Snow Watch Thread For Midlands & C Southern England

• Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

I'm expecting 40-60cm, will i be disappointed?

Posted
Dont take this the wrong way, but i think its going to be marginal for central low ground areas in S england

Well, Rain,sleet or snow. Its on its way. Just started to rain down here in bournemouth.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
i hear what your sayin there but with temps at 0c in brum and only 2c in oxford i dont think that rain will materialise!

Temps at -0.5c here, forecast to get down to -2 before the band of precip hits but even I am fretting over if it will be snow or sleet lol. I think I will get snow from 3-7am then maybe sleet and rain thereafter and washing the snow away, that is my only concern for Leicestershire. I am pretty sure it will snow for a start in the early hours but my concern is as the day wears on and it turning to rain.

I'm expecting 40-60cm, will i be disappointed?

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! With all due respect you will get snow and you will get maybe 5-15cm but 40-60 is WELL over what you will get.

Edited by andy_leics22

Posted

The GFS experimental snowdepth look rather impressive.

http://www2.wetter3.de/Animation_12_UTC/18_30.gif

Max temps look perfect. :D

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rtavn3017.png

Currently -0.9c with high cloud coming in and a light east wind,snow has refrozen.

Posted

Midlands today showed it getting sleety to the south of the region and around brum on the back edge, hopefuly it won't wash any snow cover away, which is the worst possible sight for a snow lover :(

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! With all due respect you will get snow and you will get maybe 5-15cm but 40-60 is WELL over what you will get.

HAHA! andy i was only joking :( but ye i think 10cm maybe bit more is possible .

Edited by tom_f123

Posted
Midlands today showed it getting sleety to the south of the region and around brum on the back edge, hopefuly it won't wash any snow cover away, which is the worst possible sight for a snow lover :(

Highly unlikely, Tom. I think we'd have to be much further south- somewhere like central southern England (hopefully!)

Regards,

Mike.

Posted
[The GFS is saying 50% chance for me in worcester and mainly sleet. Is this right or are we going to get some decent snow do you think? Anyone have any ideas if SW Mids will do well from this?

Has the GFS got it wrong or will it be close but no cigar agaijn with just sleet for us poor midlanders?

A repeat of Feb 2007 is expected. We'll get some, don't worry :(

Although I was a little worried that the precip charts shown in the BBC 6.25 forecast showed the Vale Effect with a dry area shown south of Brum .... :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Hmm i would say anywhere North Of Worcester and West of Birmingham will be those who keep the Snow. Elsewhere in the Midlands, plenty of Snow followed by some sleet seems likely and everywhere South of here Snow to Sleet to Rain. Wales is basically the Same for the Midlands though South Wales seeing similar effects of the South where Snow goes to Sleet then rain except High Ground though Central Wales doing fine. :(

Posted

i hope that there will be all snow tomorrow ... no rain or sleet.. what u think guys ?

Posted

Quite a moderate to heavy sleet now and blowing around like a blizzard and starting to settle on the car roof! i wonder how long this will last!

Posted

HAHA! andy i was only joking :( but ye i think 10cm maybe bit more is possible .

South of the region? So its ok for North Birmingham? :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
A repeat of Feb 2007 is expected. We'll get some, don't worry :(

Although I was a little worried that the precip charts shown in the BBC 6.25 forecast showed the Vale Effect with a dry area shown south of Brum .... :(

ill be happy with a repeat of 8th feb 07 (same week aswell thurs again) had about 2 inches although snow turned lighter and showery in the afternoon, will be something very similar

but not expecting another event on the friday, i think friday 9th was better than the 8th and unexpected

Posted
Sleet here now, where in East Dorset RU?

Im in the Wimborne area. It's now sleet with the odd big flake mixed in. Just starting to lay on the car roof slightly.

Posted
This is a good sign for us guys in the Midlands if Bournemouth has sleet and Dorset has snow!

You may be right but remember this is the leading edge and the "warmer" air is due as the front moves through or whilst it is moving through.

Having said that your location is good imo.

Posted
The GFS experimental snowdepth look rather impressive.

http://www2.wetter3.de/Animation_12_UTC/18_30.gif

Max temps look perfect. :wub:

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rtavn3017.png

Currently -0.9c with high cloud coming in and a light east wind,snow has refrozen.

just a random question... why on the temp chart in your last link u posted do u get -0 and then some just 0???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
ill be happy with a repeat of 8th feb 07 (same week aswell thurs again) had about 2 inches although snow turned lighter and showery in the afternoon, will be something very similar

but not expecting another event on the friday, i think friday 9th was better than the 8th and unexpected

February the 8th and 9th...Happy memories!

Once again a coincidence of the big event being on a Thursday when 2007 was Thursday 8th February too...

Also Last Summer the Storms always seemed to come at the Weekend or the begining of the week... :wub: :lol:

Posted
just a random question... why on the temp chart in your last link u posted do u get -0 and then some just 0???

Its like having two seperate scales...

0 and onwards

0 and downwards

Therefore it goes like this with temperatures when dropping...

0.1c,0.0c,-0.1c,-0.2c...

Posted
You greedy bugger you got loads up there already :wub:

Take a train 80 miles south we got hardly any left

sorry missed this earlier lol come and spend the day up here then lol

cher

x