Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

shocking how meto underplay this, they say turning less cold at weekend? hardly the uppers are -10 for a time in the northerly, GFS/metcheck keep me below 0 all weekend

I have never known a cold spell where the models have been so conflicting with the Met Office forecasts before. Really is bizarre.

3c here, just had some drizzle, other than that another grey day so far.

Edited by nick2702

Posted

cold and damp start here today.

All eyes on tommorow afternoon/evening. Potential for a few snow showers to push in land towards the west midlands. A hit and miss scenario i would say.

Posted

Well, considering I was forecast light snow here with a temp of 0C right up until early afternoon, they sure got that wrong!

It's now raining for christ sake! Now just dull, damp and murky, likes it been for the past 2days or more! erghhh.....:D

Posted

Tomorrow looks very interesting indeed for the east Midlands, I'd fully expect heavy snow showers to come in and probably a frontal system looking at the Fax charts for the early night time hours, I can see some places probably getting 15-20cms locally from this IF things pans out as well as it could...The area within 20-30 miles of the Wash probably has the best chance of this.

Posted

Tomorrow looks very interesting indeed for the east Midlands, I'd fully expect heavy snow showers to come in and probably a frontal system looking at the Fax charts for the early night time hours, I can see some places probably getting 15-20cms locally from this IF things pans out as well as it could...The area within 20-30 miles of the Wash probably has the best chance of this.

East Midlands are perfectly in line for a good dumping, however the question is hor far will they penetrate inland?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

milder air across the country now - when will the colder worke it's way in?

Posted

milder air across the country now - when will the colder worke it's way in?

Tonight :( And it'll finally get rid of all this gloominess too!

Posted

Well having just seen the latest bbc weather on news24 the midlands looks like recieving no snow right up till saturday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Tonight :) And it'll finally get rid of all this gloominess too!

Thank goodness for that...Working in this cold drizzly gloom is thoroughly depressing...Any change would be nice!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Running on from my little rant earlier lol

....Its now snowing....and settling! clap.gif

yes moderate snow in Reading now !

poor old Midlands cray.gif

Posted

Thanks. So I assume the precipitation heading our way will fall as rain and give the ground more soaking then :)

Posted

East Midlands are perfectly in line for a good dumping, however the question is hor far will they penetrate inland?

Not very far IMO. I'm expecting Lincs to do very well out of this, but I don't expect Northants to do all that well. Should at least some falling snow late Thursday which is better than nothing.

Puzzled though as to why the Met Office are forecasting sleet Thursday night with an air temp of -2C and upper temps much much lower? I'm beginning to think they've lost the plot a bit.

Posted

Puzzled though as to why the Met Office are forecasting sleet Thursday night with an air temp of -2C and upper temps much much lower? I'm beginning to think they've lost the plot a bit.

Im very confused I though the rain/sleet was coming from the north due to arrive late afternoon and would be marginal sleet in the west

Its moderate snow in Reading settling everywhere at -1c

Models bah !

Posted

East Midlands:

Leicester

Leicestershire

Lincolnshire

Northamptonshire

Nottingham

Nottinghamshire

Rutland

Heavy Snow Thu 17 Dec:

There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting eastern parts of England. Rain showers will turn increasingly to snow, especially during the late afternoon and evening. Accumulations of up to 5cm are likely with perhaps 10cm over hills.

Issued at: 1015 Wed 16 Dec

East Midlands:

Lincolnshire

Northamptonshire

Rutland

Heavy Snow Fri 18 Dec:

There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting southeastern parts of England. Snow showers, especially during the first half of the day, will give local accumulations of 5 to 10cm. Some drifting snow possible in the strong north to northeasterly wind.

you would think the strong wind would blow the showers further inland, but bbc forecasts dont seem to think our area will get anything from this

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Rain here in Northants Temp 2.5c and dewpoint 1.0c

Posted

Rain here also and a temp and dp of 3.3 so not a hope of even sleet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Just usual dull, cold drizzle here...

Posted

With regards to tomorrow's set-up, esp overnight into Friday we have a frontal system develop, the GFS shows this very nicely and that throws quite a decent amount of precip westwards from the looks of things, this slowly drifts southwards. Either side of the front there should be decent amount of showers packing in fro mthe NE, obviously the favoured spots will get the most but its a set-up worth watching. I think the showers probably won't penertrate too far inland I agree but fronts/troughs will help the cause in that respect.

Posted

I think i could just about use the word upgrade in regards to the latest bbc forecast on n24. Hopefully a sign of things to come.

Posted

Rain in North Oxfordshire

I live in North oxfordshire but work in Reading

Def snow here and settled everywhere

Looks like Ill have to go back to rain