Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/storm Discussion Thurs 23>>>>>>>>>

Posted

Nice pictures, been a while since I have seen a nice solid anvil like that.

Thanks,its been a good day,all day,which makes a change here,from sun up to sun down there was always something interesting going on,a weather watchers gem lol,lets hope its not weeks on end to the next time :)

Posted

Lovely pics everyone. Thank you. I took a great photo of an anvil just like TN9's about 2 years ago. Still got it somewhere.... hmmm must look it out. Keep me entertained. I love stormy skies almost as much as storms themselves.

Posted

Hows it looking your way now?

Just spoke to friend on the A1 and they say it was very active over Baldock!

Its still going off here, constant rumbles of thunder, not as much lighting though (did see a cracking couple of CG strikes and quite a few sheets though).

All in all, quite a good 45 mins worth so far, but had very little rain, but wind really picked up at one point but thats passed now.

Can still here the Lightning detector alarm going off at either the RAF base (where the police helicopter lives) or the Golf course.

Sorry about the late post. The storm that was active over hitchin/baldock was over stevenage for about 45 mins. Very heavy rain and some hail mixed in. thought it had passed when there was a CG strike under a mile away. Overall it was a deacent storm with several CG's and CC's

Posted

There was quite a few nice CGs and ICs from that storm that rolled in across Margate a couple of hours ago although it died as it reached the coast bringing nothing more than torrential rain. I have to say that cloud formation was fantastic - Its been a long time since I've seen a storm like that (probably because its usually dark when we get them)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Nice pics there Mark. :) Those pics do certainly give a taste of the clouds structures here earlier on, which don't occur all that often around here. :)

Thanks, it's the best i've seen in the UK this year, but not as good as some of NL's structure shots recently. They really looked like US skies.

Also never seen a rainbow come up vertically like that, must be with the sun being so low.

Posted

A few photos of that storm/gust front from earlier on this evening taken from whickham.

Heard a few distant rumbles of thunder as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Some really big showers around here this morning, we had some very heavy torrential downpours, with thunder too. These pushed away by mid-day to leave a dry breezy day with sunny spells.

Posted

Nice pics TN9, not quite convection like that up here but still very nice skies to end the day...

Love the last pic,got it as me desktop now :)

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Yeah, seriously though, I am considering moving to EA, the Midlands is finished for storms, it's had it's day so to speak :) I had a weak storm a few hours ago, witnessed a lovely CC strike and a few more flashes one of which was overhead which produced some tearing thunder.

Down the road from you in Coventry according my Aunt they had 'torrential rain, thunder and lightning' today...mind you she tends to exaggerate somewhat :)

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

This storm had some awesome cloud features! , recorded it from this evening

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cjE3fqCsc8

Edited by neilsouth

Posted

This storm had some awesome cloud features! , recorded it from this evening

Hi Neil, was that taken sometime around 6pm? If so that passed directly over Cranbrook around 5pm.

Sorry it's late, I've been working since 1pm and only just got in - but boy what a day! :D

Firstly, frequent torrential downpours this morning, along a discrete line, gave us 12.9mm by 11:38, making it the 2nd wettest day of the year before midday!

No thunder during the morning, but some of the most torrential downpours I have ever seen!

I went to work around 1pm, it chucked it down briefly whilst driving the 10 miles to Cranbrook (south of Maidstone) but for most of the afternoon it stayed dry and relatively sunny from what I could see out of the window at work (Cranbrook).

I left at 4:50pm for my dinner break. Upon leaving the entrance to the supermarket I work in, immediately the clouds grabbed my attention. To my east there was a lot of low, black scud rapidly moving in different directions. Overhead the cloud was the plain 'milky white' but to my northwest the clouds were smooth and purple, typical of a storm. I could see hail curtains coming down to my northeast and distant constant rumbling.

