Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Those who have a wet ground from earlier may see snow struggle to settle. Thankfully we missed all that rain earlier so should we start off with snow then it should settle well.

Posted

If it reaches as far North as Leicester it is going to stall over us and if it is snow we will get JACKPOT. There is no way this is going further North than Manchester.

Andy Due's should come down as they have in the South when the band moves in.

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)

Not bad thanks :) Arrghhh thats gutting! Going to the alps though... Lucky begger :D

I'm not too sure whether it's going to be snow or not, dew points around the Midlands look dangerous at 1-2c and ground temps between 3-4c :lol:

Lol I can't really complain I suppose after the extreme (even deadly!) cold of the last spell.

Tbh though the DPs are 1-2 virtually everywhere in the Midlands - OK it's odd but if the Met Office have put out warnings for Leicestershire then you must have at least a reasonable chance. Of course higher ground will be most favoured, so that includes most of the West Midlands which will probably end up being best off in this setup along with the hills.

May it snow upon you all :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

This is not directed at Andy but for the 1000th time can people p lease state their location in their posts. You cannot see avatar details on the iPhone. in se Leicester at mums hoping the ukmo flash warning comes true!

Well put it this way... If you get some then I will and vice versa. Oadby is not far from me at all, well at least the PPN will arrive after it gets dark so we can lamp post watch and see what it falls as :lol:

Posted

Well put it this way... If you get some then I will and vice versa. Oadby is not far from me at all, well at least the PPN will arrive after it gets dark so we can lamp post watch and see what it falls as :lol:

At least we have already had a bit Andy in

London, hope for both our sakes we get some tonight. Blizzards in Cardiff I hear!

Posted

I feel for the Midlands, it will be a rain gradually turning too snow event so don't be too disappointed if it starts as rain!

Obviously the higher up you are the better but i think patience is the key word to use here.

Posted

Here in Leighton Buzzard in Beds, we have periods of rain to sleet and back to rain, etc. Some big wet flakes mixed in as well an hour ago. The PPN has eased off in the last while and is just rain now.

Posted

I suppose now that the nightime is coming, it will further aid the rain in turning to snow. Was hoping for a daytime fall, but you can't have your cake and eat it :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

You'll be pleased to hear my temp is dropping.

BUT

my dew point is rising!

LOL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW!

I've got a temp of +2.8 and dewpoint of +0.5. Needs to drop just a bit here before it'll be snow I reckon - it feels bitter in that wind though. Mind you, haven't had a drop of rain all day here, fair bit all around us but nothing at all here, very strange! Hope that doesn't happen with the second front.

Posted

Look on the welsh thread page 6, very hit/miss, 1 with none, another with 4in

Yep thats the key point, local elevations, also the precip strength is going to be very key and important to where gets what. Some places may only get some sleety stuff, others will see snow but it won't settle, etc!

So will be very interesting to see how this evolves, it does seem to be evolving into the mess that most were expecting, of course as the front keeps inching northwards the more and more chances that snow throughout occurs but we shall see...either way because we don't have a strong cold pool at the surface away from Scotland thats making this event a little less classic then it could have been...

Posted

Here in West Halesowen it's...

Air Temp: 2.6C

Dew point: 0.5C

Not much change from a few hours ago but they've both risen a fraction.

Still, it's cold enough for it to dive down once it all kicks off.

Posted

last few hours its been rain come sleet, even definate wet snow, a true wintry mixture. Just taken my daughter to the bus station and on the way back i drove onto the tops, its all snow falling there, bodes well for the evening as the cold air interacts more, hopefully the ppn should be in place (thats if the met office ) warnings are to be belived.

GFS precip charts over the last few days seem to be correct, looks like more ppn getting further North.

:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Still light drizzle in Gloucester - cant see where the 10 - 15cm Shafali (sp?) was on about last night is going to come from??

Still I expected nothing and thats exactly what we are getting :)

The temp has dropped a whole 0.4C to 2.4C, heavy rain with the odd flake of snow in it....I cant see us getting even 1cm of snow let alone anything near to the original forecast amount :drunk:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

I've got a temp of +2.8 and dewpoint of +0.5. Needs to drop just a bit here before it'll be snow I reckon - it feels bitter in that wind though. Mind you, haven't had a drop of rain all day here, fair bit all around us but nothing at all here, very strange! Hope that doesn't happen with the second front.

is the next front on cold front have you had any snow yet

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

Snow is generally more heavy here now, but no big flakes (yet) as some in the South-West and Wales forums have reported. Still not heavy enough to settle yet though. Hopefully the best is yet to come because, if there isn't much snow here at this altitude, I fear that those nearer Birmingham might not get what they're expecting.

If the progress of this is going to stall, as many are saying, I guess the crucial thing is how far it gets before that happens.

Edited by Snowmoon

Posted

Good afternoon all :)

It's just started to rain here, quite lightly at the moment. Looks a bit sleet-like.

2.8 here and dewpoint of 1.5.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW!

is the next front on cold front have you had any snow yet

It's quite weird - I've put the radar on animation for the past two hours and the precipitation never gets any closer, the line is about 10 miles south of me and it all fizzles out, then it reappears about 20 miles north - a true snow shield stretching from Lichfield to Leicester. Here's our 4 hour accumulation radar - nothing for us at all.

This had better change later - I'm going to be so annoyed if it does the same thing tonight.

post-5563-12620999368813_thumb.jpg

Posted

Snowing steadily in Buxton,Derbyshire temp at my house currently 0.8c and fallin...

Light rain here, we are about 8 miles from Buxton. My house is at a fair elevation and I can see chinley churn from my living room, no snow seems to be falling there. Buxton is always colder so I can't say I'm surprised that you have snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Light rain here at the moment but its only just started and its to be expected at very light!