Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Cold Spell General Chat Part 10

Posted

Welcome BHound. Hope you enjoy your stay, as long as you keep outa Osbourne's way (crazy but friendly mod) You'll learn alot here , it will be frustrating and fun at the same time. The storm season is the best.

Posted
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border

Welcome Basset Hound :unsure:

You'll learn a lot on this site. I know I have. Still learning in fact.

Posted

Very very wishfull thinking but I just wonder if the precipitation around the irish sea might keep developeing and push right into northern england... :unsure:

Plus the showers around the east coast of yorkshire are developeing a bit and pushing west..

Before anyone says dont be stupid! I know this is extremly unlikly but funnier things have happened with the weather before... :pardon::)

I remember once, the night time forecast was clear skies/dry just as I went to bed.. I woke up feeling quite optermistic only to whip the curtains open, to see 4" of snow and heavy snow still falling hard! lol

Posted

Bad news for Irish guys and gals on the east coast of Ireland.

The temps only dropped to 1 or 2 above freezing resulting in sleet and wet snow but no lying snow.

This did not altogether surprise me because I have never seen snow on the east coast from a front moving up from the SW.

The only time this happened was in Jan 1982 when a slow moving front moved up from the south on a persistant cold eastery flow.

Kippure, I guess you might have had some up the mountains?

Anway all my netweather friends in the UK, I really hope you enjoy this snow event. I will be thinking of you all.

--------------------

Regards.

John

My Weather Station (My Website) : http://leinster.earth.prohosting.com/

My Weather Station (Wunderground) http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation...sp?ID=IDUBLINP1

My favourite Webcam: http://195.196.36.242/view/view.shtml

Sacra member No.8.

NADSDLA member No. 1.

Got aload of snow, and theres more higher up. Its was the wet kind... It became heavier earlier 10am to 1pm and turned back to sleet.

Posted
Welcome BHound. Hope you enjoy your stay, as long as you keep outa Osbourne's way (crazy but friendly mod) You'll learn alot here , it will be frustrating and fun at the same time. The storm season is the best.

Cheers, Arrows.......I've already spotted Osbourne in the football thread. Is it bad form to wind up the mods on my first night? *smiles*

Evening, Cymru and Nimbus 20....thanks for the welcome. I think I'm pushing my luck with general chit-chat in this thread already, so I'll go and have a good look around the site and hopefully learn to post things in the right place.

Posted

Im really looking forward to this saturday actually. It might well turn out to be rain from start to finish for oxford, but with our base of snow keeping temps down low tonight (hopefully), and the low which has just moved through pulling those -5s back south a bit, and the ppn as heavy as it is progged to be on saturday, who knows. It looks like it will get here in the early hours again, which maximises chances anyway.

And metcheck predictions (unreliable though they are commonly accepted to be) of 15 odd cms of snow help. Theyve updated now and changed to a more sleety, rainy outlook, but temps still very low, so who knows what could end up happening? I admit its unlikely, but its possible enough to keep me interested.

Posted
Just went to have a look away from the houses towards the hills have had 7cm. here which isn't too bad I guess as I thought most of it had missed us. Gone very icy now, can't see the temperature rising a great deal tomorrow and saturday could be pretty interesting around here whatever happens.

Sunday too has possibilities for the higher ground from the Peak District northwards...what we don't want is Saturday's snow turning to rain. Just have to hope the cold holds through the weekend.

Posted
Im really looking forward to this saturday actually. It might well turn out to be rain from start to finish for oxford, but with our base of snow keeping temps down low tonight (hopefully), and the low which has just moved through pulling those -5s back south a bit, and the ppn as heavy as it is progged to be on saturday, who knows. It looks like it will get here in the early hours again, which maximises chances anyway.

And metcheck predictions (unreliable though they are commonly accepted to be) of 15 odd cms of snow help. Theyve updated now and changed to a more sleety, rainy outlook, but temps still very low, so who knows what could end up happening? I admit its unlikely, but its possible enough to keep me interested.

lol, dont take any notice of forecasts where you put your postcode in, there a waste of web space... :unsure:

Posted
Cheers, Arrows.......I've already spotted Osbourne in the football thread. Is it bad form to wind up the mods on my first night? *smiles*

Evening, Cymru and Nimbus 20....thanks for the welcome. I think I'm pushing my luck with general chit-chat in this thread already, so I'll go and have a good look around the site and hopefully learn to post things in the right place.

Welcome Basset Hound! Great County to live in :unsure:

Pity we missed out today but anyways....

I'm quite interested in what happens this Saturday. I think it might have a few surprises up it sleeve.

