Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Isha, Amber ⚠️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.
Just now, CLH said:

The hype which desensitises people isn't because of storm naming or warning, it's because of how things are reported.

When you have the likes of the Express with their exact date a wall of snow will bring armageddon, it's hardly surprising people don't take storm warnings seriously.

Yes. This.

Currently working in Leeds and rain is starting. Glad I will be at home in an our or so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Historical weather events. ❤ the seasons! Winters crisp snow!

It's extremely windy here already and the worst of the winds are not due till 9pm, it's going to be preety bad by the look of things. Just been out securing stuff in the garden and it really does feel like this could be a very interesting and dangerous afternoon/evening across the UK and Ireland, take heed of the warnings ⚠️ ⚠️ ⚠️ 

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey and mild!
22 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Seems very odd that met office have blanketed the uk in warnings and left a small section out. For instance , follow the A44 towards Oxford /London from where I live and about 18 miles down the road it's in the clear?  Chipping Norton is about 22 miles away from where I live , and that's in the clear, and yet Chipping Norton is one of the highest towns in the Cotswolds, at about 700ft ,much higher than where I live! I think the wind will be even worse for Chipping Norton than my location ,seeing it's height and exposure. .....uummmmmgh !

I live west of oxford very near the amber cut off. Perhaps later I'll walk a mile to the left and report back 😆

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

The same Medium impacts are part of the warnings from MO

but within the Amber area, they are more likely.

This is important

Screenshot 2024-01-21 11.30.01.png

Screenshot 2024-01-21 11.31.05.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Must admit, having the coverage we do of warnings is better than it not being mentioned.

I usually hear about warnings and then follow things on here. I suspect alot of the public will hear of warnings in the news and then watch the forecasts themselves.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!
56 minutes ago, minus10 said:

Interesting that the London area , parts of central and eastern areas only left out of the amber...what is it about this part of the country that would result in the winds being somewhat less strong given that parts of cambridgeshire are in the amber. .also given the large population of the London area and home counties which is as i understand is taken into account for the warnings...

Screenshot_20240121_103539_Chrome.thumb.jpg.07dbcf9ceb365bb16f1839ae2d7572ee.jpg

St neots is nearly always on the edge of every warning, fully expected that! Bizarre though given the forecasts, I'd have thought a blanket amber was appropriate. ..

Edited by James1979
  • Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Snowyowl9 said:

What storm was that only a brief 30 min severe squall with no damage here..

No severe gales have reached here yet..but tonight is the first..

image.thumb.png.ccdf65a6b67f205ea558f8a8721c0134.png

You must have missed the news and the coverage and ignored the named storms list. it was not a squall we had several hours of 60+mph gusts and someone was killed during that storm too. Tonight is far from the first storm of winter.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Jo Farrow said:

The same Medium impacts are part of the warnings from MO

but within the Amber area, they are more likely.

This is important

Screenshot 2024-01-21 11.30.01.png

Screenshot 2024-01-21 11.31.05.png

The amber over Scotland has a low likelihood of HIGH impacts now

0121highimpamber.png

• Like 5

Posted
11 minutes ago, Jo Farrow said:

Naming of storms is a communication tool, to highlight a severe event. The MO warnings show the detail of areas/ likelihood and impacts. The winds last night caused power outages in local areas and it sounded lively outside. That the actual storm has yet to arrive has hopefully highlighted to people that maybe travelling home a bit early on Sunday would be a good idea or moving activities a few hours earlier might help today. To prepare outside stuff, NOT to put out the recycling tonight ready for Monday morning pickup (although I see someone in my street has done exactly that)

Being a 'storm' it's not a medal of highest wind speeds, it's about potential impacts and letting people know to make preparations and, hopefully, informed decisions. Monday morning travel could be impacted, it's nice to to have a heads-up in good time. After the event, the stand-out impactful ones will have an easy label - like Desmond's rain, Arwen's winds and Babet's coastal onslaught. 

Why anyone would object to weather warnings because of  political correctness’ or any other such nonsense is quite the mystery. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Posted

West and NW Ireland under red warning from this evening with rest of the island under amber according to Met Éireann. It’s incredibly gusty already. It’s going to be a long day!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Are the warnings likely to be amended later if the need arises?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
5 minutes ago, Fiona Robertson said:

In my humble opinion, informing peeps of possibly incoming, damaging weather allows them to make an informed choice. NOT telling them takes away that ability to make an informed choice. If they inform, then it is your choice whether to take note or ignore it. If they don't inform then they have made the choice to ignore it for you. Which one is the nanny state? Weather warnings are dependent on probabilities. They don't dictate what weather you are 100% going to get. I don't begrudge a weather warning which alerts peeps to possible damaging weather just because the edge of the warning area was out by a few miles or because some in a more sheltered position didn't get it so bad. To repeat, it's all about allowing peeps to make an informed choice... operative word being informed.

Exactly this, just spoke to a mate and he's taken heed because of the warning and is busy securing things and moving what he can inside on his farm which is exposed on top of a hill, he said better to be safe than sorry 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Fiona Robertson said:

In my humble opinion, informing peeps of possibly incoming, damaging weather allows them to make an informed choice. NOT telling them takes away that ability to make an informed choice. If they inform, then it is your choice whether to take note or ignore it. If they don't inform then they have made the choice to ignore it for you. Which one is the nanny state? Weather warnings are dependent on probabilities. They don't dictate what weather you are 100% going to get. I don't begrudge a weather warning which alerts peeps to possible damaging weather just because the edge of the warning area was out by a few miles or because some in a more sheltered position didn't get it so bad. To repeat, it's all about allowing peeps to make an informed choice... operative word being informed.

This in spades.   Although tiktok generation seem to have lost agility and ability to use common sense.

Local gala day (lithgy marches) has a saying "safe out, safe in" which fits with how people should look after themselves.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Rocheydub said:

West and NW Ireland under red warning from this evening with rest of the island under amber according to Met Éireann. It’s incredibly gusty already. It’s going to be a long day!

0121ishaMEteireann.png

• Like 7

Posted

Just to illustrate what I see going on here, there was a complaint a wee while ago about Met Eireann naming a storm because "it wasn't that bad in Leicester"...not Leinster, Leicester.

• Like 5

Posted
4 minutes ago, Schnee said:

Are the warnings likely to be amended later if the need arises?

Always.

The Met Office will be keeping an eye on the warnings all day. Met eireann do warn using numerical limits, not so much impacts so a different way to the UK. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1