed signal a milder push by next weekend 🤣

But there's scope for significant falls of snow during the run up to it! And as always and like Tams points put there's alot going on and this may only be a minor blip with drivers looking good again later this month.

To sum up I reckon lots of exciting times in the days ahead.

Now let me just buy my informant a beer 🍺 🤣

The 19th was when we were looking at the low pushing into the south wasnt it? thats next friday, thats "by next weekend".... so would suggest its likely to be rain?

• Insightful 3

Posted

Afternoon guys...this ICON run looking really good!..it appears we can't have it all in when one part of the run is good the other part isn't...that's evident in the icon run,not as good over greenland this run..but better over iberia😊

Edited by Lukesluckybunch
Addin
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
7 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

Afternoon guys...this ICON run looking really good!..it appears we can't have it all in when one part of the run is good the other part isn't...that's evident in the icon run,not as good over greenland this run..but better over iberia😊

It is reamplifying much more though it looks like off the ESB, which maybe should hold the Atlantic off for longer down the line

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

An even better ridge on the ESB on this 12z ICON run. It joins up with the Greenland High and stops the real cold air in the states from spilling east into the Atlantic.

To compare:

00z left

iconnh-0-144.thumb.png.de93d8853499b91ab8c52229a4c25649.png   iconnh-0-132.thumb.png.4ceba1e779aa670eb5fe44a8f7c3d280.png

• Like 9

Posted
7 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

Another run that upgrades mid term.. 

Would not be surprised if gfs gem and ecm upgrade to 198 and then downgrade   defo theme with mid-term upgrades.  Hopefully we can keep kicking mild can down the road 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

There's more than a hint on the Icon of what the GEM was showing a couple of days ago, before dropping the idea.  Possible North Easterly on the cards!?

image.thumb.png.d9a8d6d1502b2b2eae2cee19416b281d.png

Lovely run

• Like 5