Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Scotland

Ross B

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening
Hi all, great weather site. Been lurking around here for about one week and thought it time I contribute myself. So this is my first post. Great snow, about 5 to 6 cm here in the outskirts of Glasgow. Very light snow just now, although the radar looks like it will be over soon for now. Lets hope the weather continues with the wintry theme - the way it should be at this time of year - cold, frosty and snowy.

I look forward to spending more time here.

Col.

A couple of photos from earlier this evening.

Hi Col,

Welcome to NW Col :D

Posted
Hi Col,

Welcome to NW Col :D

Cheers White Christmas, its good to be here.

Still snowing but doesn't look like it will last.

Col.

Cheers White Christmas, its good to be here.

Still snowing but doesn't look like it will last.

Col.

Sorry that should have been WhiteXmas.

Col.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Snow didn't reach Perth :D:D:D:D

Posted

According to the beeb beta site - we've got more snow passing over us from the west on Tuesday....

Just checked on the Ensembles :D

I don't think I've ever seen such agreement out to such a (what is after all FI) timescale...

Awesome stuff - this will be the winter you tell your children's children about :D

post-2746-1234163978_thumb.png

Edited by Graeme B

Posted

Bloomin' cold here this morning! Hope it warms up a bit before I have to walk to work....

p.s. Can't believe those ensembles this morning - amazing!

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted
According to the beeb beta site - we've got more snow passing over us from the west on Tuesday....

Just checked on the Ensembles :rolleyes:

I don't think I've ever seen such agreement out to such a (what is after all FI) timescale...

Awesome stuff - this will be the winter you tell your children's children about :D

Those ensembles are great arn't they? I was going to comment in the model thread but I doubt anyone would have cared. Two days ago they had the cold ending around the 13th, then yesterday 15th with less members, now the cold is steamrollered for the whole month. Good chance of the coldest winter month in a while. With the northerly element and the very low temperatures the Scottish mean could be 2 or 3C lower than the CET.

The cold minima went south last night to the central Highlands, -17C at Aviemore, Dalwhinnie and Braemar could be colder though, anyone know where to access data for them or do we have to wait till tomorrow night for the MO Latest/recent?

And no, I didn't get any snow.

Edited by Hiya

Posted

oh my it has just reached -18c in the north and im prettie sure theres probably somewhere a lot colder than that like braemar which might reach -21c

Posted
oh my it has just reached -18c in the north and im prettie sure theres probably somewhere a lot colder than that like braemar which might reach -21c

According to the metoffice site its now -17.4 in Aviemore and according to the BBC (dunno how accurate their current observation bit is) its -17 in Braemar. Impressive. I wish the Met Office would show the latest observations for Dalwhinnie and Braemar, I wonder why they don't?

Posted
According to the metoffice site its now -17.4 in Aviemore and according to the BBC (dunno how accurate their current observation bit is) its -17 in Braemar. Impressive. I wish the Met Office would show the latest observations for Dalwhinnie and Braemar, I wonder why they don't?

I think Dalwhinnie is read once a day and they are submitted for the end of day stats, maybe the same with Braemar.

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

well after a great night of snow here my road hasn't been gritted again so no work again. the sky still seems heavy looks like it could snow again

honestly i hope not cus i cant afford anymore days off work have called and complained again to the council really no sympathy from them at all

i dont mind the snow but this is the second time this winter i haven't been able to get my car on the road its out of order

need grit need grit need grit :o

Posted

Wow, deepest snow I have had here in Edinburgh for many years. We had a measured 12cm up on the hill overnight. Side roads barely passable but the main roads OK.

post-2538-1234178642_thumb.jpg

Posted

Nothing here last night.

Dundee has faired very poorly from this cold spell. Very little in the way of precipitation and has been a massive disappointment in general.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Quite heavy snow here in Lochgelly at the moment. Quite suprising really as there isn't much to see on the radar. Just checked the updated radar for 11.30am and there does seem to be an area of convective showers coming into Fife from the sea?

Edited by Blitzen

Posted

Egg.... Face springs to mind there, but take their warnings now with a pinch of salt, as last nights warning was for icy roads, and not the 4 inches of snow currently on the garden!!!

Snip from Met about Central and Tayside....

Tonight:

Continuing dry across the area tonight with some long clear spells. Another widespread and penetrating frost developing. Winds continuing to be light. Minimum temperature -12 °C

Edited by Cheggers

Posted

fantastic day here in Glasgow 0c and snow everywhere even at Glasgow uni which is rare, will post pictures later on 6-7 inches of snow up on higher ground around my house.Although last nights snow fell on top of 3-4 inches hence total cover around about 6-7inches :)Cheers

Scott

Posted
fantastic day here in Glasgow 0c and snow everywhere even at Glasgow uni which is rare, will post pictures later on 6-7 inches of snow up on higher ground around my house.Although last nights snow fell on top of 3-4 inches hence total cover around about 6-7inches :)Cheers

Scott

You should see Cathedral Sq and the Necropolis, winter wonderland scene, snow still stuck to the side of the trees.

post-2849-1234185851_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cheggers