Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Good news for anyone over higher ground and towards the eastern counties of the west Midlands. Met Office have updated their forecast predicting light or heavy snow showers feeding in off that strong NNE wind. Like I said, all it takes is one fairl heavy shower and we'll have 1-2" on the ground by morning, and it won't melt fast either, as a frost, which may be severe should form under -5 temps in some places.

So it looks like we may not miss out entirely.

Yes looking good for us west midlanders near the east midlands, best we enjoy the next 5 to 7 days as if GFS 12Z is anything to by we`ll be opening up a midlands localised flooding thread the week after next :lol:

Posted

Anyone able to access the nw radar atm? not working for me just when we need it most.

Posted

yep, agreed

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/wm/birmingham_forecast_weather.html

Snow showers all through the night drinks.gif . Was showing dry all night before this update!

Good spot - checked this on and off all day, but now they've updated !!!

Had a few flurries here n there today, temps not breached 2c here on the 'hill :lol: :lol: :cold::cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hot sunshine and snowstorms

Had one flurry that lasted...dadadadadadadadaaaaaa.....4 seconds! LOL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Looks like the showers are penetrating Inland well but ive re run the NW radar to find every single shower has dodged here. :lol:

Posted

Very cold indeed, in fact hovering around freezing. Any snow showers from now will settle without a problem.

PS: Dew point -4c!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Apparently had a brief snow flurry this afternoon. But being stuck in a maths class with the blinds down I couldn't see it. Hoping to get some snow over the weekend and into Monday. Anybody hoping for snow showers tonight really are clutching at straws unless they live in the East Midlands!

Bitterly cold today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

cold.gifcold.gif Right then iv looked at the radar for europe and from what i can see this is how it stands

We'r currently sitting in the slot of dryer air that comes infront of a front , and we'r too close to the low to be involved in the showers , so i personaly think our best option is to hope the low system throws areas of ppn off it as it spins round , coming into our neck of the woods , i feel the shower activity is too far north for it to have a major inpact , however it seemed to be that there unsure the exact track of the low pressure is goin to take, and it did seem to be throwing thinhs slightly further north and west , its a case of now casting i think.

Any1 have in insight to tonights event of thoughts would be great . thanks cc_confused.gifcc_confused.gif

Posted

Apparently had a brief snow flurry this afternoon. But being stuck in a maths class with the blinds down I couldn't see it. Hoping to get some snow over the weekend and into Monday. Anybody hoping for snow showers tonight really are clutching at straws unless they live in the East Midlands!

Bitterly cold today.

Nick look at all those heavy showers piling in from the noerth east, they'll be heading straight to us (a fair few of them to be fair), just like the heavy snow shower we had at 2pm

No wonder Met Office is now predicting heavy snow all night here in the eastern half of the west midlands.

Posted

Bitterly cold today.

i have to agree, imho, we are really on a borderline here between snow and clear skies. the showers are dying out somewhat at the present, but no doubt they will build up again in the east. the question is, how far inland do they push. i think east of birmingham is really where people should be looking, anywhere west(like moi) should be keeping very low expectations indeed. the weekend is still very much up in the air imho, anything could happen, i doubt it will all be snow that falls from the sky. id keep those sledges away at the moment.

Posted

There is the possibility that showers will make it as far as Birmingham, yes. That's not me being biased or over optimistic, there is a genuine chance of a few light-moderate snow showers penetrating inland. I certainly won't be surprised to see a covering tomorrow morning, but if there isn't, then I won't be disappointed as we're not even in the main risk area. The Met Office updated their forecast this afternoon with light or heavy snow showers affecting Birmingham from late tonight through the early hours of Friday morning, so I'll take that as a good sign that showers can make far enough inland to affect here.

There is a small chance that the LP will move more West than predicted.

Though this is a small chance at present.

Mr Angwin wasnt sure how far West and South this would go and Louise Lear wasnt either..

But the general theme is that we like you say might get a bit if we are lucky.

Though many times with snow they get the direction wrong so here is wishing :(

edit...just to add....Lear was confident of snow for N.Ireland and Scotland for the weekend as a possability this will spread down...my words there

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Bitterly cold today.

Hi all Midlanders, new poster from Shrewsbury.biggrin.gif

We usually miss all the snow and this time doesn't look like being any different. What are we in for in the next 4 days???

I'm not technical but I'd say we've had a strange day. This morning wasn't massively cold but it's got colder as the day's gone on. We saw snowflakes at 3:30ish but it was literally half a dozen. Then at 4pm, it went really black over Telford way and it passed south and missed us entirly.

The temperature is now -2laugh.gif which is brilliant but is it going to snow???

Thanks all

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

What do others think of the Snow showers on the NE Coast reaching here? Looks like they might if they last?

Posted

Id say we'l be lucky to get in on the good stuff later, however a few of us will catch a snow shower here and there and with temps easily below 0 the snow will be on the ground come morning if your up early enough to see it. a dusting possible anywhere in the midlands tonight, maybe with one or two very lucky ones having 2-3cms. Hopefully im wrong and we get bucket loads :( precip changes of 50miles 1 way or the other isnt exactly that unheard of.

Posted

We will be very lucky to get any decent showers tonight. We could definitely get some light snow showers drifting through, perhaps even the odd heavy one for a lucky few. But being night there is no sunlight to fuel the showers, so as soon as they move off the North Sea they will begin to die out.

I doubt very much if anyone wakes up to a meaningful covering in the western half of the region (ie. Birmingham westwards).

Edited by nick2702

Posted

What do others think of the Snow showers on the NE Coast reaching here? Looks like they might if they last?

Hit and Miss scenario, just like we got lucky this afternoon. Most of them will fizzle out but few will manage to penetrate inland with a few heavier bursts here and there.

Oh the joys of nowcasting!!!whistling.gif

EDIT: A big snow shower heading straight into stoke on trent in the next haf an hour... this will be interesting to see and give us a better idea how the front is working. Lets see if it peps up or quickly dies away. Keep an eye on the rest too.

Posted

Heavy snow showers in stoke around 3 pm & another around 4. Nothing since, but we have the obligatory dusting & it's already frosty.

Yes, already nearly -1c here, even if we don't get any snow tonight there should still be some pretty low temperatures.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

We will be very lucky to get any decent showers tonight. We could definitely get some light snow showers drifting through, perhaps even the odd heavy one for a lucky few. But being night there is no sunlight to fuel the showers, so as soon as they move off the North Sea they will begin to die out.

I doubt very much if anyone wakes up to a meaningful covering in the western half of the region (ie. Birmingham westwards).

heavy snow shower on my way home, left a dusting more than I expected, have you not had any? i have noticed the showers mainly going to my north, my temp -0.6C

Posted

heavy snow shower on my way home, left a dusting more than I expected, have you not had any? i have noticed the showers mainly going to my north, my temp -0.6C

Apparently we had a snow flurry this afternoon. But I was in a classroom with the blinds down so I didn't actually see it!

My radar has got stuck on 3.30pm, which is annoying.

Posted

Had blizzard like conditions for 10 minutes at Balsall Common around 1:30pm but not seen any snow since then.

Currently in North Oxfordshire and it's clear sky and zero°C