Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn
1 minute ago, B87 said:

Why have warm, dryish and dull when you can have warm, dry and sunny? That would help with sunshine and drying out the ground

Because we can't always have our cake and eat it too, and given the choice I'd take dull and dry over another wetter than average month. A summer 2019-like month with very warm but also wet would be absolutely disgusting, especially given the current air moisture content.

Dry and sunny would be ideal but the ideal case isn't always going to happen, so if forced I will take the drier than average month over another wet month.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
3 hours ago, Scorcher said:

Only a few days ago the ensembles were showing below average 850 hPa temps for the forseeable- now the mean is above average throughout. So at least it's looking like it will be warming up.

Mind you I'd prefer dry with cold nights and average days than dull and damp with warm nights and slightly-above-average days!

Hope this isn't a case of the dreaded "at least it will be mild" !

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn

raz.org.rain Heatwave as in three or more consecutive days above 28°C, or just a notably warm spell for early May?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter
Just now, Summer8906 said:

Hope this isn't a case of the dreaded "at least it will be mild" !

The story of 2024 so far. At least February was mild! At least March was mild! At least April was mild! *ends up with the wettest dullest Feb-Apr on record*

raz.org.rain Very very true! Just seems so impossible at the moment

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Sun Chaser said:

The story of 2024 so far. At least February was mild! At least March was mild! At least April was mild! *ends up with the wettest dullest Feb-Apr on record*

I don't think any warm lovers were happy with February-April tbh.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

Alderc 2.0 Yes, GFS 06z op is non-stop unsettled until next Tuesday but I guess the 00z being better means there's still hope. In better news (for some), the return of changeable conditions for the week of the 13th takes a different form to recent runs, being a northerly rather than a full-on Atlantic onslaught. Should at least mean less wet and sunnier.

raz.org.rain Not one you have to take though, look at 1989. Dismal Feb-Apr (though much less bad than 2024) then the weather literally flipped on May 1st. If only the same could happen this year.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
2 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

Not one you have to take though, look at 1989. Dismal Feb-Apr (though much less bad than 2024) then the weather literally flipped on May 1st. If only the same could happen this year.

Don't rule out a 1989-style turnaround yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

CryoraptorA303 May 2018 was a wet month with thunderstorms but also very sunny. At this point I'd take a sunny and wetter than average month like May 2018 over May 2022.

Only the first half of June in 2019 was bad. 2nd half, July and August were pretty decent. July had average sunshine and August was drier and sunnier than average, and the summer avoided the annoying cooling winds that you get in the really poor summers like 2007, 2008, 2011, 2012 etc.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

Sun Chaser There's massive variances between the apps, it's always the way. This is what mine is showing - quite a departure from the sunny 20c you seem to be seeing!

As with pretty much all of pure forecasts, anything more than 24-48 hours out is to be taken with a massive pinch of salt. What will actually manifest for the west and east respectively over the weekend, is largely still up in the air. 

We'll have to wait and see. I'd love 20c, but judging my the dross that's plagued us for months, my personal bet is on something closer to my attached screenshot.

Screenshot_20240429-145604~2.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

Weather apps are all going for ~18° here for the next few days. Cloudy but so far no rain forecast for tomorrow with a southerly gentle breeze, it'll be a pleasant change to upper teens.

Posted

Summer8906 Well considering we've had plenty of cold and wet conditions over the last few days, I will certainly take it being warmer and unsettled over cold and unsettled.

It's not as though cool sunshine has been abundant recently. I'm just sick of feeling cold as I'm sure most are now.

Edited by Scorcher
  • Thanks 1

Posted

raz.org.rain We would need that summer 2022 repeat after a May 2022 if we were to have any hope at all of having even a remote possibility of normal sunshine levels for the year.

Posted

B87 Interesting as May 2018 wasn't wet here at all. Only 28mm. In this area it was definitely the best May of my lifetime and better than 2020.

Posted

Scorcher May 2018 had 58.4mm here, vs 2.0mm in May 2020.

Posted

Scorcher  B87 I think the vast majority of it came in that massive thunderstorm didn't it?

Posted

raz.org.rain Low-20s sounds more realistic but I wouldn't rule out a suddern turn to high-20s (or perhaps even higher) as we are now coming up to that May heat spike that occurs in almost every other potential analogue for this year, not to mention the current global situation etc..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Can’t really complain with the weather today. A bit of a breeze but loads of sunshine and feeling warm. 17c currently. 

IMG_2381.thumb.jpeg.a949dcc1f2eac0a13da9e2b4336d13cd.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Cloudy, light showers and cool where I am.

Hope to god this weather improves soon, the ratio of cloudy/wet days compared to sunny days is really beginning to do a number on me, I honestly didn’t think it possible this spring would be as bad as last spring but it has been so far.

Edited by TwisterGirl81
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Pure blue skies all day here and feeling warm in the sun, not a cloud to be seen, have missed days like this!

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Windy, cold and cloudy all day - just loving this spring...

• Like 3

Posted

CryoraptorA303 Nope, there were 3 days in the final week with more than 10mm of rain each, with the wettest being the 23rd with 19mm. The month had 7 rain days which is about average for May.

Compare that with May 2020, with 2mm and only 1 day with rainfall.