Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/storm Discussion Thurs 23>>>>>>>>>

Posted

The feature in that first photo - left of centre - is that a funnel clud, or a downdraft? I'm not knowledgeable enough to know, but it's definitely a lump of cloud coming out of the main cell? :doh:

Not sure what was occurring tbh,it was shifting three times the speed of the rest of the clouds,then disappeared behind that hill,something was afoot ,but what it was i dont know :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

hi aj, that's a good guess direct hit here in great barr, rain is torrential with very gusty winds

Thats the one good thing about living in Penkridge, the local topography is such that there's a natural bowl shape from Brum to Stafford, which I Guess naturally amplifies sound. allowing me to hear thunder from a good 15-20 miles away in that direction (SE)

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Another small thunderstorm went through here , that's 3 today

Posted

Wow what can I say this has been the best day of the year for convective weather so far.

We had a second storm pass over with INCREDIBLE torrential rain and then hail near the back edge for a couple of minutes and overhead IC lightning/thunder. The rain was horizontal and so heavy some car alarms went off. WICKED.

Also I was outside going to Morrisons and watched this storm go from just a small TCU on the horizon to a storm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

What a surprise that was. Seen what I thought was just another shower but started filming anyway, was some lovely rain curtains. I seen a lovely CC strike across the sky which I didn't capture because I paused the filiming on my cam to save battery power. Seen two more flashes and tearing thunder right over my house, were some definite close strikes and may I add the rain drops are ridiculously huge. None of this is exageration, just as surprised as anyone else.

Tsk, tsk mate...lol....I've been posting on these cells for the past hour or 2!...right, thats it! no more nowcasts for the west midlanders...I'm off to the soon to be created 'Billy no-mates, stand in the corner with a dunce hat on' thread! :doh:

Posted

very heavy rain here at the moment , just saw a shelf cloud and mammatus , rumbles every minute or so. Some flashes of lightning aswell , currently heading south , so if you're in the borders get ready for some action!

That be me then lol

but i do think i will miss it buy looking at the radarwallbash.gif

Posted

Aj I've been watching those myself but I didn't post because I just thought they were thundery showers, but got the cam out anyway, then seen a beautiful CC strike but camera was on pause :doh: I think I did cap the one over my house though, and the tearing thunder so will have to look through my vid to see. What a nice surprise is was though!

The showers have alligned and are training SEwards now on a line roughly Chester through Tamworth, so I reckon for a prolonged period of heavy rain (a couple of hours or so maybe?)

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

3rd storm of the day. Very active cell just a mile or so to the SW of here with thunder every 5-10 seconds.

Had a storm earlier at 4-430pm which caused some flooding in town, some nice close flashes and instant bangs too.

Posted

Beast of a storm to the south of here, rumbles of thunder every 5 seconds:

post-1052-12484553218744_thumb.png

Sun coming coming out despite big crashes of thunder.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Some huge storm head to the south west!

Posted

this is about as close as we have come all day...most of the threatening clouds seem to have stayed just south of here towards the peterborough/cambridge area.

post-4276-12484574666157_thumb.jpg

Posted

Had two fairly good storms today in West Cambs. Another one is heading this way in the next 15mins or so - can already hear the rumbles of thunder.

Posted

Just been slammed by some very strong winds which lasted for around 30secs.

Here are the pics when it happened.

post-1766-12484582179718_thumb.jpg

post-1766-12484582415723_thumb.jpg

This summer might be poor but its been excellent for storms here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Hi guys

Can anyone tell me if that mass that's moving SW from Brum is electrified and if so, how strongly?

thanks

-PBS-

According to StrikeStar it isn't.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

After quite a uneventful day apart from some pretty good convection around mid-day but whats that coming to Tyne & Wear..??

Hope it stays together as it looks to be heading for my location probably hit when i'm on my motorbike visiting my father in hospital..!!

Posted

Hi guys

Can anyone tell me if that mass that's moving SW from Brum is electrified and if so, how strongly?

thanks

-PBS-

sorry Annie.cant see any sferic,s

though I might be wrong havent been following today