Hot?
IGNORED

Storm Isha, Amber ⚠️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
Just now, WYorksWeather said:

Now deepened to 961mb.

image.thumb.png.42b9d6a33fa0d02b73a5108e4cad425f.png

UKV 09z run looks to be deeper than the 06z with higher gusts.

image.thumb.png.5d6570326651dbda15b24ddedbc3b631.png

image.thumb.png.e1412296400710aa5dd939f6523df5d6.pngimage.thumb.png.888af27c8d947ba4c262d9b0dac0372d.png

The ICON 09z run is also a couple of mb deeper than the 06z run, it has the storm at 950mb strength by 5PM

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Here is the Meteociel wind gust observation chart as well:

image.thumb.png.e919b95bffc4f4831c3f495b928ee77d.png

Highest so far seems to be 116km/h (72 mph) at Capel Curig (admittedly at over 200m ASL). Definitely think the most exposed areas could approach 100mph.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Mcconnor8 said:

UKV 09z run looks to be deeper than the 06z with higher gusts.

image.thumb.png.5d6570326651dbda15b24ddedbc3b631.png

image.thumb.png.e1412296400710aa5dd939f6523df5d6.pngimage.thumb.png.888af27c8d947ba4c262d9b0dac0372d.png

The ICON 09z run is also a couple of mb deeper than the 06z run, it has the storm at 950mb strength by 5PM

Thanks for this, will be interesting to see how well the deepening conforms with observations.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather

I am fed up with this account on TikTok. Dark predictions has no clue about weather and does not even live in the UK. Despite this he racks in millions of viewers who can’t be bothered to look at the actual forecast.

IMG_4927.jpeg

• Like 7

Posted

I'll be delighted if this storm finishes-off our rotten old conservatory.

@The Tall Weatherman You know what to do, start your own channel. There's money to be made from clicks.

Edited by Wivenswold
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey and mild!
Just now, Wivenswold said:

I'll be delighted if this storm finishes-off our rotten old conservatory.

😆 Can we have live updates please? 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hurricanes, and my favourite tornadoes
2 minutes ago, The Tall Weatherman said:

I am fed up with this account on TikTok. Dark predictions has no clue about weather and does not even live in the UK. Despite this he racks in millions of viewers who can’t be bothered to look at the actual forecast.

IMG_4927.jpeg

i see him on my fyp too. he always uses clickbait words.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Jo Farrow said:

The amber over Scotland has a low likelihood of HIGH impacts now

0121highimpamber.png

NW,NE England and NI also included in that. 
Do you think a red may be issued?

Edited by Penguin16

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
Just now, Penguin16 said:

NW,NE England and NI also included in that. 

Yes, can you include your location area in bio, ta

Posted
2 hours ago, IanT said:

It’s winter here in the UK.

A storm can be a storm without being historic.

A cold spell can be a cold spell without being historic - as we have just seen.

Would it benefit us to return to a time when forecasts were forecasts without hype?

In the pages I've read, and the forecasts I've watched this morning, I've seen 'violent', 'potentially damaging', 'severe' and a debate about wether this is a one in 2 or one in 5 year event. 

Yours is the first mention of 'historic' I've seen.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

A rough night ahead for many in what has been a rough season. To have 70mph wind gusts forecast for here is a rarity and for such a long period of time is even more rare. 90mph + winds are a rarity anywhere in the UK aside from on top of a mountain.

Storm Pia was around 60mph I think in these parts and that felled numerous trees, knocked roof tiles off houses, including in the centre of town, and caused a lot of disruption across the county. To think this could be 10mph more! Granted there are other things to take into account, for example the ground was sodden.

I read someone's post (I think on here) that pointed out that wind speed related to the likelihood of damage is logarithmic. The increase of force on a structure caused by a wind of 70mph as opposed to 60mph is greater than the increase of force caused by 60mph as opposed to 50mph and so on. I am not clever enough to work out exactly by how much but there is a calculation out there.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever Mother Nature cares to throw my way

Fairly common for my neck of the woods , although seeing F11 on the inshore waters forecast is "quite rare"  .. battened down now, winds gusting  up at F9+

image.thumb.png.5c2f60b20ddd92b5c4982117c1904b18.png

I would anticipate Isha's cold front will be quite an aggressive feature, more than likely responsible for some of the inland peak winds

Edit: Added link to Torro, in keeping with Eagle Eye's detailed & informative post 

https://www.torro.org.uk/forecast

Edited by StingJet
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Thunderstorms, Snow
15 minutes ago, The Tall Weatherman said:

IMG_4927.jpeg

I got banned by him for saying you should listen to the met office and not him😂 

• Like 8

Posted
16 minutes ago, The Tall Weatherman said:

IMG_4927.jpeg

Tik tok is a joke anyway 

Just now, DevinW said:

I got banned by him for saying you should listen to the met office and not him😂 

dont worry about it lol 

• Like 3

Posted

This isn't going to be a 1987-type event but from my experience from my railway days, it takes one weak tree to bring whole region's transport infrastructure to a standstill. It's just a bit more likely in the Amber warning area.
Likewise with the power grid. So prepare for the worst even if it turns out to be a non-event in your neck of the woods.

Conservatory Cam is doable but I think Big Jet TV on You Tube will be more interesting.

Edited by Wivenswold
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
1 minute ago, Supacell said:

A rough night ahead for many in what has been a rough season. To have 70mph wind gusts forecast for here is a rarity and for such a long period of time is even more rare. 90mph + winds are a rarity anywhere in the UK aside from on top of a mountain.

Storm Pia was around 60mph I think in these parts and that felled numerous trees, knocked roof tiles off houses, including in the centre of town, and caused a lot of disruption across the county. To think this could be 10mph more! Granted there are other things to take into account, for example the ground was sodden.

I read someone's post (I think on here) that pointed out that wind speed related to the likelihood of damage is logarithmic. The increase of force on a structure caused by a wind of 70mph as opposed to 60mph is greater than the increase of force caused by 60mph as opposed to 50mph and so on. I am not clever enough to work out exactly by how much but there is a calculation out there.

and that the MO warnings look at the likelihood of strong winds/heavy rain etc against impacts to come up with the chosen colour warning. 

MO "These impacts can include damage to property, travel delays and cancellations, loss of water supplies, power cuts and, in the most severe cases, bring a danger to life. We show this combination of impact and likelihood in a matrix"  

So Sunday night may not see as many impacts as say the same weather event on Monday morning, nor a core of severe gales hitting the M4  as Highland Scotland. But for individuals there is still the risk of dangerous conditions and incidents.

A good mention there of the sodden ground too

• Like 7

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Problem is a tree through the roof has the same impact at 12:00 as it does at 00:00hrs.

Warning should be based solely on the expected speeds regardless whether it's ten sheep in the peak district to 50 sheep in a park in town.

Posted

Just had a look at Dark predictions. I was surprised to see that most of the UK seems to be in Ireland. Had no idea it had moved!

Seriously, I do hope people are not taking this Guy seriously. 

• Like 3