Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Midlands & C Southern England

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
andy, no offence mate but you cant judge what will happen on one gfs run, you need to compare all the models.

I know but the GFS has been consistent with that, it's been saying that for about 5 runs in a row, maybe even 6. UKMO has been beaten by the GFS once or twice this winter already, it's going to happen again i'm sure of it.

Posted
This is rubbish. It is just melting the snow I have left and it is making the ground even wetter. Met Office have dropped yet another clanger by the looks of it.

For god sake, we have all night, wipe the tears!!

Posted

Theres noway i can see tomorow producing snow, because if it were a foot of snow would be easily achievable and that just doesnt happen here.

Posted

Heaviest snow I have ever seen in my whole life, flakes are huge, and it is sticking! :lol:

Posted
This is rubbish. It is just melting the snow I have left and it is making the ground even wetter. Met Office have dropped yet another clanger by the looks of it.

What elevation are you mate? Its snowing moderatley here and sticking now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Big flakes and Heavy Snow here now and settling a little. Tomorrow night could be a special night hopefully! If the BBC and Meto dont get this right then they have serious forecasting problems.

Posted

Still have moderate snow now, the big flakes changed to smaller ones but now more of them. Still bit too wet to settle but attempting to on cars and roofs now. According to the NW Radar I should be on the receiving end of a nice green echo very shortly!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
For god sake, we have all night, wipe the tears!!

We do not have all night at all. This will clear by early evening.

I am about 145m Albion Snowman, isn't helping though!

Posted
Theres noway i can see tomorow producing snow, because if it were a foot of snow would be easily achievable and that just doesnt happen here.

I wonder if anyone said that in Devon/Somerset on Thursday lol

Posted
Prepare to be massively disapointed then

Ah yes, the GFS, and those infamous precip type charts that have been hugely inaccurate all week. In fact I'm not sure they got it right once for my location in the past week. Won't be putting much faith in that one then!

Personally I'd rather take the BBC/UKMO and those with some degree of meteorological knowledge rather than put too much confidence in what the GFS shows.

It could be right of course, but this week the GFS has not handled these so called 'marginal' setups at all well and if the people of Northamptonshire simply followed the GFS they would not have been at all prepared for what came on Thurs/Fri, I can assure you.

Posted
We do not have all night at all. This will clear by early evening.

I am about 145m Albion Snowman, isn't helping though!

You are quite high then. Anyway good luck!

Snow easing off slightly but still coming down nicely.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
Ah yes, the GFS, and those infamous precip type charts that have been hugely inaccurate all week. In fact I'm not sure they got it right once for my location in the past week. Won't be putting much faith in that one then!

Personally I'd rather take the BBC/UKMO and those with some degree of meteorological knowledge rather than put too much confidence in what the GFS shows.

It could be right of course, but this week the GFS has not handled these so called 'marginal' setups at all well and if the people of Northamptonshire simply followed the GFS they would not have been at all prepared for what came on Thurs/Fri, I can assure you.

Didn't the GFS place the precip further West on Friday though to what the Met-Office and BBC said? They said main bulk of precip missing Northants and going around Oxford-London. What happened at the last minute? Precip went further West and hit Bristol and Exeter and gave them snow they wasn't expecting. GFS was bang on the money, Met-Office was wide of the mark by about 100 miles.

Posted

For once, brightest colours on radar are just queuing up to hit south birmingham WOOHOO!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

Posted
I have never seen anything like the size of the snowflakes here, its 2.1oc, but due to the size, its settling!

Yes! the radar had reds over you so yeaaaa lol

here well, precipiation has been moderate throughout but temperature is still dropping now at 1.7c so its stickign only to car roofs t the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, fog and ice!

Proper snow now here but too wet to stick the ppn is not heavy enough

Edited by Potent Gust

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Snow is getting heavier, but with very little or no settling. I think it might just be starting to settle on existing patches of snow, but that's about it.

And Andy, ignore those PPN type charts, they automatically show rain when 850s are above -5c, but as you have pointed out yourself this isn't always the case.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Huge flakes here now and for once i seem to be having some of the best of the snow just like the rest of the South Midlands! If we get this tomorrow and it is expected to be even heavier i dread to think what will happen!

Posted
just rain here, not even a hint of snow

we can only hope that soon as the heavier stuff moves in, roughly 5oclock,we get the heavy snow other members are talking about, the thaw doesnt seem to be to rapid thanks to the fact the snow lying around is about 3cms of thick ice and a 1cm of snow on top. Have to say im praying the bbc have got tomorow right, the thought of blizzards is something i dont think theyve ever said for here, and looking at the gfs precip charts if thats snow, we will be in a winter wonderland.