Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/storm Discussion Thurs 23>>>>>>>>>

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

For those who missed out on storm action recently, check out this video of a Cambridge funnel - quite impressive!

Note - contains some swearing!

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

That was cool, nice little storm just rattled through. dropped some heavy rain and a few close overhead ic's. Only 1 sec gap between flashes and nice crisp air splitting thunder. 2nd storm today so alls good :yahoo:

Posted

Note - contains some swearing!

Nice video, and I can't be the only one who loves it when you can hear how excited the people behind the lens are. :yahoo:

Posted

Thunder continuing to south and S.E. from slow moving Cb (Redhill direction).

I can confirm that tax-payers money has been invested wisely and the Burgess Hill Stormshield is holding well :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

certainly some nice cells developing rapidly now in salops and staffs, with a pronounced squall line orientated west to east heading SSE towards stafford and birmingham, with further discrete cells firing up further south heading eastwards towards Central/South Birmingham...The 1000hpa wind vectors are showing an area of convergence setting up to the NW of birmingham, with WNW meeting WSW lower level winds....Interesting.....

post-4149-12484473205327.txt

Posted

Distant rumbles of thunder again in Bexleyheath. Can see an anvil to my South, so possibly came from that?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

The Mammatus over London at present is Udderly Outrageous

Paul S

:yahoo: ...I guess the cell looks a bit beefy?

Posted

Oooh, Salisbury Plain/North Hants is looking good for initiation!....1000 J/Kg CAPE, local LI of -4C and lapse rates of 28C....anything kicking off there will have London's name written all over it!

Posted

Harry look to your W/NW, beautiful storm to my S/SE, massive anvil shield with a widespread display of mamattus developing overhead. :yahoo:

Without exception, that is the most STUNNING display of mammatus I have EVER seen!

I have LOADS of pics of it - bear with me while I upload!!!

Edited by Harry

Posted

Without exception, that is the most STUNNING display of mammatus I have EVER seen!

Yeah its right overhead, whats amazing is how widespread it is, covering one quarter of the sky and spreading. If only the sun was setting now it would be an absolutely fantastic photo opportunity!

bear with me while I upload!!!

You might want to run before it eats you. :yahoo:

Edited by jshaw

Posted

Lots of columbinus clouds every were! Going, by the isle of whight lightning map, I should be having a storm now but nothing atm.My video camera is ready and charged!!

Posted

Feast your eyes on these!!

Seriously, you have to see it to believe just how spectacular they are!! They do cover almost half of the sky!!!

Enjoy - sorry if the quality is bad!

post-3790-1248448496167_thumb.jpg

post-3790-12484485136037_thumb.jpg

post-3790-12484485317042_thumb.jpg

post-3790-12484485510436_thumb.jpg

post-3790-12484485781752_thumb.jpg

post-3790-12484485990757_thumb.jpg

post-3790-12484486239896_thumb.jpg

Edited by Harry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Back now - late luch and then distracted by other matters.

Fairly impressive storm passed to the SE of us - first thunder heard at 14:27, heavy rain and some bright lightning flashes observed (from my vantage point I was unable to see whether they were CG or IC. A lot of turbulent clouds still hanging around and the occasional faint rumble heard still.

I think they were IC- or at least the ones I saw were, because they didn't reach the ground.

I assumed that would be it for today in Norwich but there is another cluster of heavy showers moving into the far west of East Anglia now, which could be interesting if they keep their intensity.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Intense downpour , Large Bangs and hail!!

WOOOOOOOO :D

Posted

Apparently there was a torrential thunderstorm in Sevenoaks earlier - torrential rain, large hail, and impressive thunder and lightning!!

Still - my day has been made up by that mamma display :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Feast your eyes on these!!

Seriously, you have to see it to believe just how spectacular they are!! They do cover almost half of the sky!!!

Enjoy - sorry if the quality is bad!

Great photos Harry, what a treat! To think that's the sort of thing that probably 99% of Londoners won't have noticed, because people almost never seem to look up! :D:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

Yello. Had a decent storm here this afternoon. The rain was absolutely torrential. I couldn't get near a computer at the time as I was in work but was watching the lightning (first time I've seen an anvil crawler in years). Surprised we didn't lose power in work if I'm completely honest. All disappeared east now but nice end to the week nonetheless.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

I think they were IC- or at least the ones I saw were, because they didn't reach the ground.

I assumed that would be it for today in Norwich but there is another cluster of heavy showers moving into the far west of East Anglia now, which could be interesting if they keep their intensity.

Yes, could be an interesting dessert after the main course earlier!

Having added some overlays on the NW radar, there seem to be ideal conditions - lapse rates, CAPE and LI all good, not much inhibition either. Only negative is lack of wind shear.

Edited by w0033944

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frosty, Foggy, Cold, Snowy, Windy, Thunder

Afternoon All :-)

New website looks cracking!

Just a post, Thunder and Ligntning and heavy rain here for the last 30 mins, only just got online as power has been down!