Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

No worries me ol mucka. Not too bad ya know :cc_confused: Surprised about that LOL. I woke up at 7:30am after 4 hours sleep and had some water and tea and a bit to eat, went back bed for a few hours and now I feel fine. Cider is kind to me, if that was 6 cans of beer I would be throwing up but cider doesen't seem to have the same effect :D

Morning (ehem!) matey.

You ok today? Looking a little better for us in the last hour, I'm starting to feel a little more optimistic :D

Posted

No worries me ol mucka. Not too bad ya know :cc_confused: Surprised about that LOL. I woke up at 7:30am after 4 hours sleep and had some water and tea and a bit to eat, went back bed for a few hours and now I feel fine. Cider is kind to me, if that was 6 cans of beer I would be throwing up but cider doesen't seem to have the same effect :D

Think i'm gonna be on the whiskey tonight. Everything is breaking up over leicester. I really hope this isn't going to happen later.

Posted

Right, I think the weather's lost the plot. I now have been forcast almost every possibility that can happen, there has just been the lightest 10 seconds of snow (not sleet, it all fell as flakes), and now i've lost all confidence in the lot.

Air Temp: 2.4C

Dew point: 0.4C

God help our region. :cc_confused:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I gave in and looked at the radar...and for the first time ever I was pleasantly surprised by doing so! It really has got its act together. And to those complaining it is moving very slowly, why? The past 2 events whizzed through and as a result we got next to nowt. This is very heavy stuff and is barely budging, you are looking at some heavy snowfall and strong winds - possibly even causing blizzard conditions in the true meaning of the phrase.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

I gave in and looked at the radar...and for the first time ever I was pleasantly surprised by doing so! It really has got its act together. And to those complaining it is moving very slowly, why? The past 2 events whizzed through and as a result we got next to nowt. This is very heavy stuff and is barely budging, you are looking at some heavy snowfall and strong winds - possibly even causing blizzard conditions in the true meaning of the phrase.

I agree, plus just spoke to a friend now in Oxon who reported the rain was turning to snow...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Right, I think the weather's lost the plot. I now have been forcast almost every possibility that can happen, there has just been the lightest 10 seconds of snow (not sleet, it all fell as flakes), and now i've lost all confidence in the lot.

Air Temp: 2.4C

Dew point: 0.4C

God help our region. :rolleyes:

Were not in the main band yet and if it all feel of snow in the lightest of PPN thats very good.

Posted

I agree, plus just spoke to a friend now in Oxon who reported the rain was turning to snow...

Yup, and they are considerably further south than us, we are in colder air, so any rain will be much shorter lived. The longer it takes to get here the better anyway as it will be colder later than it is now. Have patience everyone!

Posted

Yup, and they are considerably further south than us, we are in colder air, so any rain will be much shorter lived. The longer it takes to get here the better anyway as it will be colder later than it is now. Have patience everyone!

could you imagine if they had got it wrong, and the majority of it fell as snow, rather than this marginal muck. it does make me laugh with the beebs graphics though, they are talking of further snowfall across the midlands and wales tomorrow, and the graphics show rain! ditch the graphics, bring back the symbols!

Posted

could you imagine if they had got it wrong, and the majority of it fell as snow, rather than this marginal muck. it does make me laugh with the beebs graphics though, they are talking of further snowfall across the midlands and wales tomorrow, and the graphics show rain! ditch the graphics, bring back the symbols!

Or at least improve the graphics. I have never understood why precipitation moves in "pulses", creating the illusion that it "skips" over certain places. Why can't they have it making a smooth movement like it actually does?

Posted

The First front has stalled over Manchester for 3 hours now and is Just raining itself out. I'm guessing that is the most North point the ppn will go then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Phil, can you remember the 1990 blizzard and how marginal that was? if I remember rightly, we had nothing but rain and sleet forecast for that one, and the dewpoints/uppers and gorund temps are about the same?

I'm not saying we'll have a snowfall like that, but, that's just an example of how things can go badly wrong for froecasters in a "good" way.

10thdec19901.gif

10thdec19902.gif

Well its rain rain rain in Reading (work there) and its full of shoppers looking for a £4 bargin.

Thinking back to a week ago when it was heavy snow !

Nothing worse then rain at 3c in the wind with 25,000 shoppers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

raining in stoke no snow yet

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Plenty of snow reports from Wales now. Looking better now. :mellow:

Our patience should pay off later with a prolonged spell of snow (hopefully) lasting well into the night as long as it stalls near us!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

Nothing but sleet here so far (Malvern, 840ft ASL), but the organised area of precip is not far away now, so we'll soon find out what we're destined for in this neck of the woods. I cancelled some plans today based on the forecasts for this area over the past few days (which included the first name-check for the Malverns on a national BBC forecast that I can recall), so will be rather annoyed if the predicted snow doesn't happen.

Posted

Plenty of snow reports from Wales now. Looking better now. :unknw:

Our patience should pay off later with a prolonged spell of snow (hopefully) lasting well into the night as long as it stalls near us!

It is annoying me now it just keeps breaking up over Birmingham , If you look between 1 and 1.30 radar you cans ee it has done it again . I really hope we get a Northward push of the heavy ppn or we are just going to end up with drizzle.

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Plenty of snow reports from Wales now.

That could be where it stays. :unknw:

Posted

It is moving so slowly!

A good and Bad thing about that.

Bad is that we have to wait but its not that far now.

Good is that by the time it gets here it will still move very slowly and eventually stall perhaps so we get a very prolonged event possibly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Nothing but sleet here so far (Malvern, 840ft ASL), but the organised area of precip is not far away now, so we'll soon find out what we're destined for in this neck of the woods. I cancelled some plans today based on the forecasts for this area over the past few days (which included the first name-check for the Malverns on a national BBC forecast that I can recall), so will be rather annoyed if the predicted snow doesn't happen.

Hi Snowmoon - I used to live in Malvern (Leigh Sinton Rd) and was quite envious of what was coming your way - I hope it's not a let-down as the potential is great. btw, do you remember Feb '96 - 24 hours of snow and nearly 50cm fell - it was amazing!

Posted

Its really quite close now. If its snow then boy are we in for some fun! :unknw:

Posted

In case anyone's wondering... The MO have issued flash warnings for heavy snow the whole of the West Midlands and East Midlands (apart from lincolnshire).

Edited by Hailsowen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Morning (ehem!) matey.

You ok today? Looking a little better for us in the last hour, I'm starting to feel a little more optimistic :)

Hey mate :) Yeh i'm not too bad thanks, hoping for some snowww to lift my mood.