Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Ireland

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter
I was watching that band of precipitation all day hoping it would come further North, I knew it had something special in it......unfortunately though it just missed me by about 20miles. Will I see any lying snow this winter???? Tommorow night may hold the answer as it'll be at least this weeks best shot at it.

Evening Folks - To all living in Eastern counties of NI who have yet to see lying snow this winter (ME inc) - bbc local 2230hrs (Good old Celcilia) stated they have a weather watch for heavy snow for counties Londonderry/Antrim/Down late Wed nite and into thurs. No rain on the map just snow. Will it deliver? Latest charts show Uppers at -35C, 850's at -8 to -11C and dew points -1 to -2C for the time period. Any thoughts folks?

Posted
This is geting out of hand now,im tired 3 nights up all night,and another night to wait up,brilliant stuff.what a week.ive enjoyed it,but so tired :D

Yeah it's been a really good period for snow so far. Inches and inches of it in many areas - the East and Midlands especially. Very memorable. Some great pics.

Evening Folks - To all living in Eastern counties of NI who have yet to see lying snow this winter (ME inc) - bbc local 2230hrs (Good old Celcilia) stated they have a weather watch for heavy snow for counties Londonderry/Antrim/Down late Wed nite and into thurs. No rain on the map just snow. Will it deliver? Latest charts show Uppers at -35C, 850's at -8 to -11C and dew points -1 to -2C for the time period. Any thoughts folks?

I think so. Im not expecting the dumping other places in Ireland have got in the last few days but a few cm's surely in Northern parts and Eastern parts possibly later on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , thunderstorms and wind

Snow has now turned to rain and a gale force wind is raging.

Temp is 2.7C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Thoughts, yes I think it'll be snow, all the right ingredients plus bonuses lol, other thoughts are the intensity of the snow....the radar suggests it falling at a rate of 0.3mm an hour....so thats a bit well, crap.....but as you know it'd be hard to judge a scale of precip intensity until it arrives....I'd be expecting it to pep up and become heavier just before it clips the North Coast of Ireland.

On another note, with the radar pic for tommorow night that Eagle posted up, just look at the Snow showers lining up to the West and North of the main band! Tasty!

Posted
Thoughts, yes I think it'll be snow, all the right ingredients plus bonuses lol, other thoughts are the intensity of the snow....the radar suggests it falling at a rate of 0.3mm an hour....so thats a bit well, crap.....but as you know it'd be hard to judge a scale of precip intensity until it arrives....I'd be expecting it to pep up and become heavier just before it clips the North Coast of Ireland.

On another note, with the radar pic for tommorow night that Eagle posted up, just look at the Snow showers lining up to the West and North of the main band! Tasty!

Well i established today the snow shield here is caused by the energy fields given off by the Kilroot Power Station !lol :blush: Must be effecting you too watcher its guarding the entrance to the Lough !lol :cray: 2mrow nite may or may not prove my ridiculous theory !

Posted
Well i established today the snow shield here is caused by the energy fields given off by the Kilroot Power Station !lol :p Must be effecting you too watcher its guarding the entrance to the Lough !lol :D 2mrow nite may or may not prove my ridiculous theory !

Well we do know Snow can lye here and in Carrick though this year it has been a bit dissapointing for us East Coasters.....tommorow night it should fall as snow, I'd say around 75% risk of it being snow, remember when we are warmer than the sea a sea breeze occurs, when we are colder a land breeze occurs (heading out to sea) so with the winds being Northerly flow and the shift of air from land to Sea this should create a nice land based wind for us rather than a raging Easterly SST filled blast, thus Snowfall right to the coast...a Northerly or NorthEasterly are usually are best shot for Wintriness in the East, an Easterly need to be very well into the right side of Marginal to deliver right to the coast.

Posted

had a white out here in dublin for about 40 mins,heaviest snow i have ever seen in my life :p ,left about 1.5 inches of snow :D

areas above 100m in dublin got plastered,my friend up in the hills got out of the car and the snow was up too her knee's :D

she said at least a foot of snow had fallen and more in drifts :D

now heavy rain and all the snow is melting here :(

my snowman is getting smaller :(

:D

SP

Edited by SNOWPLOUGH

Posted
Well we do know Snow can lye here and in Carrick though this year it has been a bit dissapointing for us East Coasters.....tommorow night it should fall as snow, I'd say around 75% risk of it being snow, remember when we are warmer than the sea a sea breeze occurs, when we are colder a land breeze occurs (heading out to sea) so with the winds being Northerly flow and the shift of air from land to Sea this should create a nice land based wind for us rather than a raging Easterly SST filled blast, thus Snowfall right to the coast...a Northerly or NorthEasterly are usually are best shot for Wintriness in the East, an Easterly need to be very well into the right side of Marginal to deliver right to the coast.

Yes time will tell. Bed is calling. More watching tomorrow nite then. Nite all !

