Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Cold spell ending - what next?

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related discussion only
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. For purely emotional reactions to the models, the new model emotions thread is also available. 

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

Please see the model discussion guidelines for more information about posting into this thread.

Posted
10 minutes ago, TillyS said:

It does indeed look serious and ought really to be taking more of our attention.

Although it can obviously be discussed in here too. There is a dedicated thread on the go for Sunday into Monday here

https://community.netweather.tv/topic/99787-possible-storm-isha/?do=getNewComment

• Like 5

Posted
39 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Well im going to have a look at EC 46 regardless..

The model was seeing HP in our locale now we need to see if it can nudge the high north...

Slowest retrogression ever !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

All hell’s broken loose on the extended clusters, T264+:

IMG_8538.thumb.png.d7ca7b435f8a113470c896152e2f60d1.png

It’s like the model’s got wind of something 😀.

Even on clusters 4 and 5, which continue the +NAO regime, there are blocking attempts, but they don’t take hold.

Clusters 1 and 6 build a Scandi high, I imagine the different members will mean different outcomes for the UK here, but the general pattern is what is important this far out.

Clusters 2 and 3 show retrogression towards Greenland.

Reckon will take a few more suites to get a direction of travel. We could end up honing in on a scandi cluster and a mid/east Atlantic one. And I doubt we’d avoid a U.K. mlb cluster on most runs! 

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Posted
45 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Well im going to have a look at EC 46 regardless..

The model was seeing HP in our locale now we need to see if it can nudge the high north...

Welcome back proper nw🤣🤣🤣

• Like 4

Posted

I want cold and snow as much as anyone my young son constantly asking when is it going to snow enough to go on sledge.

But I just can't see us getting opportunity for at least 3 weeks.

I know MJO forecast is just that but it's not trending in a good direction.

A few days back ECM and GFS both had MJO reaching phase 7 at decent amplitude.

Now ECM has it barely reaching for phase 7 and heading for COD and GFS looks even worse diving into the COD from phase 6 and looking like it's going to cycle back to phase 5. 

image.png

• Like 2

Posted
30 minutes ago, TillyS said:

Not the ECM.

Without any northern blocking and those powerful SW winds up over the top, and warming Scandinavia, this is a recipe for a flattening of the high - kicking it out across northern Germany. If you watch it from T198, to T216, into T240 this is the process. Which is about the worst possible outcome for UK cold.

Screenshot2024-01-18at19_56_45.thumb.png.f6e8ccaa88150830117f38486d61404b.png

Far be it from me to say you're wrong but you could be wrong. So much depends on the orientation of any block.  An elongated block does allow colder, drier continental air to be advected from the south east over especially southern Britain (I'm in East London so shameless local plug).

There's also as always the possibility of fog and frost (what is termed on here faux cold) under an inversion so while I appreciate for snow fans this is all horrible for cold fans it offers some possibilities. Oddly enough, I wouldn't want to see the HP move too far NE as the shorter the sea distance for the airflow the less likely it is to be diluted by a passage across a relatively warm (even then) stretch of water.

• Like 5

Posted

ECM 12z broadly similar to GFS on temperatures - very mild from around 22nd-26th, then something nearer normal after that. Still the possibility of a daily record break during that very mild interlude.

chart(75).thumb.png.aa3a5fa230bf40772e3eaecf54959b0d.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
9 hours ago, RainAllNight said:

A summary of this morning's model runs.

Deterministic runs up to day 7 (Thu 25th)

The Monday (formerly Sunday) system now has less of a "dartboard" shape on these three models, and ECM has similarly re-imagined the Tuesday-into-Wednesday system. ECM still offers the most generous ridging after the second system has passed.

animjjc6.gifanimqga6.gifanimrzj1.gif

Ensemble means at days 10 & 13 (Sun 28th & Wed 31st)

These are a little better than last night's (see my quoted post for those). It looks like much of England should be dry next weekend, at least.

image.thumb.png.c24a18653ff0f71f312cb0787c283456.pngimage.thumb.png.37755b245f6f224bf3444f72934370c4.pngimage.thumb.png.b4474da3176a50d1abcba15b7ea537cf.png

image.thumb.png.fa339b4ebd1946d05e64bfe2d41f6fef.pngimage.thumb.png.d815a13e52db4ae29bd8587a5443fab8.pngimage.thumb.png.c3e2c0cfe3bcfedbabc8f3280c0354ab.png

A summary of this afternoon's model runs.

