Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Midlands & C Southern England

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Off topic, but I just got back from northants, Ecton nr Northampton to be accurate, and there was still nearly 8 inches of laying snow this morning...remarkable!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hot sunshine and snowstorms

Light snow falling here in Brownhills. Great birthday present! 21 today 21 today!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
Andy, Andy... do I sense some sour grapes here? I would have been terribly frustrated in your position, but the best course of action I recommend is moving to Market Harborough.

If i'd have taken the GFS at face value, I would have said -3C 850s were very marginal. But we've had heavy snow here when the GFS has said -1C 850s! The MetOffice tends to not look at the -5C mark as being the total cutoff between sleet and snow, like the GFS does. Thats why its not worth completely ruling out tomorrow's night event totally. In any case, early Tuesday it becomes far less marginal as the low slips off in the North Sea.

Not really sour grapes mate, it's just through the whole day today I have seen a few people from Northants talking about tomorrow night as if it's going to be 20cm of snow and blizzards. IF the GFS and ECM are correct the only blizzards Northants will be seeing is from one of those snow globes that you shake.

If the BBC are right then i'll hold my hands up and admit I was wrong, I am not so sure they are going to be right though.

Posted
This time it's a lot different though, haven't you seen the mild sector coming in with the low pressure?

Rtavn362.png

Yes, Andy, but as the UKMO and others have said, that front will hit the cold air to the north and readily turn to heavy snow. Coupled with the strong north-easterly wind, Tuesday morning could be as bad as we've seen this winter, if not more so.

All to play for!

Regards,

Mike.

Posted

post-6740-1234111122_thumb.png

it best be snow by the time that arrives, temp still dropping here down to 1c

Posted
andy i can see why your so worried lol, because were in prime position should the bbc be right almost seems like something has to throw a spanner in the works, and atm thats the gfs. lets just hope bbc have this one nailed on, as some1 else said if there still going for the same thing by 1030 tonight, you would have thought they will be fairly confident. personally im not going to be convinced till i see the lunchtime weather at 130 tomorow, infact probably not till i see it snowing lol

The 12z UKMO run comes out soon, will be very interesting to see what that says.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
Light snow falling here in Brownhills. Great birthday present! 21 today 21 today!

I had heavy snow on my 21st Birthday 9th feb 1986 what amonth that was , maybe tomorrow as well :lol:

Posted

getting tasty here now, snow is heavier and starting to stick on grass and pavements.

temperature down to 1.3c

below 1 then its showtime!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All the Interesting stuff

heavy snow now, starting to get a covering now temp 0.7c

Posted

getting tasty here now, snow is heavier and starting to stick on grass and pavements.

temperature down to 1.3c

below 1 then its showtime!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

We still have Heavy Snow here-I really hope tomorrows turns out snowy because it sounds like it could be the best snow event ive seen in years!

Posted

Pretty heavy snow the past 20 mins gone abit sleety again now as the lighter stuff comes through.

post-6161-1234111361_thumb.jpg

Posted

Been quite heavy the last 15 minutes and I have settled snow on grass, roofs, cars, paths and at the edges of the roads. Still more to come judging by the radar :)

OMG Wow flakes have suddenly turned huge!! Bigger than 50ps more like 5 pound notes!!!

Posted
Not really sour grapes mate, it's just through the whole day today I have seen a few people from Northants talking about tomorrow night as if it's going to be 20cm of snow and blizzards. IF the GFS and ECM are correct the only blizzards Northants will be seeing is from one of those snow globes that you shake.

If the BBC are right then i'll hold my hands up and admit I was wrong, I am not so sure they are going to be right though.

You do sound a bit bitter. If I got like this every time somewhere further north or south got snow and we got nothing or a lot less, I'd be a very miserable person.

This winter storm should not be underestimated and taking the GFS precip type charts particularly at this range as gospel is a big mistake to make I think.

Naturally those of us in Northants are excitable because we've had 3 significant snow events in one week and probably the most substantial falls here since Feb 1991. With more forecast by the BBC/UKMO tomorrow night there is always going to be interest. Not seen anyone ramping up snowfall depths though so not sure where you're coming from there at all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Indeed, i doubt the BBC would mention anything like Winter Storms and Blizzards if they had no confidence at all in it. Still the Heavy Snow falls here!

Posted
You do sound a bit bitter. If I got like this every time somewhere further north or south got snow and we got nothing or a lot less, I'd be a very miserable person.

This winter storm should not be underestimated and taking the GFS precip type charts particularly at this range as gospel is a big mistake to make I think.

Naturally those of us in Northants are excitable because we've had 3 significant snow events in one week and probably the most substantial falls here since Feb 1991. With more forecast by the BBC/UKMO tomorrow night there is always going to be interest. Not seen anyone ramping up snowfall depths though so not sure where you're coming from there at all.

snowfall depths will be 20cms+ guarenteed if this falls as snow. its whether its snow or not thats imo is yet to be decided.

Posted

I got my fair share of snow on Monday when we had 5 inches, I am just saying that if you are expecting loads of snow tomorrow night in Northants and it goes belly up then I'm sure the knives will be out for the Met-Office. It wouldn't be the first time they had got a forecast wrong either. Anyway it will down to the radar tomorrow night and current temps and dew points.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

This is much, much better. Temp at 1.1c, heavy snow and it is now settling readily. Some more to come by the radar as well.

Posted
I got my fair share of snow on Monday when we had 5 inches, I am just saying that if you are expecting loads of snow tomorrow night in Northants and it goes belly up then I'm sure the knives will be out for the Met-Office. It wouldn't be the first time they had got a forecast wrong either. Anyway it will down to the radar tomorrow night and current temps and dew points.

i know that its better to err on the side of caution, bt i feel like theres been too much publicity about this expected winter storm, and should it go belly up, there will be a huge uproar from us midlanders. i personally feel(hope) that the gfs is just being a tease and ukmo/ecm will give us more of an idea.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
This is much, much better. Temp at 1.1c, heavy snow and it is now settling readily. Some more to come by the radar as well.

Its temporarily stopped here just 5 miles down the road from you....a lighter area coming through on radar , nothing particularly heavy out west currently, plenty of time for that to change though......Re. tomorrow, it is a forecasters nightmare, but I've a sneaky feeling it could, for us, produce something quite extraordinary