Posted

If Norn Iron can't get lying snow from frequent showers in a disturbed northerly airstream at the start of February then I'm giving up!!

Here's the 18z take on it, and look at all that lovely stuff lining up south of Iceland.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rtavn304.png

Edited by mountain shadow

Posted

rain has turned too moderate snow here and the temp has dropped too 1.3c down from 2c in about 10mins! ;)

EDIT : now 0.8c :D

SP

Edited by SNOWPLOUGH

Posted

Heavy sleet from about 8 o clock here that turned to heavy rain at about 10....id say if it was just one degreeC lower we'd be digging ourselves out at this stage :o ah we've had a good bit here so im not that sour

Posted
rain has turned too moderate snow here and the temp has dropped too 1.3c down from 2c in about 10mins! :D

EDIT : now 0.8c :rolleyes:

SP

Temp back up and the snow has turned too rain again :doh:

current temp : 1.4c

SP

Posted

Dry here in Jordanstown at the moment and quite mild. Temperature +4.1C so absolutely no chance of snow.

They do have an early weather warning for heavy snow tomorrow evening and the BBC have heavy snow for Belfast and a tempt. of +1.0 on Sunday but I'll believe all that when I see it.

Posted

Look at that radar, its hammering down sleety rain all night...SO close to armageddon. Damn you RTE and the Met with your bogus predicted snowfall :rolleyes:

Edited by minus86BriJ

Posted

Tonights snow showing up nicely on GFS 0z.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rtavn244.png

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rtavn243.png

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rtavn242.png

BBC breakfast news seemed to show snow from between 11pm and 8am for the eastern half of NI but she didn't even mention it her forecast, concentrating on england as usual.

Met Office site doesn't have any warnings out so I am starting to worry a bit.

Posted

I wouldn't worry, warnings from them lot will only appear once it starts to snow or during the day. My current temp is 1.4c, its still early though, I'd probably be looking at a max of around 3c today before dropping to around 1.5c> during dusk.

Posted
I wouldn't worry, warnings from them lot will only appear once it starts to snow or during the day. My current temp is 1.4c, its still early though, I'd probably be looking at a max of around 3c today before dropping to around 1.5c> during dusk.

Hey Watcher - just for a bit of fun, enjoy looking at these 5-day forecasts for Bangor - they will change during today but just at the moment, it's one of the snowiest outlooks I can remember for here :) :

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ni/...st_weather.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=1312

Posted
Hey Watcher - just for a bit of fun, enjoy looking at these 5-day forecasts for Bangor - they will change during today but just at the moment, it's one of the snowiest outlooks I can remember for here :) :

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ni/...st_weather.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=1312

wow that is good......though they do go a bit extremem with snow at a max of 6c on Sunday lol, unless of course its a morning event with milder air moving in during afternoon. Also I don't see tonights event on there.....it will arrive here before 6am as they state but probably around Midnight or just before.

Posted
wow that is good......though they do go a bit extremem with snow at a max of 6c on Sunday lol, unless of course its a morning event with milder air moving in during afternoon. Also I don't see tonights event on there.....it will arrive here before 6am as they state but probably around Midnight or just before.

Yes it'll definitely be before 6am - the local weather on BBC1 this morning said it might start off as rain before turning to sleet and snow.

Posted

I see that Dublin airport recorded almost 30mm of precipitation yesterday alone, and Casement a little less. The snow depths on the nearby mountains must be unreal at this stage!

Here on the coast, it might as well have been all rain. No covering at any point, just cold waterlogged ground.

Posted

Well I woke this morning at around 3.30am and it was bucketing snow, everywhere was white with around 2 inches, got up this morning and there was not a trace of snow to be seen anywhere, when it was snowing the temp was 0 degrees and this morning at 8am it was 3 degrees.

What happened????????

Posted

On croghan mountain west of me,theres at least 2 to 3 feet at the moment.

Modestly high ground nearby circa 900feet have between a foot and 18 inches with big drifts.

All rain here just 5 miles away from them by the coast.I know of several people completely snowed in up there now.It's simply incredible.

The wicklow mountain rescue got stuck trying to reach 2 cars stuck on the sally gap and had to ski to where the cars were in 4 foot of snow.

Edited by Tristrame

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
Well I woke this morning at around 3.30am and it was bucketing snow, everywhere was white with around 2 inches, got up this morning and there was not a trace of snow to be seen anywhere, when it was snowing the temp was 0 degrees and this morning at 8am it was 3 degrees.

What happened????????

Haven't heard from my missus today but based on what she said yesterday that would make it two nights running for you guys in Galway. Such a shame the temps haven't stayed a little lower for you, but I must admit, if it hadn't been for last weekend I'd be jelous of you just for having had the opportunity to see it.

Let's hope the whole of the British Isles is in for more tastes of a true winter over the next few weeks :D