Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/storm Discussion Thurs 23>>>>>>>>>

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

a glitch on the radar? or have storm cells along the Home Counties trough weakened dramatically the past 15 mins? very few sferics showing up on the overlay

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

a glitch on the radar? or have storm cells along the Home Counties weakened dramatically the past 15 mins? very few sferics showing up on the overlay

Certainly not a glitch - they have completely fall apart!

One of two things spring to mind - either the lines of showers have killed each other off upon converging, or the High pressure is now nosing in from the SW and weakening things.

Either way - disappointing.

Posted

I'd re-assess that is it moves nearer - skies looked super about 15 mins ago - now nothing more impressive than a light shower!

Radar shows what were three lines of intense showers converging pretty much overhead, each killing the others off!

Only places that look optimistic on the radar are the downpours heading into NW Kent now, and one to the WSW of me on the end of the three lines....poor!! Counts a thunder activity for my chart :( but perhaps the poorest I've ever seen!!

Yout right about N/W Kent just heard extremely loud crack of thunder

Posted

Yout right about N/W Kent just heard extremely loud crack of thunder

Hmm...Dad just rang, said he is stuck on the M25, black skies, pouring rain with thunder and lightning..........and I got nothing more than poxy rumbles....not fair :(

Posted

We've got rumbles of thunder here, had a deluge of rain a few moments ago but it doesn't seem that strong, still developing I expect.

Posted

Seems to be right above, saw impresive CG and great thunder going too, more stair rod rain as well

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Certainly not a glitch - they have completely fall apart!

One of two things spring to mind - either the lines of showers have killed each other off upon converging, or the High pressure is now nosing in from the SW and weakening things.

Either way - disappointing.

yes...its rather odd, air pressure is 1010 rising slowly, but there's energy and lift available with no cap....The only thing I've noticed is that a sample of weather stations to the east of trough are showing single digit dewpoints, perhaps too much lower level dry air to the east, just a rather uneducated guess!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

It seems the Bridgnorth shield is holding up well again :(

Brilliant photo opportunities though today.

Kain

Posted

That must be the trough line Harry, it looked similar here at around 09.00-10.30 as the trough edged in from the West.

Some of the anvils have spread out by miles today leading to a generally cloudy sky.

Up here in Chippenham, Andy, I'm in a nice sunny spot between clouds and I must say there are some spectacular looking cloulds around. Surprised it's not raining over you, looking from here, but I guess that with the clouds so big it's difficult to judge their distance. Nonetheless, there's a lovely anvil to the west which must be giving some rain to somebody.

Cheers

Steve

Posted

sky getting brighter to my west, it looks like its heading toward Gravesend or just north of there

Posted

Even got thunder in Maidstone, well, Kings Hill area - MW must have some surely!!

Pouring down here - no more thunder though - boooo!

Edited by Harry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

some anvils now going up in the last 30 mins

post-8439-12484433515423_thumb.jpgpost-8439-12484433585675_thumb.jpg

the picture to the right is a huge anvil which im under at the moment.

Edited by fromey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

had a direct hit over Crayford, whilst in Nandos! with a two quite low cracks of thunder.... the radar looks good for the next hour or so

Posted

Thought I just heard thunder, but I may be wrong. Its looking very dark over Isle of Sheppey way.

Edit: definately thunder here now.

Edited by k66yla

Posted

This storm is moving east slowly, it's getting stronger, had some vivid CG's with loud cracks of thunder so it's tapping into the potential energy by the looks of things.

I can now see the back of the storm, so it's moving away.

Posted

Up here in Chippenham, Andy, I'm in a nice sunny spot between clouds and I must say there are some spectacular looking cloulds around. Surprised it's not raining over you, looking from here, but I guess that with the clouds so big it's difficult to judge their distance. Nonetheless, there's a lovely anvil to the west which must be giving some rain to somebody. Cheers Steve

It has rained Steve but only gently on and off in the last half an hour. If you check the radar the showers are now coming in from the Bristol Channel & moving ESE rather than E or ENE as we've become used to. This is carrying the heavier ones across the Mendips.

some anvils now going up in the last 30 mins

post-8439-12484433515423_thumb.jpgpost-8439-12484433585675_thumb.jpg

the picture to the right is a huge anvil which im under at the moment.

It's massive isn't it! :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

It has rained Steve but only gently on and off in the last half an hour. If you check the radar the showers are now coming in from the Bristol Channel & moving ESE rather than E or ENE as we've become used to. This is carrying the heavier ones across the Mendips.

It's massive isn't it! laugh.gif

you taking the p##s!cc_confused.gif

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Very Dark menacing clouds to the north west , good towers visible

Posted

Active thunderstorm to my South, frequent thunder heard- the Southern horizon is a blank blue/grey wall!

Posted

End of this trough (oooh about 30 miles to my S) has really come to life!

Surrey, Sussex and Kent are going to get slammed in the coming hour or two unless it weakens! And I will no doubt see the pitch black skies to my S getting nothing out of it :(

Posted

Wow what a storm that was, some very close lightning strikes and booming thunder :(

im 20 mins away in Conisholme and i saw that storm over you, it skirted me and moved out over Grainthorpe jus a min or two up the road all we had here was the rumbles no lightening at all, however it looks like more could be on its way im in a weird position that one storm front is to my North and the other to my south. Im in this no mans land between both.

Lo