Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Midlands & C Southern England

Posted
True true :) I'm still baffled as to why they show rain on the back edge of the band, surely by that time the colder air will have sweeped Southwards and any precip left around by 6am would be snow for the Midlands and Southern areas?

Agreed Andy.

The only explanation I can think of is while conditions will still be rather marginal, as the band moves away and PPN becomes lighter and more patchy, it will turn more to a wintry mix. While the heavier PPN is over the Midlands I don't think there will be too many problems inland.

Posted

BBC beta charts are dreamy for here except for the snow turning to rain at 0600, but can't complain at the 12 hours of heavy snow beforehand :lol:

I wonder if the change could occur as the heavier stuff slips southwards and thus it becomes less wintry? As it seems the bulk of the snow tonight will be down to the intensity of the ppn and evaporative cooling kicking in.

Thankfully the GFS keeps us under the heavier stuff for longer so that will help keep it as snow if it happens.

Posted
Mist has suddenly lifted now.

Wonder if Birmingham will do a blanket closure of all schools again IF the snow is bad, they got stick for it last time and didnt do it for when they should of the second time! I dont agree with blanket closures, let headteachers decide, especially a place the size of Birmingham!

Anyway, back on topic..

In my opinion it's more sensible for the councils to do blanket closures simply because they know how their local roads are because they will have received reports. When it is left to the schools decision, headteachers aren't really able to comment on the roads and how safe it is. Although thursday on Solihull made a blanket closure.

Last night I was expecting it to be a heavy rain event tonight. I'm having more hope today but i'm not sure how optimistic to be.

Posted
In my opinion it's more sensible for the councils to do blanket closures simply because they know how their local roads are because they will have received reports. When it is left to the schools decision, headteachers aren't really able to comment on the roads and how safe it is. Although thursday on Solihull made a blanket closure.

Last night I was expecting it to be a heavy rain event tonight. I'm having more hope today but i'm not sure how optimistic to be.

They took a decision last Monday night before the snow had even materialised. How is that in any way a sensible step?

In the end Birmingham got away with a few light flurries and conditions were fine on Birmingham's roads by morning, easily passable, yet all the kids were off. I'm sure they didn't complain though :lol:

Posted

Very true.

Yeh I expected heavy rain.

Posted

Hi All,

Hows things looking then? Must say everyone seems a bit more cheery so I am guessing the channel Low is back on track to give us a good bout of wintry weather in the midlands.

Posted
They took a decision last Monday night before the snow had even materialised. How is that in any way a sensible step?

In the end Birmingham got away with a few light flurries and conditions were fine on Birmingham's roads by morning, easily passable, yet all the kids were off. I'm sure they didn't complain though :lol:

That is a case that you can blame the metoffice for! Solihull council did explain their decision though (http://www.solihull.gov.uk/news/18650.htm)

We was however predicted some significant snow, and didn't receive it. This is why i'm still hasty with tonights event, but at the same token the metoffice aren't always going to be perfect, forecasting isn't the simplest of things at times.

Just seen the weather with Rob again. Central Wales and West Midlands were specifically mentioned with the potential of 10 - 15cm's

Posted
Just seen the weather with Rob again. Central Wales and West Midlands were specifically mentioned with the potential of 10 - 15cm's

indeed, also the graphic showed snow 4-5 oclock.....too early????

Posted

Sleety wintry mix has just started here, although very light.

This should be falling as light snow higher up :D

Posted
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl

no way should the schools in the west mids been closed last week - ok monday was abit dodgy late on but no more than 5-7cms on thursday morning.

tuesday's closure was a joke - roads were fine.

Posted

post-6740-1234187136_thumb.png

850s as the bbc are saying the back edge will be rain? if anything it is the most certain time for it to be snow? anyone with alot experience able to clear this up?

jus a quick note also temp did get to 2.9/3c now its between 2.7/2.8 hopefully will continue to fall

Posted

Julie's been on with the local forecast. (Look East)

She said the west of the region should see snowfall overnight, and mentioned the following counties in particular; Buckinghamshire, Northamptonshire, Cambridgeshire, parts of Norfolk.

Heavy rain the main problem further south and east with a risk of localised flooding.

Posted

Tuesday everyone could have easily went in. But that was because the closures were announced on monday evening because met office had predicted it. With regards to other days, I'm not sure, I think it was quite dangerous out so I can understand the closures. We aren't canada or any other snowy place. It doesn't occur often and we deal with it differently.

Still only drizzle here in Birmingham. I am not expecting snow this early but I was expecting some heavy rain.

Birmingham is on the northern side of the band of precipitation so it was always going to be light this afternoon, the cold light rain will turn heavier towards evening and turn more more wintry before turning to heavy wet snow overnight with some decent accumulations likely in the midlands esp west midlands.

Posted

We were always due to get light rain throughout themorning, The main band of heavy precipitation comes in the late evening. Wether or not it will be snow I dont know, time will tell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
post-6740-1234187136_thumb.png

850s as the bbc are saying the back edge will be rain? if anything it is the most certain time for it to be snow? anyone with alot experience able to clear this up?

jus a quick note also temp did get to 2.9/3c now its between 2.7/2.8 hopefully will continue to fall

??....-4/-5C 850's?......Thats snow mate....Precip intensity is a key factor....heavy precip with a 500-1000hpa thickness in the low 530's can till easily lead to snow

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted

a fair few reports of sleet now in the south west, and snow in wales over 300m

??....-4/-5C 850's?......Thats snow mate

thats what id say but bbc dont, and havent on a single forecast over the past couple of days, even the local forecast showed the back edge as rain whilst at the same time discussing how much snow there could be

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
I think its moving in too quick.

A total non-event I think this will be! :)

Best to think like that too :(

What makes you think 'its moving in too quickly' WMW, and on what have you based your post on?......Looking at the visible sat, infra-red sat, and radar, and comparing to the models suggest to me that its all bang on track

Posted

Light drizzle/rain here atm melting my lovely snow :(

That low looks likes a monster though, i still think its going to be very marginal for many places with height making a big difference in this kind of situation.

Tom