Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Methuselah just find it on online👍😊

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.

In Absence of True Seasons it was standard years ago but unfortunately due to CC it's not anymore, they now have just little reminders of the past you could say and not as long lasting. There was a poster on here from Estonia, forgot his name and he said older people mentioned that winters were way harsher years ago over there. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

cheese there's a pretty consistent theme among those who cite historic decadal variability and yet ignore all the other more recent statistics.

Dark Horse it sounds like the Baltics have now got the climate that the UK had decades ago.

edit: I think the poster was @IcySpicy

Edited by raz.org.rain
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

Raining again now in London. The media is actually talking about how wet it's been and will continue to be, for once, which is good. 

WWW.GOOGLE.COM

Environment Agency releases 70 warnings, with some schools closed and ferries and trains disrupted

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

raz.org.rain They never show any data that would either support or refute their hypotheses. . . 🤔

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and Snowy Days

Ooooh what's that outside my window?? More chuffing rain! Seriously someone invent those satellites like in that film Geostorm so we can turn off that poxy atlantic guff. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

East Lancs Rain thanks for this, really interesting. 

If we look at just the last 10 years, London's Summer average max high in July has increased further to 25c. Yet to be seen if that maintains over the next rolling 30 year period, but you'd assume it will due to CC.

Posted

cheese

I agree, but the lack of cold is just as pronounced on the western side of Europe. Some ex work colleagues from the Netherlands told me that between the 60's - 80's it was common to skate on frozen canals in most winters, that hardly ever happens now. 
As a side note, their accents made me laugh, they reminded me of those 2 Dutch Cops on the Fast Show

Edited by Arch Stanton

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

East Lancs Rain We certainly need a Beast from the East. Its not looking good, i do over a thousand miles a week and the state of the ground is shocking everywhere, mild weather is the last thing we need, frost is needed and dry conditions

Edited by markyo
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Cor, you literally cannot go one day on this forum without people going on about climate change. I have no animosity to you guys fearful of the climate but i'm bored of it. I joined this forum for the laughs and banter about our poxy weather & it was a fun place to moan and share experiences & frustration! Now, it's just like reading through a BBC article. A lot of the fun has been zapped out of the forum and replaced with negativity. Maybe time to chip out of here but I will continue to post my sun tables for the fun! 🌞

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Posted
19 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

erm mild and sunny would dry it up. Freezing water would just cause lots of accidents everywhere.

Its the land i'm talking about!! It needs the frost desperately with dry weather.  Its nothing to do with drying up the land its the braking up of the soil that frost does that will be needed.Drying will only make the issue worse without frost

Edited by markyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
56 minutes ago, markyo said:

Its nothing to do with drying up the land its the braking up of the soil that frost does that will be needed.Drying will only make the issue worse without frost

I doubt that is true, or if frost even impacts the soil at all especially since frosts aren't strong enough across central and southern England to do much impact to deeper into the soil.

April 2020 and 2021 both quite dry and extremely sunny months, 2021 had the frosts, 2020 didn't. There were no differences in the so called "braking of the soil" itself on farmland. Both months the soil dried up nicely, bringing much welcome respite from a very wet winter.

Frosts in April i'd say is worse since that will affect tender plants or vineyards if they are blooming earlier, which is becoming more common in most years. If there is going to be a something ridiculous mild in mid to late winter, it's best to not turn colder early to mid spring. The cold in April 2021 was had a lot of negative impacts, which a lot who don't grow food wouldn't have noticed much.

image.thumb.png.fc4c93504714cf33bdf589482d121d90.png

@Arctic HareAgree completely with wanting an extended dry period, but to accelerate evaportation rates and get things drying up quicker, you'd want to be looking for as much sunshine as possible and more warmth, rather than cool and/or cloudy a lot of the time, but still dry, which would make it take longer for the ground to have water removed via evaporation.

Edited by Metwatch
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Regardless of what farmers may or may not need or want, and I'm not dismissing their importance at all... cold and wet or mild and wet would both be catastrophic for riverside towns like mine. "Don't build on the flood plain, then" is a bit pointless when the riverside buildings here have been around for more than 500 years in some cases! Apart from anything else, Bewdley is a tourist town and so as we move towards Easter it becomes ever more important that people can feel like it's a nice place to visit and to be. If half the roads and car parks are under water, they won't come.