Deterministic runs up to day 7 (Thu 25th)

The specifics of the string of nasty weather systems visiting us between Sunday and Wednesday are still undecided, and others will do a better job of discussing these than I can.

ECM again makes the most effort with the ridge at day 7. The ridges shown on these charts do not look like they would survive, but the ensemble means for day 10 below strongly suggest that there will be a further, more robust ridging attempt subsequently.

animswg9.gifanimecv9.gifanimzel4.gif
animpvx9.gifanimwtm0.gif
animrgj0.gifanimmfz7.gif

Ensemble means at days 10 & 13 (Sun 28th & Wed 31st)

These are a significant improvement on this morning's (see my quoted post above), so we have a promising trend emerging (for dry, and possibly also for cold).

image.thumb.png.d098cd411c365ac13cbac29f3ec97571.pngimage.thumb.png.ab1384dcb163cedf6d7c842b2e498e1d.pngimage.thumb.png.191ccc72c2d554fa2536d535c3d956f4.png

We have one dissenter at day 13, but it's the weaker model.

image.thumb.png.616f4030df5aa9bb7d07e3e99ce99ecd.pngimage.thumb.png.d6863b596a58e380084eb52d045970ae.pngimage.thumb.png.6710d9db60e72b28904afe256533d36e.png

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 3

Posted

Certainly mega mild after this week, for a bit ... Would be tempting to get the BBQ out if it wasn't for the small matter of the gales.

A week down the track and it's really much harder to see what is going on. There is evidence for extremely different possible outcomes and I don't think there is any clear way forward, despite a few fairly opinionated-sounding posts on here tonight that may claim to know for certain.

I think some interest still in the pipeline for February and the fact that we are at such an unknown juncture and potential fork in the road makes it pretty interesting regardless of the outcome.

Edited by BurwellWeatherWatch
  • Like 4

Posted

The Reading ECM meteogram also looks to have downgraded temperatures a little towards the end of the month. However, it doesn't at this stage look to be a pattern that is compatible with anything really cold in this period - just some hints that the wind might turn more towards a westerly or north-westerly rather than south-westerly, which moderates the temperatures somewhat. The wind probability diagrams on these charts are very useful.

image.thumb.png.25e622533c0788cb343bd6d8fd8ade77.png

Again, proper cold, if it comes, will come in February. I still believe that to be the case.

• Like 3

Posted

It is uncanny how the gfs does seem to pick up a pattern change first, and then the ecm gets interested a few runs later.

I thought the other day that we would accelerate towards to Scandinavian high solution in the final days of January, but then the gfs stepped back from this and made me look stupid, hopefully this isn't another false dawn.

Would like to see a hlb sooner rather than later if mjo does lose amplitude, although the other teleconnections may be enough on their own to sustain it  in February.

Edited by Battleground Snow
  • Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, TillyS said:

They are not 'firming up' on this.

There is very little in the ECM to support it as the Atlantic is not in abeyance and any high pressure at T240 is just as likely to get flattened by the Atlantic. There isn’t any support from the UKMO out to T168. Even the GFS operational is out on a limb with the idea, which anyway was out at T300 or so:

Screenshot2024-01-18at19_45_58.thumb.png.fe70555bcfc1866676b5ee680f2493a2.png

That doesn’t mean that the Atlantic won’t blow out. It might. And eventually it will. But please let’s not gild the lily. We have at least a week (could be a fortnight or more) of wild and mild according to the latest runs. By the time this hits at the end of this weekend, we’ll certainly know we’re back under the influence of Atlantic storms. It looks pretty serious:

Screenshot2024-01-18at19_51_01.thumb.png.8c0dc579f55f377ffb8bae3e065b0930.png

It does indeed look serious and ought really to be taking more of our attention.

Think you've misquoted Anthony...

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Quite often transitioning phases of ENSO or similar spark a significant change and the +VE IOD collapse is no different. Amplified MJO going into phase 6-7 soon and that could well have a significant response by mid February here. For now, the best we're looking at is the rising GLAAM and phase 5 ish response. However, the +VE IOD collapse has aided the potential for a larger MJO-GLAAM tropical and subtropical forcing for that mid-month ish potential. Wouldn't be surprised if we saw a long lasting Scandi high signal with the +VE NAO meaning nothing with the late Winter MJO 6-7 response signal and high GLAAM, that vortex is pesky to shift but not impossible to block. Scandi high being one of the better blockers I can think of other than a Scandi-Iceland dipole which I think occurred pre-minor SSW last Winter which was coming out of a -VE IOD phase.

Edited by Eagle Eye
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1