Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Cold Spell General Chat Part 10

Posted
i mean when do you think it will start?? not how long it will last sorry to sound snappy

actually looking at latest forecasts i wouldnt say til about 1pm i could be completly wrong though

Really? I remember only 9 years ago, there being SERIOUS ice all over the pavements after a considerable snow event; people were sliding all over the place. But school wasn't closed and everybody was expected in. Most people got the bus, and gritters were doing the rounds constantly.

Health and safety.....my a*se. Kids are too sheltered these days.

our school also because of ice because to get to my school you have to go up a steep hill lol anyway ive got a week off now yipeeeeee lol hopefully there will be more snow!

Posted
Your school shut? For less than 10cm of snow??

What is the world coming to!?!?

Stupid isn't it.

I noticed on E Midlands today they didn't even mention the snow whereas Look East never stopped going on about throughout the programme so areas like Leicester couldn't of been that hard hit. Infact if you look on weatheronline for leicester they only had 3cm of snowfall!.

I have seen more snowfall during a snow shower in the 80's compared to today. A classic cold spell by what I remember as a child is snowfall around 15-30cm which used to lie for a week at least with temps never getting above -2C and dropping to -10C!.

I used to enjoy watching the news whenever snow had fallen but today I have found the programmes irritating and a complete joke.

Posted
actually looking at latest forecasts i wouldnt say til about 1pm i could be completly wrong though

our school also because of ice because to get to my school you have to go up a steep hill lol anyway ive got a week off now yipeeeeee lol hopefully there will be more snow!

I thought you had a snow cover this morning?

Posted
Your school shut? For less than 10cm of snow??

What is the world coming to!?!?

I know PP. Whenever its snows in the South its chaos and the BBC loves to report.

Whenever its snows up North its never get menturn or as much chaos. Schools are getting more soft i think and i'm sure i been to school with 10CM of snow before.

Posted

I remember going to school during the blizzards of 79 and the snow had drifted to the roof of the school and you simply couldn't get access into the school.

One of these days a similiar blizzard will occur and it's not a case of if but when and I simply cannot wait until that day arrives to make people realise this wasn't a snow event but a light-moderate snowfall.

Posted
I thought you had a snow cover this morning?

ye i did all 13cm of it by the end lol but im just saying that its actually normally the ice there concerned about then the actual snow because of how slipy the road up to the school will be tommorow morning , just to prove i got 13cm for anyone who didnt see this pic earlier lol im quite proud of it actually :p

ps just looking out my window and car just slid sideways looking pretty dangerous out there now!

post-6161-1170979835_thumb.jpg

Edited by tom_f123

Posted
Stupid isn't it.

I noticed on E Midlands today they didn't even mention the snow whereas Look East never stopped going on about throughout the programme so areas like Leicester couldn't of been that hard hit. Infact if you look on weatheronline for leicester they only had 3cm of snowfall!.

I have seen more snowfall during a snow shower in the 80's compared to today. A classic cold spell by what I remember as a child is snowfall around 15-30cm which used to lie for a week at least with temps never getting above -2C and dropping to -10C!.

I used to enjoy watching the news whenever snow had fallen but today I have found the programmes irritating and a complete joke.

Oh the 80's......apparently, they were the dogs b*llocks for snow in the east of the country. I only remember as far back as 1989; but I remember the early nineties (1991-1995) pretty clearly as being much better than the stuff we get now. 30cm of snow was more like the sort of stuff you'd expect up here....particularly in the hilly county of Durham.

But the 80's....wow, my dad was telling me that he remembers back in 1982 that he had to dig his car out at one point because it was covered in snow. Living in the east back then was, at times, fantastic during winters in comparison to now. And no, I am not exaggerating, and yes there were bad years in the 80's and 90's..but there was MUCH higher frequency of events with 15cm+ of lying snow in certain regions of the UK.

Posted
I remember going to school during the blizzards of 79 and the snow had drifted to the roof of the school and you simply couldn't get access into the school.

One of these days a similiar blizzard will occur and it's not a case of if but when and I simply cannot wait until that day arrives to make people realise this wasn't a snow event but a light-moderate snowfall.

It wasn't even that eye, i am very disappointed with our dusting today. Still there's always next time lol

Posted

Now that is something I have never seen, and is just awesome.

ye i did all 13cm of it by the end lol but im just saying that its actually normally the ice there concerned about then the actual snow because of how slipy the road up to the school will be tommorow morning , just to prove i got 13cm for anyone who didnt see this pic earlier lol im quite proud of it actually :p

ps just looking out my window and car just slid sideways looking pretty dangerous out there now!

Very icy on the roads here....and we only got 1cm. But I expect school will be closed here, just like it is for you.

(People should walk to school instead, and bring walking sticks or something. Make travelling to school exciting! I actually remember when travelling to school was very nerve racking but also exciting because I would bring rollerskates with me to cover the final third.....)

This PC\Health&Safety crap has gone OTT imo.

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted
Stupid isn't it.

3cm i think they got there records wrong or that might mean the centre of leicester because just on the outside of the city we have 7-10cm on grass and 5cm on pavement 3cm on road

Posted

Well i'm going to bed expecting no snowfall during the night despite what the beeb graphics indicate.

