Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

A live uk snow map being used in conjunction with Twitter http://uksnow.benmarsh.co.uk/ which is picking up exactly where snow is falling at present. Looks quite accurate.

heavy snow to the SW of Birmingham?..must be that transparent snow again!....looks like some of those twitters are talking a load of ballcocks!...lol

Posted

A live uk snow map being used in conjunction with Twitter http://uksnow.benmarsh.co.uk/ which is picking up exactly where snow is falling at present. Looks quite accurate.

Thats actually pretty nifty :) Can be a little unreliable though i guess? :)

Edited by JamieUK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Thats actually pretty nifty good.gif Can be a little unreliable though i guess? cc_confused.gif

Agreed I think it's best if you just look where most groupings are

Posted

I'd actually rather have mild weather than missing out on a covering of snow by 50-100 miles.

Just got back from town , I can't believe it , a massive downgrade within 12 hours that makes us miss the lot. It isn't even an Easterly , looking at the winds there almost Northerly hence the ppn not coming Inland. This is a Joke. It looked like it was certain even on the 6z this morning . The weathermen were even ramping up showers getting to the west earlier on the TV .

All I can say is what a JOKE <>

Not happy

Chris

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Just got back from town , I can't believe it , a massive downgrade within 12 hours that makes us miss the lot. It isn't even an Easterly , looking at the winds there almost Northerly hence the ppn not coming Inland. This is a Joke. It looked like it was certain even on the 6z this morning . The weathermen were even ramping up showers getting to the west earlier on the TV .

All I can say is what a JOKE <>

Not happy

Chris

Agreed, i'm pi**ed.

Posted

Well 18:30 BBC weather forecast confirmed possible heavy snow showers as per Met Office site Thursday pm into Friday for the East Midlands, SE England most at risk but I guess in won't need much change in wind direction to affect other parts of our region.

Edited by jimben

Posted

There has been a big difference on the models, they have shifted eastwards somewhat as is what normally seems to occur in the last 24hrs before an event. I still wouldn't rule out the models being wrong and being too far east however, these things are mighty hard to forecast. The only issue for you guys in the Midlands is the fact that there is very strong agreement between all the models I've seen tonight thus far.

Posted

Agreed, i'm pi**ed.

The UKMO precipitation charts look like they take it a little further inland , but even the meto forecast saying a period of light rain/sleet/snow but Only in the south of area , Suppose that means Northampton .

Posted

The UKMO precipitation charts look like they take it a little further inland , but even the meto forecast saying a period of light rain/sleet/snow but Only in the south of area , Suppose that means Northampton .

See what happens when you keep your glass half full.

Posted

maybe things will shift west by tomorrow afternoon :rolleyes:

Posted

What an excellent site! Thanks for sharing.

Posted

maybe things will shift west by tomorrow afternoon :rolleyes:

Thats what I like to hear, better then the depressing cr*p that comes out of most peoples mouths lol :D:p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

What an excellent site! Thanks for sharing.

Oops, just realised I forgot to put in my last post...Thanks for the Link Jimben!

Posted

Another wretched gloomy day around 4-5C with light rain on and off- it doesn't feel cold enough for sleet, let alone snow! No chance of anything settling anyhow if this cloud doesn't shift and allow the ground to go below freezing.

I'd actually rather have mild weather than missing out on a covering of snow by 50-100 miles.

Sorry guys, I totally agree with this statement. Even more so with the Shrewsbury speciality of getting rain/sleet/nothing when it snows 15 miles away. It's just like I'd rather have it raining/cold everywhere in summer than seeing the SE basking in 30C sunshine when it's cloudy and 10C cooler everywhere else.

As for the Midlands getting snow from an easterly- well it hasn't since 1996/7, at least not in this part of the midlands, apart from slight coverings that melted in the daytime. I remember a few occasions in the 90s when an easterly spread a uniform area of snow (not just hit-and miss showers, the curse of last Feb's easterly) across the central part of Britain, giving a decent, fairly even covering over both W and E Midlands. I'm thinking of 7-8 Feb 91, 14-15 Feb 94 and 31 Dec 96-1 Jan 97.

