Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch London, Se England & E Anglia

Posted

Precip Charts showing as Much as 2" (50mm) for the South East and East Anglia for Tuesday.................Now if that is Snow :o :lol: :shok: :lol: :rofl:

Probably be Rain knowing our Luck :doh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms
Precip Charts showing as Much as 2" (50mm) for the South East and East Anglia for Tuesday.................Now if that is Snow :o :lol: :shok: :lol: :rofl:

paul

is there a theory as to how much snow you get from an inch of rain? how much do you think we would get

Posted
I agree John, I have never entertained the Idea of Sunday into Monday at all. Tuesday like I said yesterday sees a Keen North Easterly and Supportive Uppers of -5, Monday looks the wrong side of marginal, maybe Sleet and Slops for here but Snow from Beds Northwards AGAIN!! God Teits must be loving this :lol:

All to play for but just check the Charts for Monday, they look all wrong for an area once again South and East of a Line from C Southern England across to the NW Of Norfolk

Paul S

Its unbelievable up here in northants and the METO has just issued warnings for sunday,monday and tuesday.

Look forward to reading your reports.i was stunned why the area i thought would get a mega pasting got nothing.......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

Thanks for your reply Matt, since moving to St Ives (6 months ago from Hastings) i thought that we would do well for snow, but i think that i have under estimated the warming effect of the North Sea in snow scenarios. Last Sunday/Mondays event was very dissapointing for us, i could'nt believe that London could get so much snow and us 70 miles due North get 2cm's!. We did well over the last 2 days though, with the heaviest snow i've seen in years falling yesterday - reminded me of my days in the Wesy Country.

Posted
THe channel low that comes through on monday looks like it could turn into back edge snow for a time of tuesday. Could anyone confirm this for me?

Thanks

it may well do but cant confirm anything at this time mate, exciting times ahead though :lol:

Posted

Well i know what we will get in thanet, RAIN!

Edited by hopeitsnows

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

I think that the next few days will follow the same pattern as the past week and we will be on the wrong side of the low pressure and therefore we will get rain unless the track takes a more southerly direction........here's hoping :lol:

Posted
I thought you guys in E.Kent would've had a bit more snow than that, perhaps it started as rain then and turned to snow later.

Regards,

Tom.

Morning charlton n-d, I see your lurking.

Hows my favourite part of the Kentish Alps looking this morning. :shok:

Regards,

Tom

Hi Tom

Had to dash off this morning for a tennis match at Kings Hill Near Maidstone. Driving through parts of Kent with a nice covering of snow then on the outskirts of Maidstone-Nothing at all. Unfortunately due to the bitter cold the courts were iced up and so it turned out to be a wasted journey. Lovely to get back to a snowy Biggin Hill which apparently got a mention on Television or radio according to one of my tennis pals. We really only got about 2.5 ins at the top but it stuck everywhere , problem is the roads had not been gritted so they were like ice-rinks.

What do you think of SE Chances for the next batch. According the Radio Kent the SE will get light snow tomorrow evening/Monday morning and a longer spell of snow on Tuesday. Fantastic winter if you like cold and snow which I do. :lol:

Regards CND

Posted
I think that the next few days will follow the same pattern as the past week and we will be on the wrong side of the low pressure and therefore we will get rain unless the track takes a more southerly direction........here's hoping :shok:

I think those living near the coasts may as well resign themselves to disappointment [though still be optimistic of a suprise] and remember sadly that the sea will always moderate these kinds of setups unfavourably

Here though, I sense more frustration but wouldnt it be nice just for once if these damned lows would track about 20 miles southwards rather than 60 miles northwards...Sunday night was great but just want an extra heavy snowfall to last for a couple of days to make this winter a truly memorable one, be great if one more set up can deliver here...if it ends up being north of London or west of Basingstoke yet again my irritation will know no bounds...and I dont live in Kent, where they must be tearing their hair out :lol:

Posted
I think those living near the coasts may as well resign themselves to disappointment [though still be optimistic of a suprise] and remember sadly that the sea will always moderate these kinds of setups unfavourably

Here though, I sense more frustration but wouldnt it be nice just for once if these damned lows would track about 20 miles southwards rather than 60 miles northwards...Sunday night was great but just want an extra heavy snowfall to last for a couple of days to make this winter a truly memorable one, be great if one more set up can deliver here...if it ends up being north of London or west of Basingstoke yet again my irritation will know no bounds...and I dont live in Kent, where they must be tearing their hair out :rolleyes:

back edge snow probably for south eastern coastal districts may be a good dumping if the low stalls in the north sea

Posted

Here though, I sense more frustration but wouldnt it be nice just for once if these damned lows would track about 20 miles southwards rather than 60 miles northwards...Sunday night was great but just want an extra heavy snowfall to last for a couple of days to make this winter a truly memorable one, be great if one more set up can deliver here...if it ends up being north of London or west of Basingstoke yet again my irritation will know no bounds...and I dont live in Kent, where they must be tearing their hair out :rolleyes:

Erm yep to your last comment......

