Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Colder but how cold and for how long?

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

Ukmo says I’m going to be ignored for 10 days at least again.🤣

IMG_1187.gif

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow in winter Warm Sunny Summer
Just now, sebastiaan1973 said:

Who's quote is that? 😉

I spy with my little eye a scandi high 👌🙌🥶

• Like 3

Posted

Evening all,did not have to wait long for northern blocking to show it’s hand with Marco Patanga stating that Easterly QBO looks to have occurred all pointing to another round of very cold temperatures with a -NAO all due to SSW reoccurring all possible to begin before the end of the month.Fingers crossed of course 

• Like 4

Posted

The GFS is evil!! how can it keep doing this to us?  another easterly to chase in FI, I'm sure the devil programmes their computers

• Like 8

Posted
1 minute ago, cyclonic happiness said:

The GFS is evil!! how can it keep doing this to us?  another easterly to chase in FI, I'm sure the devil programmes their computers

Control 

IMG_1189.png

• Like 5

Posted
16 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Here we go, next cold chase starts at T+300, according to the gfs. 😂😆😅

h850t850eu-17.webp

That's some serious WAA there. Looks very similar to the pattern just before BFTE 2018

image.thumb.png.3f0fbf8f7fed83a4a5a7365b731ade11.pngimage.thumb.png.cccb1c6cf8093af6c6adf65e2969e888.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, ice. Very hot or very cold.
3 minutes ago, sebastiaan1973 said:

Who's quote is that? 😉

It's funny how much talk there has been about a back loaded winter, seasonal models and EC46 showing a blocked February, and lo and behold, the first day February appears in the FI charts, it features a monster Scandi High 😁

Now let's get it to 0h, without tripping over all the hurdles in between...

• Like 5

Posted
38 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Not often you see this type of anomaly lurking about Scandi... that's a decent signal.. here we go again !

image.thumb.png.af5ccc1fd3db5dc2a492f383fb5513f6.png

Them charts at +288 hours are as reliable as any other chart at that range. More or less pure guesswork.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Suspects this is a slightly early reaction to the rising AAM. However, until the sharp rising event happens and the pooling of momentum distributes, I don't think the models will settle on any one feature. The long term is far from being resolved like this cold period was (sort of) in my opinion. For now, I'm going to stick to the mean. Don't be surprised if it's gone next run, it'll be very likely to be gone but it's a sign of what the rising AAM over the next week could possibly push. I'll do a proper update maybe later or tomorrow. 

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Not quite as ridiculous as it looks but gfs op definitely over doing the signal at this time.  Something to follow in fi for a few runs to see how long we have to wait for it to repeat 

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

Posted

I understand why some can’t be bothered with another chase, stick with ukmo out to T120. 

some of us enjoy theme/cold hunting.😄

IMG_1191.png

IMG_1190.png

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, phil nw. said:

Yes I think so feb.The split today quickly reforms hence the collapse of our block later this week.

It looks like any Scandinavian heights will come from the expected mjo movement and momentum increases.

Good to see Gfs is starting to pick this up.

It could be a downwelling wave from the warming at the end dec into Jan. three to four weeks wouldn’t be outside the expected range. The cross sectional of the atmosphere later may show how the weaker flow comes about through the run. 

• Insightful 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
Just now, bluearmy said:

It could be a downwelling wave from the warming at the end dec into Jan. three to four weeks wouldn’t be outside the expected range. The cross sectional of the atmosphere later may show how the weaker flow comes about through the run. 

Unlikely, the surface patterns seem surface driven and generally the vortex is in a recovery state. Whilst I realise this is the 00Z run, I find this the most likely solution. Wavebreaking is too weak from the major SSW so it won't be that and the reflection from the minor SSW has already happened. 

gfs_nh-uzm-epfluxes_latprs-xsect_20240116_f312.thumb.png.d89fce8aa34ac218ed25a479b9c0befe.png

• Insightful 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold with a lot of snow
5 hours ago, AO- said:

To conclude. Two members are synoptically interesting at day 12. So there still is potential from the 27-28th onwards. Now we have to get it within the reliable with some improvements.

GFSP13EU06_288_1.thumb.png.258e9d81de57f4e2b5e77143cfe7636a.pngGFSP25EU06_288_1.thumb.png.e9fbb7ee208169754bde9dd31b1eb997.png

This is what I mean by improvements. Great run of GFS12. 

GFSOPEU12_288_1.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

Not quite as ridiculous as it looks but gfs op definitely over doing the signal at this time.  Something to follow in fi for a few runs to see how long we have to wait for it to repeat 

Looking at the early stamps, it's not without support, not much.. but it's there, see how the later frames fare

GFSPANELEU12_264_1.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

They are some GFS ens that go for a more anticyclonic outlook by the 25th but whether that leads to blocking or it just falls flat remains to be seen. Chilly in the south if there is little wind...

image.thumb.png.23c3d3d4dbb273f2e3c679aa14a99ee3.png OP

Others...

image.thumb.png.c1ef757278c2a5f62104d5cf35eadba2.pngimage.thumb.png.389d5a2be7929211e9a01d9cd61e4f63.pngimage.thumb.png.6ff318f3099d85599fe6fa7984944d0c.pngimage.thumb.png.62cb67dd898660e3a6f9f7402b635b1b.pngimage.thumb.png.cc0fe92a46e3fbfdbaf1e6c5e1edb21a.pngimage.thumb.png.e1332ba1e5499dc4e8bc23ae844a829a.png

So some signs high pressure will try and push north. Could end up becoming exceptionally mild if it fails. At least it won't be like late December / early January... that was a seriously grim period of weather

• Like 5

Posted

Interestingly the Meto Deep dive was emphasising the chances of high pressure for the week following next. Showed a chart for that week with a high bang over us.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Some support for the op on the ensembles, height rise through the UK looks probable, Perturbation developing the Scandi high T276:

IMG_8522.thumb.png.493d37cc7fe3ba7d0a4c99c51509e6f0.png

Promising…but a long way to go on this one yet.

• Like 7