We need an extended period of dry, even average rainfall, and we need it basically right now. Temperature is way less important to those of us in towns.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
14 minutes ago, Metwatch said:

@Arctic HareAgree completely with wanting an extended dry period, but to accelerate evaportation rates and get things drying up quicker, you'd want to be looking for as much sunshine as possible and more warmth, rather than cool and/or cloudy a lot of the time, but still dry, which would make it take longer for the ground to have water removed via evaporation.

Oh, absolutely. Warm and sunny over Easter is the best possible in any year, but even more so now! But simply in terms of people deciding whether they'll come into town at all, even cool and cloudy would be a large improvement. Yes the ground would still be wet, but that's not a huge issue for tourists in a town. They just don't want to be rained on, or to have trouble reaching the town centre/car parks in the first place!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

raz.org.rain Actually that is most likely true. For the last 5 or so years snow has randomly just melted even in the winter. Sad but true that the UK climate is slowling going towards more North and the East. 

Posted

Metwatch Sorry disagree totally, i've seen the state of the land, so much arable is will be implantable. Vineyards are a irrelevance to be honest, crop production will be. We need frost just as much as dry weather in February, your quoting April, why? I'm referring to now and next 6 weeks

Edited by markyo
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

In Absence of True Seasons is it possible there using AI for the forecasting these last few months as short range forecasts have been abysmal .Met eireann included

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

markyo Agree re importance of frost for soil etc but a Beast from the East would just bring tonnes of precipitation (like it did before) in the form of sleet, snow, hail etc surely?. which means more moisture for the ground.

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
1 hour ago, markyo said:

We need frost just as much as dry weather in February, your quoting April, why? I'm referring to now and next 6 weeks

Okay, March 2022 or 2020 might be a better recent example as we've passed February no turning back to what's already been and the damage it's done with excessive rainfall. We also won't see much more if any, stronger frosts this month.

But the second half of those Marches, both were quite dry, settled, with the odd frost or 2 otherwise mild to warmish by day, I'd think farmers would have appreciated those type of conditions? But I just can't see why frosts which wouldn't even penetrate much anyway, would have any impact on specifically making the soil better as we head through spring, dryness most important. Regardless of that, I'm sure us and anyone can agree on is that a dry spell whether a warm or a colder one, is very needed, with more sunshine

Edited by Metwatch
  • Like 3

Posted

implantable

adjective

MEDICAL   specializedUK  /ɪmˈplɑːnt.ə.bəl/ US  /ɪmˈplæn.tə.bəl/

An implantable device or tissue that can be put into or attached onto the body:

😂

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety

markyo  As far as a Beast from the East is concerned, when I have been looking at temperature anomalies over the neighbouring continent, there seems most of the time a lack of cold air to tap into, so any easterly winds would probably bring claggy drizzly crap (i.e. the usual let down following the hype). What we need is a big anticyclone right over the UK for a couple of weeks. 2023 was the fourth wettest year on record and 2024 has started as 2023 ended, wet, there has been almost a complete absence of decent settled spells since the ridiculous September heatwave, hence why the ground is saturated and the rivers are frequently elevated. We are currently only one stalled low pressure system away from widespread destructive flooding.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety

Markus03 That has been happening throughout my memorable life (since the late 1980's). It is the done thing in winter from my observation for cold spells to have a couple of inches of snow which is gone the next day, or cold but bone dry, or cold with a couple of inches of snow and the cold hangs on, but zero precipitation until the inevitable mild spell arrives. Much of my memory of historical winters is clouded by windstorms which the 1990's delivered plenty of. When it comes to cold winters, the period between 2008 and 2011 stand out, plus the freezing March of 2013, but the coldest periods were exceptional (i.e. 2010, coldest December for over 100 years, March 2013 coldest since the 60's), not the norm, and certainly not something anyone in the UK should expect to see almost every winter, and even in those exceptional cold spells, the snow depths were rarely anything to get excited about (even December 2010 didn't see more than six inches of snow in Horsham and only then for a very short time before it thawed due to a milder interlude).

I have made good progress on my new allotment during the cold dry spell in January and have half of it dug over, I'm now hoping for an end to this every other day has to be wet regime so I can break up the compacted soil on the other half and get a clump of nettles dug out.

Edited by al78

Posted

Metwatch dry needed more than wet, a frost would only affect top 2cm of soil, unless in Cairngorms. Tell me a farmer that works less than 2cm and I'll tip my hat.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3