Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm/convective Discussion

Nick F

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Throwing it down now with thunder and lightning. What a great way to end a hot day, should freshen things up for tonight :lol:

Posted
A couple of lovely anvils here with some great convection.

Jane have you a clear line of sight to the West....

What is that mass of cloud that way...cant really see it from here..

Is anything developing?

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Wow, another downpour and more Thunder!

Posted

From Swindon looking NE towards Oxford i can see the convection towers probably forming on the convergence line running between London and Brum.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
Another storm forming on the back edge of the rest of them. All missing me by about 3-4 miles, can hear the thunder, can see the lightning but is nowhere near me. Oh dear.

Yeah, More rain and Thunder approaching!

Posted
  • Location: Cheshire, 5 miles from Manchester Airport as the 737 flies!
  • Location: Cheshire, 5 miles from Manchester Airport as the 737 flies!

Can see the tops of distant big cumulous to the south of here, so I'm guessing it could be the storm that's in Staffordshire at the moment? Keep sending it our way! :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells n snow
I think, perhaps because of Wimbledon they may be being over warning, to me the main threat and even then for isolated storms has always been about Birmingham and an arc about wnw-nnw of that area.

Yeah I'd agree, I think there's probably gonna be 1 or 2 light showers here in Bucks and the London area, speaking of which i've just had a light shower with big raindrops, but I think the big storms will always be up in the west-midlands and birmingham area, I still don't understand why metoffice have issued a warning here it doesn't make sense for the London area unless I am wrong which we'll soon find out.

Posted

Quite a bit of thunder, but not a great deal of rain. Still, a storm is a storm!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D
Jane have you a clear line of sight to the West....

What is that mass of cloud that way...cant really see it from here..

Is anything developing?

Hi dogs,

I think you may be seeing the anvil and convection I can see. It's to my North West.

It's been holding strong for a while now.

Another forum says storms tonight will run up from Dorset northwards through Bristol, and into Glos and areas nearby.

Loads of convection over cleeve hill, looks lovely :lol:

Yes, I see this. There was loads earlier.Can you see the anvil twister?

Posted
Hi dogs,

I think you may be seeing the anvil and convection I can see. It's to my North West.

Another forum says storms tonight will run up from Dorset northwards through Bristol, and into Glos and areas nearby.

Its only going to be patchy rain now according to bbc.

Posted
Hi dogs,

Yes, I see this. There was loads earlier.Can you see the anvil twister?

:lol: thx......no it's to the South west...........something looks as though its trying to form.I cant relly see it from here though to confirm..

I see the Anvils your on about though

edit..Weathercoxy..........yes I have heard..but I am a great believe in the last minute of change of events....in other words things can change

Edited by dogs32

Posted

The radar shows heavy rain over Telford but its hot and sunny?? confusing

Posted
Its only going to be patchy rain now according to bbc.

I never listen to them lol

:lol: thx......no it's to the South west...........something looks as though its trying to form.I cant relly see it from here though to confirm..

I see the Anvils your on about though

edit..Weathercoxy..........yes I have heard..but I am a great believe in the last minute of change of events

I will have another look lol

Posted

Metoffice still going for heavy rain or thunderstorms tonight so time will tell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

good little storm currently, thunder lightning, heavy rain, started at 5.30, still going now moving north east

my first storm this month, but knocked my sky tv off, cant watch hewitt

Posted
good little storm currently, thunder lightning, heavy rain, started at 5.30, still going now moving north east

my first storm this month, but knocked my sky tv off, cant watch hewitt

I think that should be the benchmark for a thunderstorm, when Sky dies then it is officially a thunderstorm!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
Can see the tops of distant big cumulous to the south of here, so I'm guessing it could be the storm that's in Staffordshire at the moment? Keep sending it our way! :lol:

Have been watching this for the past hour. Certainly must be some strong vertical air motion taking place in this area. Nice shaped top, sure to give some downpours. May develop during the coming hours during the strongest period of convergence. Seems to be moving slightly east of north .

C

Posted
Yes I think I have to agree with them I'm afraid. Looking at the latest radar image shows a clump of strong cells in France but they look to be on course in a NNE direction - possibly towards Brighton and surrounding area. There is some light rain just off the coast of Brest and unless it intensifies over the channel or if it hits land (Lyme Bay area I reckon) then its just a damp night for us.

I'm not giving up! The forecast for early this morning was scattered showers yet thundery activity occured with some heavy downpours so I see no reason why the same couldn't happen again once the shower clouds come over land.

Amazing how far away CBs are visible from, I must be nearing 100 miles from the ones towards the ENE yet they look stunning rising against a clear blue sky :lol: .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
I think that should be the benchmark for a thunderstorm, when Sky dies then it is officially a thunderstorm!

still thundering most of it moved east, brighter to SW, i had high of 27.1oC before storm now 21.0C, geez thats a loud rumble, got a fright

Posted
thats a beautiful Anvil to our North...orange in colour and fairly large...........another trying to grow to our East

dogs,

I can't see what your'e seeing lol but I see loads of convection all around! and the anvil is still going strong.