I know the frontal snow was disappointing further north, here etc but perhaps that is because the cold was strong enough to prevent it steaming through and bringing anymore than some milder air to the south? Ideally we'd like to see Saturday push further south and the -10 lobe that is set to encroach into the N Sea push further giving snow showers for the north and some action in areas similar to today? Cold versus mild battle, never goes the way you'd expect.

Posted

I little review of what happened in WBSHland today!

04:00, no snow, (according to mother!) 06:30 I wake up and all of a sudden it’s there! About a few centre metres and still snowing. -07:15 I leave the house, snow turning light and a bit sleety, with already first signs of thawing. Around 08:00 I’m on the bus and snow gets heavy again. At 09:00 it’s chucking it down fast with huge flakes! At 10:00 it’s turned to sleet and rain before at 10:30 turning to big snow flakes again! At 10:35 it’s more or less stopped and by 12:00 the sun has started to come out! By 15:00 most of the snow has thawed and by 17:00 I am walking home and it’s raining on and off again and you wouldn’t have known it had snowed at all! Bar a few patches of sluDoh a dumb swear filter got the better of me

Posted
Kinda strange here. 0.8c and fine drizzle currently falling. The worrying aspect is the ice forming on streets and pavements literally as the rain falls. :unsure:

It's finally turned to rain here too now, we managed to have quite a lot of snow from the north then easterly showers coming in since monday last big blast was around 9-10 this morning - lots of local school closures here too, much of the rest of day was showery then in pm slow thaw intermingled with more sleet/hail showers - we cleared a couple of inches from untouched areas - and now that the frontal system (easterly?) has merged with the earlier shower stream, temps are up and rain.

Just wondering if it will now cool down again.. or if we're set for a night time thaw (we barely struggled over freezing until this evening, currently around 1c)

..Hope you down south that got snow enjoy(ed) it - good fun eh? :pardon:

Posted
It's finally turned to rain here too now, we managed to have quite a lot of snow from the north then easterly showers coming in since monday last big blast was around 9-10 this morning - lots of local school closures here too, much of the rest of day was showery then in pm slow thaw intermingled with more sleet/hail showers - we cleared a couple of inches from untouched areas - and now that the frontal system (easterly?) has merged with the earlier shower stream, temps are up and rain.

Just wondering if it will now cool down again.. or if we're set for a night time thaw (we barely struggled over freezing until this evening, currently around 1c)

..Hope you down south that got snow enjoy(ed) it - good fun eh? :)

Although I'm in coastal location, there was a light sprinkling overnight. :unsure:

However, with the wind coming in of a warmish North Sea, any snow quickly melted and any showers during the day were of the sleety variety. :pardon:

It's has cooled down this evening and current temp is 1c (dew point 0c).

Here's hoping that the forecast for the weekend is upgraded.

Posted

Snowing lightly here at the moment,wind is virtually calm so the flakes are falling very slowly and peacefully to the ground.... :unsure:

Posted
well that's winter over with for another year

Dont be so sure, my monthly and other memebers monthyl forecasts do point to a higher chance of colder weather later in February and earlier in march, march is commonly a cold month, take last year for example here in tyne and wear we saw an easterly with 4 inches of snow so dont rule out any wintry weather yet. If you want to view mine and other members monthly forecasts look onmy blog (clcik sig) or click on blogs at the top of the page where there is various other blogs that contain weather details :unsure:

SM06

Posted
Welcome Basset Hound! Great County to live in :D

Pity we missed out today but anyways...

Evening, snowmaiden...... it was a bit of a let down today, wasn't it? But we never usually get any snow of any significance from any other direction than the East or North-East here. I wasn't surprised by the pathetic covering of.....ooooh, 1cm?, we got today at all.

Posted

Don't forget to pop you favourite snowy photos into the Monthly Photo Comp here:

http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?showtopic=36186

:D

I notice on http://www.xcweather.co.uk how temps are even dropping off to 0ºC around the NE coast now as winds have fallen light.

Posted
Evening, snowmaiden...... it was a bit of a let down today, wasn't it? But we never usually get any snow of any significance from any other direction than the East or North-East here. I wasn't surprised by the pathetic covering of.....ooooh, 1cm?, we got today at all.

LOL... London got 4 to 5 times more snow than Norwich!?

Posted
cannot belive we have had laying snow all day now its nightfall and its melting fast temp steady at 1C

snows still pretty thick on the groung here in stevenage

Posted
snows still pretty thick on the groung here in stevenage

What side of stevenage are you? still lots of snow here but now disappearing of the roads and paths

temp is dropping slowly now down to 0.7C the skys a very strange orange tonight