Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

Thank you SnowKing

Posted

beasty line of snow heading for gloucestershire and bristol area cmon it looks yummy for a cm from that maybe more.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

I await with great trepidation my first snowflake of the winter! Seriously if I don't see one in the next 24 hours I will be packing my bags and heading off to the Urals!

We have had light snow here in Bridport mate!

Posted

beasty line of snow heading for gloucestershire and bristol area cmon it looks yummy for a cm from that maybe more.

moving extremely slow and intensifying

post-3696-12626807384725.txt

Posted

Morning people.

Have we ever such a massive turn around in the last 24 hours!! Been listening to radio Bristol, they are panicking....hope they dont get it wrong.

Posted

We have had light snow here in Bridport mate!

Thats good to hear, don't think it's going to be long, keep your eyes open :good:

Temp -2.2c from -10.2 during the night.

Posted

moving extremely slow and intensifying

Yep ive very much got my eye on that!

Looks about an hour away from us, and is perhaps the heavier stuff that the NAE and the BBC graphics have falling over us for most the ay (i assume it will get re-enforced by the bristol channel)

The biggest worry was it making them over the welsh hills, which it appears to have done...i'd imagine there may be further intensification as it heads towards us too from the cotswolds with a bit of orographic lift

Still some small flakes falling here ahead of it

SK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Its going to be a potential exciting and interesting 24-36hrs coming up for our region for a change :)

Im looking Northwards at the moment and hopefully that band of showers headed this way can give us a nice base covering before the main course. Temps have risen from their low of -5.6C around 7pm last night up to -0.5C currently as the cloud has moved in, lucky Ians forcast showed temp in Glos at 1C for today or I might haved started to over worry. Time now to sit back hopefully enjoy and keep an eye on the window / radar :cold:

Posted

dam it they are giving us rain/sleet here, front page also going with rain, BBC going with rain/sleet.. mind you at the moment it says current.. (rain) but its still snowing here. They must think temps are going to shoot up during the day. any thoughts on this??

kaz x

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

:whistling::shok::shok:

If that comes off I will be having a day off work tomorrow.

Posted

Something i've just come across from Ian (including a chart from Met Office chief forecaster)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/weather/ianfergusson/

SK

wow thanks for that :). plus snow will settle straight away .. hate it when few hours of snow wasted on not sticking . :shok::shok:

:whistling::shok::shok:

and thats ian :shok::shok: love it.

Posted

Awaiting the main event with interest, but currently still very cold in SE Somerset. Temp -4.6 C, DP -5.3 C, having been down to -9.5/-10.4 C overnight. Currently temp rise has stalled, and is momentarily dropping again (from a high of -4.4 C).

Posted

wow thanks for that :shok:. plus snow will settle straight away .. hate it when few hours of snow wasted on not sticking . :shok::shok:

and thats ian :whistling::shok: love it.

he is a very accurate forecaster over the last 3 weeks.....to my knowledge he was the FIRST person to mention wrap around...He only get's 5 mins on a forecast tv...so on here we are lucky...

with SK image I would take very likely to be the outcome

Edited by dogs32

Posted

dam it they are giving us rain/sleet here, front page also going with rain, BBC going with rain/sleet.. mind you at the moment it says current.. (rain) but its still snowing here. They must think temps are going to shoot up during the day. any thoughts on this??

kaz x

Morning Kaz,

Unfortunately as the LP develops in the south you get a pull of slightly moister, humid air....what this means is the dew points become very marginal for you as the day moves on.

GFS has a habit of over-egging the dew points, but this will be why you see such forecasts

Kind Regards

SK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Wheres my snow?!

Darnit. Overcast with some dark clouds

Got down to -9.7C last night! Only -1.4C now with DP -2.6C

What did the latest GFS/NAE do? further West or back East?

Posted

i think its deepened more than modeled too sk (looking at xcweather), so id imagine the next nae will show slightly higher ppn, but a more noticeable mild sector - i could easily be wrong though

Posted

he is a very accurate forecaster over the last 3 weeks.....to my knowledge he was the FIRST person to mention wrap around...He only get's 5 mins on a forecast tv...so on here we are lucky...

yes i agree :).. got to feel for mullender missing it.

Posted

Its also going to take a good deal longer for the snow across wales to get to us now, but once its here i dont think its going to stop until the early hours....might get down to town soon and pick up a few bits before it sets in

SK

Posted

Morning Kaz,

Unfortunately as the LP develops in the south you get a pull of slightly moister, humid air....what this means is the dew points become very marginal for you as the day moves on.

GFS has a habit of over-egging the dew points, but this will be why you see such forecasts

Kind Regards

SK

hi ya SK thats a shame its snowing again now so will be sad to see it vanish so quickly oh well will make the most of it now before it goes.

thanks

kaz x

Posted

i think its deepened more than modeled too sk (looking at xcweather), so id imagine the next nae will show slightly higher ppn, but a more noticeable mild sector - i could easily be wrong though

just read my mind Sam,i RECKON this is deepening further...If thats the case what depth's are we to expect :) ...as it pivots or stall's before shooting off again

lol...SK...Im packed and ready to hit the snow blizzards :)

Edited by dogs32

Posted

hi ya SK thats a shame its snowing again now so will be sad to see it vanish so quickly oh well will make the most of it now before it goes.

thanks

kaz x

Well hopefully the NWP models are simply overshooting the dew points, good luck in any case!

And yes anvilhead certainly looking more intense than initially modelled, and starting to grind to a halt

As Ian said yesterday, regional variation will be a nightmare

Looks to me as though the valley up through the bristol channel into cheltenham and gloucester could see some pretty high totals with some re-inforcement from the bristol channel

SK

Edited by snowking