Please can the kent contingent get that low for monday/tuesday far enough south for us to get a dumping of snow for once......

Posted
paul

is there a theory as to how much snow you get from an inch of rain? how much do you think we would get

John Take a look at Smurfs excellent Thread on Snow Ratios in the Uk

http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?showtopic=52549

The Highlighted Point in that Thread is that the Uk being in a Polar Maritime Set-Up usually sees a Snow Ratio of 1:1

Therefore 1mm = 1cm Of Snow

So 2" could equate to 50cm of Snow :doh::rolleyes:

Posted

The Highlighted Point in that Thread is that the Uk being in a Polar Maritime Set-Up usually sees a Snow Ratio of 1:1

So 2" could equate to 50cm of Snow :lol: :rolleyes:

cheers paul very interesting read, could well be a snowfest for tuesday then :doh:

Posted

So 2" could equate to 50cm of Snow :doh::rolleyes:

What do you think of this then :lol:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=...;sess=#forecast

albeit it comes down as snow.

Posted

You'd be sick of snow if all that fell as snow! :lol:

Oh, what I'd give for some snow. Even the showers coming down the North Sea aren't making much progress.

Posted
You'd be sick of snow if all that fell as snow! :lol:

Oh, what I'd give for some snow. Even the showers coming down the North Sea aren't making much progress.

you shopuld do okay when the low moves through on tuesday and the wind turns ne, back edhe snow :)

Posted

My forecast is the same as yours! How cool would that be if it did fall as snow. My son would go loopy!!! :lol:

Doubt if it will happen though but we can live in hope!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

I actually think the low will come in further south...which would be good for alot more..but even as the GFS progs as has been pointed out this will readily turn to snow. Not have the ppn around has been the downfall here, so with something like this (thankfully) that isnt the problem..just dont wanna be on the marginal side, want a dumping.!

Posted
I actually think the low will come in further south...which would be good for alot more..but even as the GFS progs as has been pointed out this will readily turn to snow. Not have the ppn around has been the downfall here, so with something like this (thankfully) that isnt the problem..just dont wanna be on the marginal side, want a dumping.!

Do you have any evidence for this or is it just instinct?

Posted

on the down side I am flying from Heathrow on Wednesday morning..so tht would cause chaos for flights

Do you have any evidence for this or is it just instinct?

No evidence as such, as we havent had a GFS run that goes for it further South...UKMO and ECM alot more promising. Its merely a hunch that with the GFS, more times than not, the lows tend to be progged slightly too far north which would suggest to me subsequent runs will shift it south. Not gteed, just as you put it 'instinct' Its really gonna be a situation where we have to see reports and look at radar to see what latitude the low is coming in on

The GFS still suggest back edge snow but wouldn't it be fun to see it all fall as snow, massive falls across a massive area...a classic, promising set-up so fingers crossed and pray that the south won't be too marginal

Posted
No evidence as such, as we havent had a GFS run that goes for it further South...UKMO and ECM alot more promising. Its merely a hunch that with the GFS, more times than not, the lows tend to be progged slightly too far north which would suggest to me subsequent runs will shift it south. Not gteed, just as you put it 'instinct' Its really gonna be a situation where we have to see reports and look at radar to see what latitude the low is coming in on

Ok thanks for your reply!

Posted

Really not seeing how we'll get anything more than sleet here between Sunday night and Tuesday. Upper temps begin too high with surface temps just above freezing, then by Tuesday upper temps drop but surface temps are forecast to be up to 6/7c.

It's going to be very difficult to forecast if/where the snow falls, but I'd imagine it will be a few miles north of Hertfordshire, up into the Midlands and across to Wales.

Back to today and it's a bright, sunny cold day, 1.7c is the current top temp and we've still got 3cm in places from Monday's snow.

Posted

Of course the above is going by what the GFS shows, which condradicts what the other models, bbc and meto are all saying. The way GFS plays things will now won't be whats going to happen..monday night, into tuesday...so far away and there will be changes..just hang on tight, and hopefully watch the GFS converge into what is being shown, and suggested, elsewhere.