Who knows i might see a touch of lying snow as i did this morning to my surprice. But its all melted(apart from where people left a pile of snow in there gardens) now due to that E wind which bought the warming affect off the sea which is sadly what may affect Saturday's possible 'event'.

Posted
It wasn't even that eye, i am very disappointed with our dusting today. Still there's always next time lol

More than a dusting we had around 5cm of snow which I would class as a light snowfall rather than a dusting.

I class snowfalls as this.

1-2cm dusting

3-6cm light snowfall

7cm-15cm moderate snowfall

15cm-30cm heavy snowfall

The media class it as this though

1-2cm moderate snowfall

3-6cm heavy snowfall

7-15cm amazing snowfall with GMTV extending their broadcast for a another 2 hrs

15cm-30cm end of the world

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
Stupid isn't it.

Yeah got around 4-5cm where I am on the outskirts of Leicester, hardly enough to close schools but it was nice to see a decent fall again only 2 weeks after the last one :p and for once it didn't melt during the day like it has done for the past few years!

Posted
More than a dusting we had around 5cm of snow which I would class as a light snowfall rather than a dusting.

I class snowfalls as this.

1-2cm dusting

3-6cm light snowfall

7cm-15cm moderate snowfall

15cm-30cm heavy snowfall

The media class it as this though

1-2cm moderate snowfall

3-6cm heavy snowfall

7-15cm amazing snowfall with GMTV extending their broadcast for a another 2 hrs

15cm-30cm end of the world

100% agree.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.
Stupid isn't it.

After reading that i've gone all nostalgic now :p I have fond memories as a kid of having to walk down the middle of the main road as the pavements were buried.

My parents have some pictures of the 1991 winter somewhere. Must try and find them.

One of them shows the snow hanging from the roof like a white duvet covered in icicles.

Posted
Well i'm going to bed expecting no snowfall during the night despite what the beeb graphics indicate.

Who knows i might see a touch of lying snow as i did this morning to my surprice. But its all melted(apart from where people left a pile of snow in there gardens) now due to that E wind which bought the warming affect off the sea which is sadly what may affect Saturday's possible 'event'.

They are feeble, gaunt victoria-beckhamesque showers anyway. Nothing to get remotely excited about.

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted
Now that is something I have never seen, and is just awesome.

Very icy on the roads here....and we only got 1cm. But I expect school will be closed here, just like it is for you.

(People should walk to school instead, and bring walking sticks or something. Make travelling to school exciting! I actually remember when travelling to school was very nerve racking but also exciting because I would bring rollerskates with me to cover the final third.....)

This PC\Health&Safety crap has gone OTT imo.

Just to add I remember waking up that morning to see the snow had drifted above our windows. Also we used to get ice on the inside of our windows which made my bedroom unbelieveably cold and I used to sleep in my parka jacket(fashion at the time!).

The 78/79 blizzard shall always live with me. The afternoon before there was a news flash on the TV warning of the blizzard coming that evening, the rate of snowfall was awesome with deep drifts almost instantly it seemed. we built igloos, used to tunnel into the snow drifts they were that deep!.

Why did we have to ruin our climate!.

Posted

hey there first post just joined :p ..live wolverhampton way...a good all day for us today...and just found this which hopefully wil lbring us a good amount soooon!!

http://www.meteox.com/h.aspx?r=holiday&amp...oop3uur&URL

looks like its quite intense...some reds in there....maybe a repeat performance!

Posted

my mom and dad said about a snowfall in they think 1983 when there were 3 foot drifts up the doors and they had to leave my 2 sisters in the house who wer only 4 and 6 lol as they waded through the snow to buy food lol that was in dudley wish i was around for them winters

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
Just to add I remember waking up that morning to see the snow had drifted above our windows. Also we used to get ice on the inside of our windows which made my bedroom unbelieveably cold and I used to sleep in my parka jacket(fashion at the time!).

The 78/79 blizzard shall always live with me. The afternoon before there was a news flash on the TV warning of the blizzard coming that evening, the rate of snowfall was awesome with deep drifts almost instantly it seemed. we built igloos, used to tunnel into the snow drifts they were that deep!.

Why did we have to ruin our climate!.

I wish I remembered snow like that :p I dont think I have ever saw more than say 6inches here in Leicester since I was born in 1988, never has it even come near to going through a tunnel in the snow or being enough to build an igloo! I would love to witness about 10 inches of snowfall on the ground with day time temps not reaching above 0, I long for the day I get to see it here in Leicester!

Posted
hey there first post just joined :p ..live wolverhampton way...a good all day for us today...and just found this which hopefully wil lbring us a good amount soooon!!

looks like its quite intense...some reds in there....maybe a repeat performance!

a warm welcome from me lol :p

Posted

Welcome to NW.

A case of clearing skies for your location tonight. The area of precip you see on radar may stay to the SW of you so a mainly cloudy,cold day for tomorrow. There could be a chance of further snow but this is likely to turn to rain once milder air sweeps in.

Hope this helps.

Posted

Welcome to net-weather.

:p

Hope you got a decent snow fall out of this 'event'.

Posted

i notice your in bilston im not to far away in sedgley i got 13cm by the time it all stopped how about you :p

Edited by tom_f123