Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Earthquake!

MKN

Posted
My ol' whippet didn't move a muscle through all that shaking and rattling ..

or even when we got up excitedly to investigate :rolleyes:

BL x

I have to admit, whilst it woke my wife up (I was still up working on my PhD - which I've been doing with data from the BGS, ironically using British earthquakes from the past 25 years to help understand the pattern more), Dave the Whippet who was lying at the bottom of the bed didn't seem that bothered by it either.

Posted

:o I wet myself :blush:

Just kidding of course :rolleyes:

Living only about 10 miles from EMA, MrsL and myself both actually thought the start was an airplane (which I had just spelt as an aeroplane :doh: ).

I'm sure it was in two bursts. The first woke us up, then the second burst was worse, and made us (I say us, but I mean MrsL :lol: ) panic.

Have to admit, my first instinct was to rush and get BabyL.

Just a couple of pictures fell over.

Was definately alot stronger in terms of structural movement/noise here, then back in 2002 when i lived in Cheshire (Dudley wasnt it?).

Wierd thing was though...I heard the house shaking, but am wondering whether I actually felt any physical shaking.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

I was outside puffing my pipe at 0:58. Sounded like a roaring wind coming up (down?) the Valley (as they do when there is a blow on and the gust rises up through the tree line) but no shaking. I waited for the 'gust' but it never arrived. No shaking at all but we are on a mish mash of faultlines (hence the river patterns) so we may have 'floated' on top of the waves.

Pretty darn cool all the same. sorry for the injury and damage but like Hurricanes you can't help but marvel at the power unleashed.

Posted
It woke me and the missus up.

I said to her what the hell was that. Was going to say I bet it was a earthquake but thought that would have been a waste of time. I first thought it was a very strong gust of wind, but with the number of alarms that got set off outside made me think otherwise.

Checked the time on the clock (12.57am) so I could have a look this morning on the news or internet to see if it was a earthquake and there it was, all over the news.

I've always found that earthquakes *sound* (and often feel) like a long, sustained and strong gust of wind. If it comes at night, and you wake up, then your brain is not exactly at 100%- so it takes a few seconds to think "hang on....that was no gust of wind!" There be earthquakes!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Good morning folks! Excuse the pun but the earth did move for me and just about everyone else in the Vale just before one last nite. I woke to find my bed shaking and heard the stuff in my room moving about! Was not sure at first if I was dreaming, :rolleyes::doh: so i turned bbc news 24 on and they shortly comfirmed the quake! :blush: :lol: Quite a violent shake for a few seconds ,similar to the dudley quake of september 2002 here, but I did not hear a roaring sound like I did back then ,but I was then sleeping in a bungalow, so a lot nearer the ground! :o

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons
I have to admit, whilst it woke my wife up (I was still up working on my PhD - which I've been doing with data from the BGS, ironically using British earthquakes from the past 25 years to help understand the pattern more), Dave the Whippet who was lying at the bottom of the bed didn't seem that bothered by it either.

Bless our whippet dogs, LoL.

Mine also slept thru our garage being burgled a while back :-(

Perhaps it's a male thing .. :blush:

They're reading out lots of e-mails on the TV news saying that most men

either slept right thru it or just said to their v. worried wives, 'yeah I think

it was an earthquake, now lets get back to sleep' :rolleyes:

BL x

Posted

Eh? An earthquake? Well, the Earth didn't move for me last night......it would take more than that to wake me up! I know how to sleep!!

But.....how very exciting! We needed something to talk about!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

I was woken up by next door's dogs kicking off big-time at about 12:45am this morning. when they didn't stop (and the next door neighbour could apparently quieten them down, I popped outside and dogs were barking up and down the whole street. Not only that but there were also starlings in the roost over the road in flight and calling. Extremely odd. Then the 'quake hit and it was an impressive, if somewhat disconcerting 15 second impression of being in a fairground ride. Queue the contents of each house spilling out onto the street to examine chimneys etc.

It was quite violent here - of course subsequently found it that the epicentre was only 8 miles west of us.

Posted

I suspect this is all a conspiracy hatched by Paul to boost numbers on the board during the current boring weather period :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

"The US Geological Survey said the earthquake's epicentre was 205km north of London and 80km east of Sheffield."

"The quake was the largest to hit Britain since one with a magnitude of 5.4 in 1984."

Wow, what an event. Great to hear no-one was fatally injured or killed! I'm always quite worried because I live in Inverness which is on a fault, I know it's only a matter of time before an earthquake affects us again. The last big one was in 1901 but there have been little tremours since.

Also. Inverness' Kessock Bridge is the only earthquake proof bridge in the United Kingdom because of this. Fact. lol :rolleyes:

Edited by NorthernRab

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

As for Birds singing they sing all night long here anyway due to light pollution. What surprised me was despite the shaking no alarms went off bar one which always goes off anyway and the lack of dogs barking or any other activity.

The way I could hear the quake coming briefly suggested to me a major explosion and shock wave then I decided earthquake.

Posted

Considering how close I am to Lincs its little wonder the Earthquake felt strong, although not quiet as intense as the earthquake in the early 90's when the epicentre was in Peterborough.

What intrigues me is how my cat knew it was coming as she acted very strangely prior to the quake.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Earthquake or not, I'd forgotten what 'feeling the earth move' was like ...boom...boom :rolleyes: :blush:

anyways joking aside, here's the beeb link for the latest update

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7266136.stm

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted
Considering how close I am to Lincs its little wonder the Earthquake felt strong, although not quiet as intense as the earthquake in the early 90's when the epicentre was in Peterborough.

What intrigues me is how my cat knew it was coming as she acted very strangely prior to the quake.

When Quartz is stressed it not only 'glows' but produces electrical phenomena. Many 'earth lights' may be a result of tectonic stresses. Though we choose to surround ourselves with Emfs and maybe deaden our senses to such things our 'critters' remain a sharp as a pin and so sense the build up of stress prior to the 'break'. In California one chappie predicts quakes by the number of 'lost cat' reports in the papers as they tend to go AWOL before a quake so the reports increase in number in the local rags.

Posted
sense the build up of stress prior to the 'break'

Long article associated with this research here

Posted
Long article associated with this research here

Cheers Coast!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

That was great happened about 1am, a big roar and everything started shaking. Very unusual I've never felt one quite that strong before.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
Looks like I can no longer claim to be a light sleeper - didnt feel a thing!

I think that's because it wasn't felt as far south as Kent, although I could be wrong...