Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Meto saying 5-10cm and maybe upto 15cm possible on higher ground. YES PLEASE! :)

This is going to be good. :)

For the West Midlands: Outbreaks of sleet and snow will become heavy at times, particularly over high ground, with accumulations of 5 to 10 cm, perhaps 15 cm on hills. Strong winds will also cause some drifting of the snow.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the Highways Agency for further advice regarding traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 1359 Tue 29 Dec

:)

Posted

Hey mate :) Yeh i'm not too bad thanks, hoping for some snowww to lift my mood.

East Midlands:

Derby

Derbyshire

Leicester

Leicestershire

Northamptonshire

Nottingham

Nottinghamshire

Rutland

Heavy Snow 1600 Tue 29 0300 Wed 30

Outbreaks of sleet and snow will become heavy at times, particularly over high ground, with accumulations of 5 to 10 cm, perhaps 15 cm on hills. Strong winds will also cause some drifting of the snow.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the Highways Agency for further advice regarding traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 1359 Tue 29 Dec

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Phil, can you remember the 1990 blizzard and how marginal that was? if I remember rightly, we had nothing but rain and sleet forecast for that one, and the dewpoints/uppers and gorund temps are about the same?

I'm not saying we'll have a snowfall like that, but, that's just an example of how things can go badly wrong for froecasters in a "good" way.

10thdec19901.gif

10thdec19902.gif

I certainly do,CH.

I was in work on the early shift and i was going into work as it started around 5.30am.

By 10.30am we lost power and we all got sent home,by this time it was lying about 6 ins. deep and big flakes.

I had to abandon my car on Weddy lane as traffic had snarled up.

I walked across country via,caldecote and juddy`s quarry to get home in Chapel End.

It was tough,snow has got to a foot or so by then with 3-5ft. drifts near the quarry.

I got home at 3pm,exhausted.

Edited by phil n.warks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I think this is going to be good folks. This will give us many hours of heavy, drifting snow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Cloud increasingly by a sixth of an hour. And with those new weather warnings, things do indeed look good. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

I think this is going to be good folks. This will give us many hours of heavy, drifting snow!

It shows pretty much no sign of weakening aswell. Yeah...NON EVENT! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Coldie!

I've had to crack open a drink in order to calm my excitement!! I can't wait to tell my husband 'I TOLD YOU SO!!!'

Posted

http://www.meteox.co...oom&x=166&y=206

Nice beefy stuff coming our way

Most of it is rain or sleet here, so you need to hope that the temps don't rise too much or you won't be seeing snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I hope I'm wrong, but I've run the NW radar on 2 hour animated loop for the midlands, and for us north of Brum, I dont think the heavy precip will ever make it up here...sorry for the 'downer' post

Posted

I live in Warwickshire (Kenilworth) but work in Rugeley in Staffs..... any ideas what it will be like in both - will I get to work tomorrow!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

It's now more snow than rain here, but the snowflakes are still small so the snow isn't heavy enough to start covering the road (not yet at least!). The main band of precip is still taking it's time to get here though.

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)

Hey mate :drinks: Yeh i'm not too bad thanks, hoping for some snowww to lift my mood.

How's it going Andy? I'm stuck here in Germany, sadly it's 4c and bucketing it down with rain from the same front! Not only that but the cold air is moving S by about 50 miles per day so it will be Thursday/Friday before it turns to snow here. Sooooooo gutted!

Oh well. Going to the Alps on Saturday :drinks:

Anyway the real action should all begin in the next hour as things rapidly turn to heavy, drifting snow in the Midlands...

Posted

Blizzards, when you expecting it to his us here in Stourbridge, and how much yout thinking we could get?

It should be here within the next 1-2 Hours. Amounts are uncertain but much of the precip looks heavy to very heavy right now so if we get it then i expect a good 5-10cm. If we strike really lucky tonight and through tomorrow then we could accumulate between 10-20cm perhaps.

The fact that the precip will be very slow moving is what should help with accumulations.

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

Looking good for us now, I just hope it stalls over us, It's not slowing it's northwards progression alot.

Posted

Its getting darker here now. Should be fun! :drinks:

Posted

Most of it is rain or sleet here, so you need to hope that the temps don't rise too much or you won't be seeing snow.

But, the cold air is coming from the north, so unlikely to have made it down to you yet (although to be fair, I don't think it was forecast too).

Hence, the major risk is further noth.

I hope I'm wrong, but I've run the NW radar on 2 hour animated loop for the midlands, and for us north of Brum, I dont think the heavy precip will ever make it up here...sorry for the 'downer' post

PPN intensity is something hard to predict, and you may be right (haven't had much of a look myself at the forecast of intensity).

However, the danger is coming when the front starts to stall, and stays in certain areas for a long period of time.

Only last week, we got up to about 1cm of snow in around 30 minutes, following on from about an hours of heavy rain.

Anyway, about an hour and a half's light to moderate rain this morning/afternoon, a la warm front. However, after this passed, some of the light showers were wintry in nature (i.e. sleet), so a promising start.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

How's it going Andy? I'm stuck here in Germany, sadly it's 4c and bucketing it down with rain from the same front! Not only that but the cold air is moving S by about 50 miles per day so it will be Thursday/Friday before it turns to snow here. Sooooooo gutted!

Oh well. Going to the Alps on Saturday :drinks:

Anyway the real action should all begin in the next hour as things rapidly turn to heavy, drifting snow in the Midlands...

Not bad thanks :) Arrghhh thats gutting! Going to the alps though... Lucky begger :D

I'm not too sure whether it's going to be snow or not, dew points around the Midlands look dangerous at 1-2c and ground temps between 3-4c :drinks:

Edited by andy_leics22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Its getting darker here now. Should be fun! smile.gif

do think the snow will go far north as stoke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Warming up now, 2.2c and DP 0.2c, why is this?!

Posted

Not bad thanks :) Arrghhh thats gutting! Going to the alps though... Lucky begger :drinks:

I'm not too sure whether it's going to be snow or not, dew points around the Midlands look dangerous at 1-2c and ground temps between 3-4c :drinks:

I'll let you know as soon as it hit us, but the metos warning go quite a long way north so I think you should do well out of this :D

Posted

Not bad thanks :) Arrghhh thats gutting! Going to the alps though... Lucky begger :D

I'm not too sure whether it's going to be snow or not, dew points around the Midlands look dangerous at 1-2c and ground temps between 3-4c :lol:

This is not directed at Andy but for the 1000th time can people p lease state their location in their posts. You cannot see avatar details on the iPhone. in se Leicester at mums hoping the ukmo flash warning comes true!