The "frontal battleground" scenario with precip from the W turning to snow as it hits cold air over us, which keeps the mildness out- yes that is the best setup of all, except that we only ever seem to pull it off in March! In Dec-Feb all we get when what looks good for this arrives is sleet or at best 1-2hrs of snow before it turns to rain and the temp goes up to 8-10C. I wonder if that's because the Atlantic flow isn't so strong in March, meaning that it has a harder time displacing the cold air.

Posted

i jamie, you'd think we were drawing up southwesterlies going by the mood on here. the risk of snow still stands, and tomorrow morning could paint a completely different picture. :rolleyes:

Posted

i jamie, you'd think we were drawing up southwesterlies going by the mood on here. the risk of snow still stands, and tomorrow morning could paint a completely different picture. :)

Yeah too rite!

I hope things change for the better. The thing is, this is 1 run people are looking at and thinking is real rubbish. But seriously, this has been going on for ages now, 1 run looks good, the other complete rubbish and then we wake up in the morning and walaaaaaa - it's an amazing upgrade.

Calm down people, im sure things will change! :D:good::rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Shefali Oza on Midlands Today mentioned the risk of snow for Sunday.

Can't believe the mass hysteria on here after one run.

Edit: Wahey, post number 3000 :rolleyes:

Edited by nick2702

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Shefali Oza on Midlands Today mentioned the risk of snow for Sunday.

Can't believe the mass hysteria on here after one run.

Edit: Wahey, post number 3000 :rolleyes:

cant stand her she is crap! bring back simon from weatheronline!, weekend looking good for us yeah nick, just pleased a few cold dry days coming up, last rain day today for maybe a week

Posted

cant stand her she is crap! bring back simon from weatheronline!, weekend looking good for us yeah nick, just pleased a few cold dry days coming up, last rain day today for maybe a week

Fully agreed mate. She is crap, Simon is way better. She only went out to 3pm tomorrow on today's forecast - that is terrible, what about those who might want to know if it could snow during rush hour tomorrow? She is one of these weather presenters that know very little about the weather.

Bring back Simon!

Posted

A few snow showers look possible now tomorrow,but it`s definately the SE that`ll be getting all the fun with gales and blizzards from this.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/brack0.gif

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Fully agreed mate. She is crap, Simon is way better. She only went out to 3pm tomorrow on today's forecast - that is terrible, what about those who might want to know if it could snow during rush hour tomorrow? She is one of these weather presenters that know very little about the weather.

Bring back Simon!

Indeed. The weather forecasts barely last more than a minute and its all rushed with little knowledge imo. For example David Braine on BBC Spotlight goes into good detail and their forecasts can be for some 4 minutes long although there is more to cover there. But ours are so rubbish. :rolleyes:

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Bring back Simon!

fully agree, what do you think about our snow chances over weekend? miles off yet but stand a chance

Posted

fully agree, what do you think about our snow chances over weekend? miles off yet but stand a chance

Well I have looked at the Met Office site, and found something odd. The maps show wall to wall sunshine. However, look at the 3-5 day outlook and it paints a different picture...

Cold and windy at times with overnight frosts. Isolated sleet or snow showers on Friday and Saturday but mostly dry and bright. More persistent sleet and snow showers on Sunday.

Why can't the Met Office be consistent with their forecasts? They were updated within 20 minutes of each other!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Well I have looked at the Met Office site, and found something odd. The maps show wall to wall sunshine. However, look at the 3-5 day outlook and it paints a different picture...

Why can't the Met Office be consistent with their forecasts? They were updated within 20 minutes of each other!

Its a right mess some forecasts and im fed up of the BBC and Meto being so secretive by just saying the odd snow shower to cover themselves up. Their Winter forecast isnt much better with similar percentages to again cover themselves so if it went either way they will say we said there was a chance we got it right. :rolleyes: