Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW!

Yuk to the 12z so far - looks like Thurs/Fri's snow has gone. The 12z charts so far fit totally in line with the METO's warnings issued yesterday.

I hope it's not going to be so near and yet so far for us here.

Posted

I totally agree with you- same for Nottingham, I reckon we might get a few flurries blowing in the wind, but about 10 miles east of us will get snow. I'd bet on it! dry.gif

There always seem to be a hole over Nottingham on the snow maps :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Yuk to the 12z so far - looks like Thurs/Fri's snow has gone. The 12z charts so far fit totally in line with the METO's warnings issued yesterday.

I hope it's not going to be so near and yet so far for us here.

Agreed... isn't it always the same!

Posted

Well forget my last post. The 12z is a bitterly (excuse the pun) disappointing run, which erases snow potential from our region Thursday/Friday pretty much entirely. It does make more of the front on Saturday night though compared to the last, so some areas could see 3-5cm from that one as it passes through. To be fair though it's nothing compared to what some parts of East Anglia and the SE could experience on Friday with the stalling front. Good luck to them and I do mean that sincerely, but I can't believe a NEly of this calibre is only going to provide very localised dumpings in the SE corner. :D

Posted

As i said, non event. For our areas anyway, EAST AND SE are the place to be as in february earlier this year.

Edited by tom_f123

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Yep, not the best of runs in the short term for the W Midlands....an odd flurry, thats about it until saturday...lets see what the latest run has in store for us up to T+192

Posted

As i said, non event. For our areas anyway, EAST AND SE are the place to be as in february earlier this year.

But then look what happened a few days later. It could be a precursor to a lengthier snowy spell affecting a larger swathe of the country IF we can hold onto the colder air.

Posted

So if Northamptons out of the question for this run, then so is just NE of Oxford i guess :lol: boooo!

Edited by JamieUK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

F.F.S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The 12z has downgraded the snow for the Midlands tomorrow and Friday BIG style.

Not a happy boy at all.

Edited by andy_leics22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW!

It always just seems to be out of reach for us, doesn't it, always temptingly being shown more than 2 days away and then, ping, disappearing when we're 24 hours away.

Sorry for the whinging - was really looking forward to some snow tomorrow night. Will be back on form and excited about Saturday in a bit.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Nice charts coming through for the nxt wk or so , details at this point though are set to differ , more ups and downs no doupt , with this event tomorrow evening , does any1 think the area of ppn forecast to affect the south-east is a done deal then now? I no how hard these events are to forecast and iv seen it time an time again things change within hours to the event , this morning they were expecting it to travel inland throught the mids and towards the south-west petering out as it does so , now they think the south-east , is there chance o things changing again you think??

i.e push back in land , maybe further north , south , west ect. . .

Thoughts very welcome , mellow.gifdry.gifcc_confused.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

GFS chops & changes by the run....one minute snow, next sunshine, the next drizzle.....think I'll go back to the tried and tested forumla of sticking ones head out of ones window and looking upwards to see whats falling...infallible!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

Well forget my last post. The 12z is a bitterly (excuse the pun) disappointing run, which erases snow potential from our region Thursday/Friday pretty much entirely. It does make more of the front on Saturday night though compared to the last, so some areas could see 3-5cm from that one as it passes through. To be fair though it's nothing compared to what some parts of East Anglia and the SE could experience on Friday with the stalling front. Good luck to them and I do mean that sincerely, but I can't believe a NEly of this calibre is only going to provide very localised dumpings in the SE corner. wallbash.gif

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mad.gif the 12z run BLOWS. what happened here???????? I KNEW we would get squat, minus the odd flurry. This is so annoying! I always promise myself to not get my hopes up, but I cant help it after staring at the potential weather prospects for about 10 days straight EVERY day like some kind of 6year old who never saw snow before. Now I am dissappointed AGAIN as somewhere else rakes in the snow. I'm moving Finland......nonono.gif

Posted

think I'll go back to the tried and tested forumla of sticking ones head out of ones window and looking upwards to see whats falling...infallible!

Post of the day in this thread.

The only and best way to see what the weather is doing.

Posted

At least the lowest temperatures should be recorded in our region. Although they would be lower with snowcover which now looks to be minimal. It's not much consolation to be honest, I'm not that big a fan of cold, dry weather as I see it as potential wasted especially when other areas look likely to get hammered. But it will admittedly be interesting to see just how low those temps do go. I guess some of us got very lucky back in Feb so we shouldn't complain too much about this latest disappointment (or normality if you prefer) but why does it always have to be so marginal these days even in good setups like this. :)

The neighbours are rowing loudly by the way. No doubt their bad moods were brought about by tonight's 12z and now they are taking their anger out on eachother!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Snow chances reduced too much for my liking. Every where else-Snow a plenty. :rolleyes:

Posted

UKMO precipitation chart Fri 18.12.09 12am:

U36-594.GIF?16-17

Says it all really doesn't it! The further south-east you are, the better.

Perhaps slightly better for us further north and west than the GFS, but only ever so slightly. And bear in mind that is a 6 hour rainfall chart up to midnight, not 3 hours like the GFS. 1mm over 6 hours is very little-- only the areas shaded green are likely to see actual snow.

Edited by NorthantsSnow

Posted

as has been said, it will be bitterly cold in the coming days, with some ice days possible. frosts will also become ever more prevelant i would have thought, meaning the scenes will look wintry enough, with or without snow. as for the white stuff, well it is the price we pay living so far from the sea, especially here in the west midlands with no coastline for 60 miles or more. i would have thought the met office have called it right in the 3 to 5 day outlook, with isolated snow showers reaching the west midlands, but perhaps slightly more widespread and frequent towards sunday. to be honest, it was never really that likely that a brief easterly would cause widespread showers to our region. north-westerlys are more favourable in and around the western/central midlands. good luck to all though, as im sure many of us will see at least a few flakes of snow in the coming days, and that is not bad going by recent decembers :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Classic Snow Joke this. Our chances for tomorrow have gone pretty much so has Friday. Saturday night might bring a flurry if were lucky. :rolleyes:

Posted

Snow chances reduced too much for my liking. Every where else-Snow a plenty. :rolleyes:

not necessarily true luke, im sure we will fair much better than south wales and the south west in this cold spell, the northerly included. for the next couple of days, the snow risk is really confined to the south-east and the east coast. as has been said though, some very low maxima are likely for here. we could be doing a lot worse(16 degrees and rain)

Posted

I wouldn't pay much attention to the charts, there will be plenty of showers around that are likely to get well inland. Further east you are the better though. Its a case of watching the radar. The worst possible thing you could do is watch the BBC graphics forecast :rolleyes: The amount of people that moan because the white blob just misses them :rolleyes: !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

Guttedwallbash.gif watched this weather coming in for 10 days and at the last minute its taken away,I SHOULD KNOW BETTERnonono.gif this happens 95% of the time. It will be cold but if you are like me you wanted snow. a glass of merlot ithink!mad.gif

Posted

Guttedwallbash.gif watched this weather coming in for 10 days and at the last minute its taken away,I SHOULD KNOW BETTERnonono.gif this happens 95% of the time. It will be cold but if you are like me you wanted snow. a glass of merlot ithink!mad.gif

The best thing about these posts is the event has not even started yet! Keep watching the radar and you might be surprised, that's the nature of showers!