Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

The last forecast I watched, the forecaster took Birmingham as an example saying that here would most likely see periods of heavy snow and periods of rainfall. Only over much higher ground will it most likely all be snow. But that's fine, I wasn't expecting anything notable for here anyway. I actually thought my predictions yesterday of 2-3" falls were quite optimistic, and I've since lowered them.

I do still think that if there are some fairly heavy bands of snow this evening, it will settle quite easily. All is not lossed, especially when you consider the event hasn't begun for here yet.

Hmm interesting enough. I will believe it when i see it but for now it doesnt look great.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

ITN just said 10 - 15cm for West Midlands, yet the weather woman said 5 - 10cm. shok.gif

Much of the 'snow' wasn't predicted till after 3pm when things begin to 'stall'

Im not sure why people from Leicester to Warwick are expecting snow this morning ???

Temps are going to start to drop now across a vast area of uk

If you look at Worcester you can see what I and the BBC mean ie light rain now by 3pm heavy sleet temps move from 3.5c to 2.2c and will continue to fall.

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Edited by stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Great news, temperature is starting to dip and the dew point is now below zero. 2.1c and -0.1c respectively.

Posted

its all still to play for guys! weather09 is right!

this snow is not coming in till afternoon/evening time and so the temps and dew points have plenty of time to drop off! i have to go to work now so hopefully when i get back at 20:15 there will be wonderful snow falling! see ya all later and stay positive guys! WE WILL GET SOME!drinks.gif

Posted

Temperature still rising here at 3.4°C but hopefully now peaked.

Light rain here at present.

Edited by xanadu

Posted

I was expecting snow this morning because the Metoffice said so... you can't trust them atall

I've not seen a forecast from the MetO or BBC saying snow this morning, rain and a possible wintry mix but no mention of snow for your area....

Posted

Hi from North Warwickshire :shok:

Looks like temps have stopped rising here and have leveled out I'm hoping this is the start of the drop in temps that folks seem to say is going to happen ....

KjF

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Much of the 'snow' wasn't predicted till after 3pm when things begin to 'stall'

Im not sure why people from Leicester to Warwick are expecting snow this morning ???

Temps are going to start to drop now across a vast area of uk

If you look at Worcester you can see what I and the BBC mean ie light rain now by 3pm heavy sleet temps move from 3.5c to 2.2c and will continue to fall.

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Yes that`s a good post Stewfox.

Looking at the Fax for T24hrs.

fax24s.gif

The main frontal band will affect us later today and tonight.

You can see it as the occlusion ,notice too the weak warm front that is moving to our north.

That is what has caused the drizzle for some and maybe raised the surface temps. a little.

The main band is very slow moving and is around Oxford,last time i looked.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Temperature still rising here at 3.4°C but hopefully now peaked.

Light rain here at present.

3.6 here! and a dp of 1.5... hmm....

Posted

So how come every time it's " gonna Snow here " the band of ppn breaks up around us then reforms behind us :(:D .

Everything seemed setup for us ....

GFS came online with the other models :( .....

Met office severe weather warning including possible depths :(

and a weather forecast of Snow for hours and hours maybe even days on and off :good:

and yet it's drying out here and actually getting brighter .... may even see the sun poking through soon

Unbelievable :80::80:

Nick

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Yes that`s a good post Stewfox.

Looking at the Fax for T24hrs.

fax24s.gif

The main frontal band will affect us later today and tonight.

You can see it as the occlusion ,notice too the weak warm front that is moving to our north.

That is what has caused the drizzle for some and maybe raised the surface temps. a little.

The main band is very slow moving and is around Oxford,last time i looked.

Hmm..I'm not convinced that the occluded front will push far enough north to affect the west midlands...very slow northerly movement, I just hope it doesn't now grind to a halt!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Hmm..I'm not convinced that the occluded front will push far enough north to affect the west midlands...very slow northerly movement, I just hope it doesn't now grind to a halt!

I think all we can do now is watch the radar and any updated tv forecasts as the hours go by.

At present is still moving slowly.

Posted

Just our bloomin' luck that would be, still, just about everything about this "event" has gone wrong so maybe that's the only bit of hope we can cling to, that it may actually give us all a surprise dumping? lol

Posted

I think all we can do now is watch the radar and any updated tv forecasts as the hours go by.

Yes the band is very slow moving! also that band coming from oxford seems to be slipping to my SE.

Posted

Temperature dropping further, 1.9c and DP now -0.2c. Anything which falls from the sky will be snow, but will anything fall...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

To throw you fellow Midlanders a grain of hope about the radar...

The UKMO 00z precip chart showed that the heavier stuff would move up and be slap bang over the Midlands by around midnight tonight.

U12-594.GIF?29-06

U24-594.GIF?29-06

Posted

Snow being reported much more widely now : Even reporting Snow in Bristol. Latest report from the MetOffice is also below .

Heavy snow across Wales and parts of central England.

There are currently reports of snow across the hills of southern Wales. A band of rain is expected to turn more widely to snow through this afternoon and into this evening with most of Wales and parts of central England likely to be worst affected. Issued at 1124 on Tue 29 Dec 2009.

Posted

To throw you fellow Midlanders a grain of hope about the radar...

The UKMO 00z precip chart showed that the heavier stuff would move up and be slap bang over the Midlands by around midnight tonight.

Thanks for those. You feeling it this morning afternoon? :(

Edited by nick2702

Posted

Phil, can you remember the 1990 blizzard and how marginal that was? if I remember rightly, we had nothing but rain and sleet forecast for that one, and the dewpoints/uppers and gorund temps are about the same?

I'm not saying we'll have a snowfall like that, but, that's just an example of how things can go badly wrong for froecasters in a "good" way.

10thdec19901.gif

10thdec19902.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Thanks for those. You feeling it this morning afternoon? :cc_confused:

No worries me ol mucka. Not too bad ya know :D Surprised about that LOL. I woke up at 7:30am after 4 hours sleep and had some water and tea and a bit to eat, went back bed for a few hours and now I feel fine. Cider is kind to me, if that was 6 cans of beer I would be throwing up but cider doesen't seem to have the same effect :D

Posted

Phil, can you remember the 1990 blizzard and how marginal that was? if I remember rightly, we had nothing but rain and sleet forecast for that one, and the dewpoints/uppers and gorund temps are about the same?

I'm not saying we'll have a snowfall like that, but, that's just an example of how things can go badly wrong for froecasters in a "good" way.

My Dad talks about Dec 1990 and about how heavy it was. Said they had no power for 2 days!

No worries me ol mucka. Not too bad ya know :D Surprised about that LOL. I woke up at 7:30am after 4 hours sleep and had some water and tea and a bit to eat, went back bed for a few hours and now I feel fine. Cider is kind to me, if that was 6 cans of beer I would be throwing up but cider doesen't seem to have the same effect :D

Nice one :cc_confused: