Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/storm Discussion Thurs 23>>>>>>>>>

Posted

Afternoon All :-)

New website looks cracking!

Just a post, Thunder and Ligntning and heavy rain here for the last 30 mins, only just got online as power has been down!

Not again! NOTHING HERE

Posted

Not again! NOTHING HERE

Same here, all im getting is distant rumbles. The cloud base is very dark almost completly black. By the way, you may have seen the funnel i spotted yesterday. Although it was more towards hitchin.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Seriously - look at this anvil from a storm to the WNW (presumably the Herts storm)

It is so rounded, and robust, it could easily be a mothership in the distance :D

In fact, can see a few cells really booming - both to the WNW and the S!

Hopefully, there may be enough time for a few more to crack off before the High moves in.

post-3790-12484503589199_thumb.jpg

Edited by Harry

Posted

Thunder getting louder, no lightning seen yet.

Thunder getting much louder.

i can see it from my window looking towards hitchin the clouds seem to be lowering a bit

Posted

In fact, look at these two babies to my SW!

These are rapidly developing - and considering there is so much blue sky and heating around here, these could turn out to be really quite potent thunderstorms! Hopefully, I will make it back home to watch them slide past (a lot of hoping...never mind :D )

post-3790-12484508059955_thumb.png

Edited by Harry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Had a loud rumble of thunder from those cells over staffs, and................that was it, no more! :D

They still look nice on radar, with more streaming down SEwards from North Wales

Posted

I think they were IC- or at least the ones I saw were, because they didn't reach the ground.

I assumed that would be it for today in Norwich but there is another cluster of heavy showers moving into the far west of East Anglia now, which could be interesting if they keep their intensity.

Would be good if they headed in this direction, It looked a disticnt possibility that we'd have something big, wasn't to be, collapsed to just 3mm of rain and now the sun's out!!

And I'm just 14 miles North of Norwich as the crow flies. Typical showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Would be good if they headed in this direction, It looked a disticnt possibility that we'd have something big, wasn't to be, collapsed to just 3mm of rain and now the sun's out!!

And I'm just 14 miles North of Norwich as the crow flies. Typical showers

I think it was the northern edge of the trough that was at fault - it seemed to break off and move through NW Norfolk leaving the top of the remaining trough to pass me and TWS.

Posted

Must have had an inch of rain today,some random pics ,from two ish onwards,when i could sneak off to grab them lol

post-8172-12484511655046_thumb.jpg

post-8172-1248451239837_thumb.jpg

post-8172-12484513143465_thumb.jpg

post-8172-12484513575336_thumb.jpg

post-8172-12484514297723_thumb.jpg

Edited by TN9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

very heavy rain here at the moment , just saw a shelf cloud and mammatus , rumbles every minute or so. Some flashes of lightning aswell , currently heading south , so if you're in the borders get ready for some action!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All the Interesting stuff

hoorahh!! we have thunder and lightning over north west brum

Edited by phil b

Posted

Must have had an inch of rain today,some random pics ,from two ish onwards,when i could sneak off to grab them lol

That would be the storms that hit Sevenoaks then :D those pics are brilliant!! :D

Some stunning landscaping! Presumably those storms are what formed the mammatus over London earlier!

Just noticed also, pictures 3 and 4 capture the green-ness brilliantly - which also correlates with the hail reports I got from the Sevenoaks storm too!

Edited by Harry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Another Thunderstorm just missing us to our North. :D

How bad has my luck been today. However we did get a bit of rain earlier.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

hoorahh!! we have thunder and lightning over north west brum

yep, can hear distant thunder now to my SE, towards Walsall/Great Barr...some really intense returns on the radar, plenty of reds & whites...Another potent cell heading towards the Lichfield/Tamworth area in the next few minutes

Posted

Another Thunderstorm just missing us to our North. :D

How bad has my luck been today. However we did get a bit of rain earlier.

You whinging again? :D

If it is any consolation, I got one rumble today, and moderate/heavy rain at times - that was it.

Other than the mammatus display earlier, I've had nothing!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

The feature in that first photo - left of centre - is that a funnel clud, or a downdraft? I'm not knowledgeable enough to know, but it's definitely a lump of cloud coming out of the main cell? :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

You whinging again? :D

If it is any consolation, I got one rumble today, and moderate/heavy rain at times - that was it.

Other than the mammatus display earlier, I've had nothing!

Ive given up-how close can it get but give nothing! :D

Posted

That would be the storms that hit Sevenoaks then :D those pics are brilliant!! :D

Some stunning landscaping! Presumably those storms are what formed the mammatus over London earlier!

Just noticed also, pictures 3 and 4 capture the green-ness brilliantly - which also correlates with the hail reports I got from the Sevenoaks storm too!

Yea,there has been a few today,couple past the north of me ,and the last one more to the south over Tun wells way,last one was the liveliest and the rain was torrential :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frosty, Foggy, Cold, Snowy, Windy, Thunder

Hows it looking your way now?

Just spoke to friend on the A1 and they say it was very active over Baldock!

Its still going off here, constant rumbles of thunder, not as much lighting though (did see a cracking couple of CG strikes and quite a few sheets though).

All in all, quite a good 45 mins worth so far, but had very little rain, but wind really picked up at one point but thats passed now.

Can still here the Lightning detector alarm going off at either the RAF base (where the police helicopter lives) or the Golf course.

Thunder getting louder, no lightning seen yet.

Thunder getting much louder.

Posted

If it is any consolation, I got one rumble today

and that was because of a heavy lunch! :D

I've just gone rushing to the window as I heard a distant rumble in what are otherwise clear blue skies. It was something falling over in the back of a DHL van!!!!! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All the Interesting stuff

yep, can hear distant thunder now to my SE, towards Walsall/Great Barr...some really intense returns on the radar, plenty of reds & whites...Another potent cell heading towards the Lichfield/Tamworth area in the next few minutes

hi aj, that's a good guess direct hit here in great barr, rain is torrential with very gusty winds

Posted

and that was because of a heavy lunch! :lol:

I've just gone rushing to the window as I heard a distant rumble in what are otherwise clear blue skies. It was something falling over in the back of a DHL van!!!!! :doh:

Someone 'falling over' in the DHL van was it...lol! Tut tut!

Still some huge anvils to my NW at the moment - blue skies overhead with wispy Ci - pretty much been like this now for the last hour/hour and a half.