I have been informed by a few people that a storm moved over my house around 4:30pm, which I did not see in Cranbrook (that's how localised these things are). The storm over my house:

post-8218-12484725762931_thumb.png

Once I had indentified the storms were all to my north, I decided to have a mini storm chase during my lunch break and quickly hopped in the car and drove into Maidstone (13 miles). As i drove there i noticed huge towering anvils ahead of me, somewhere over the Thames Estuary i presume, whilst the storm i was initially chasing actually moved eastwards whilst i drove north, and it wasn't long before i was under clear blue skies. By 5:20pm i gave up, and turned round to drive back to work.

However... once i had turned the car round, I noticed huge CB's to my south - right where I had just come from! Bearing in mind i had no access to radar at the time, I didn't realise there were cells approaching my work from the west! I drove back as quickly as I could, arriving back at work around 5:45pm.

It took a while for things to finally get going, and by the looks of it we only scraped the northern edge of the storm, the majority of it went over Hawkhurst (4 miles south of Cranbrook).

post-8218-12484725818378_thumb.png

However, I sat in my car for a good 30 minutes, with the window wound down and watched the various forks and sheet lightning accompanied by very loud thunder, loud and boomy enough to shake the car! :fool:

It was great :D

18.1mm is the total today

Edited by maidstone weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Nice one! , you should've made your own thread because it will be lost in this one :fool:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Working in Northleach this morning - we had a fairly good storm between 11 and 12. We had some quite prolonged heavy rain, which lasted about an hour. The showers seemed quite slow moving. There were several flashes of lightning and some loud thunder - the best I've heard so far this year. It was quite close as well. Just over a second between lightning and thunder.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Thanks, it's the best i've seen in the UK this year, but not as good as some of NL's structure shots recently. They really looked like US skies.

Also never seen a rainbow come up vertically like that, must be with the sun being so low.

Great photos Mark, amazing to see that storm stretching all the way from the coast to your location. I got myself

to a great vantage point and got these shots of the same storm but further east than yours, i saw several extremely

powerful Cg's (Cs's as they hit the sea..Haha!!) but alas no lightning shot captured.

My apologies if these come out big.

Posted

Great photos Mark, amazing to see that storm stretching all the way from the coast to your location. I got myself

to a great vantage point and got these shots of the same storm but further east than yours, i saw several extremely

powerful Cg's (Cs's as they hit the sea..Haha!!) but alas no lightning shot captured.

My apologies if these come out big.

'A' one.....very nice NL....

looks like the usa

Edited by dogs32

Posted

There are some cracking pictures in here today, have got to find time to upload my pics as well but the NE Boys have took some great shots and also it looks like most of the Uk had a great Photogenic day with clear visibilities of these storms.

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

just thougt id post up 2 images from yesterday storm at around 5pm , both showing a very nice wall cloud , looking north :

post-7984-37569_thumb.jpg

Posted

Some super photos and video here. Calum, looks like you got the best of southern Scotland's storms yesterday - am not sure any thunderstorms hit Edinburgh. I managed a couple of spells of torrential rain once again, the worst of which was around 7pm while I was in the pub! Beer was more important than looking out for lightning though drinks.gif sss

Posted

I was in Edinburgh yesterday as well. Saw what could have been a funnel developing but i lost it behind the buildings in the city centre, there was also a huge downpour at around 3:45 which burst the roof of waverly station.

Posted

storm chase yesterday once storms where close enough set off from Bicester to Brill not quite right as unable to get good visual off storms so set off for some higher ground further southeast to some higher ground looking south to the chilterns excellant view of storms from road but unabale to pull over an get camera set due to too many others out storm watching taking up every suitable field gate and track entrances etc diablo.gif with there cars an camper vans never seen so many out storm watching buy the time I found someware suitable to pull over (a vacated spot) the very active storm front had passed waited a couple of hours but nothing took the same track well disapionted as I was waitng with my new LIghtning Trigger that I had imported from US to get my first daylight lightning photos missed last weeks due to having to go to work at crucial so you can imagine my frustration.

My son & his mate tried Stokenchurch area up on the Chilterns to video some storms the claim to have seen that most elusive devil Ball Lightning but were unable to get video cam out of bag in time before it faded away.

Edited by gpspete

Posted

Heavy showers here..so much for the expected dry day!