Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Snowing here in Yate Bristol, had about a cm or two.. But the worst is still to come.

Posted

The fun and games are not forecasted until 6 or 7pm later today, between now and then is really just a filler that might or might not give a few people a bit of snow. If you are getting rain, drizzle, sleet now it does NOT mean you won't get snow later and lots of it.

I've just been sent home to manage things from work here as I have access to all the secure networks etc from home and see no real likelyhood that I will be at work again this week.

If you can work from home I would urge you to do that. If your in one of the worst effected areas Ring friends, family, old people make sure they have enough bread, milk etc for 4 days or so.

Personally I live on the Dorset/Wiltshire boarder and expect ALOT of snow.

Even the coastal areas of Dorset will likely get Snow along with the coastal areas of Hampshire.

Be Patient. !

Posted

Been raining in Broadstone but the met offices Red warning has definately woken me up - never ever had one of those that I remember. We shall see. I've brought work home with me for tomorrow 'just in case'.

Just seen the BBC forecast - big rain patches over Poole on the weather maps for tonight. Hey ho.....

Edited by Karen Ann

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

Sizzling Heat - good to hear that it's turning to snow! Hope it continues rolleyes.gif

Posted

hooooray its turning to snow now finally smile.gif

It started off as heavy rain here too but gradually turned to proper sleet with actual bigish flakes coming down so you may have an intresting next hour or so smile.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

The fun and games are not forecasted until 6 or 7pm later today, between now and then is really just a filler that might or might not give a few people a bit of snow. If you are getting rain, drizzle, sleet now it does NOT mean you won't get snow later and lots of it.

I've just been sent home to manage things from work here as I have access to all the secure networks etc from home and see no real likelyhood that I will be at work again this week.

If you can work from home I would urge you to do that. If your in one of the worst effected areas Ring friends, family, old people make sure they have enough bread, milk etc for 4 days or so.

Even the coastal areas of Dorset will likely get Snow along with the coastal areas of Hampshire.

Be Patient. !

Is it really going to be that bad, Its just unfathomable to think there could be that much snow. Is it really going to affect such a wide area?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Be Patient. !

Iceberg,

Whats your take on things for the extreme SW (Devon/Cornwall)? I know most places have seen some down here, some people quite alot, but are we going to see anything meaningful from this evening?

Posted

Asking the question again only because i wanna know where to look at on the radar. But is it the rain on the radar in the channel that will join in the show?

On the radar, the lump between Brest peninsular and Lyme Bay is the bit to watch. That's the developing low.

Posted

still heavy snow here...

Some people leaving work early due to the bad roads in places

I dont if anyone saw Richard Angwin forecast.BUT a worry for some

made sure my dad's OK...

check on old infirm folks..

i THINK AT PRESENT WILT/DOrSET ARE IN FOR T HE BIG ONE

Edited by dogs32

Posted

still heavy snow here...

Some people leaving work early due to the bad roads in places

I dont if anyone saw Richard Angwin forecast.BUT a worry for some

Explain please Dogs, i'm at work. And what's this developing low that's being talked about in SW Wales?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (of course) Storms, Sunshine, everything begging with 'S'

Been raining in Broadstone but the met offices Red warning has definately woken me up - never ever had one of those that I remember. We shall see. I've brought work home with me for tomorrow 'just in case'.

Just seen the BBC forecast - big rain patches over Poole on the weather maps for tonight. Hey ho.....

Hi Karen, I have been really excited up to about an hour ago when I too saw the BBC forecast. However, all is not lost. We have been in this position before and come out trumps ! Fingers crossed :yahoo:

Posted

University of Gloucestershire has shut about an hour ago, we've had about 5cms here and coming down fairly moderately still now after a brief lull

Very nervy times in the next few hours as we watch the radar to our south....hopefully we can see the heaviest stuff pushing as far north as southern worcestershire and herefordshire. Also, check out this link...

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/pws/invent/weathermap/

Thats the observed precipitation, going into the forecast precipitation by the NAE model

You can see what Ian means by the NAE really underestimating this one....watch the colours of the observed precip go from oranges and yellows to blues

I'd think 20cms could be a reasonable estimate for a large swathe of the eastern half of our region, with wiltshire possibly more than double that

SK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (of course) Storms, Sunshine, everything begging with 'S'

Just heard from a friend who is in Bournemouth town centre and it is heavily snowing and settling !

Posted

Explain please Dogs, i'm at work. And what's this developing low that's being talked about in SW Wales?

Sorry mate,

#Im hearing second hand, so need to be carefull what I say.

But the idea I got from someone was Richard was saying this is not a joking situation for some,

as things are going to get BAD..

He said this snow we have already had !!! even though Spectacular, was not going to be THE MAIN EVENT..

THATS TONIGHT..

REMEMBER THESE ARE NOT his exact word's.......BUT the GIST of what I have been told second hand..

so pls...check this INFO out

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Iceberg,

Whats your take on things for the extreme SW (Devon/Cornwall)? I know most places have seen some down here, some people quite alot, but are we going to see anything meaningful from this evening?

Pretty poor it has to be said, sorry I don't think you see sight of the secondary feature and end up with just a few showers which might be heavy if your lucky enough to get one.

I have just seen the NAE 12Z(in the last 5 mins) and tbh it's a big down grade for snow totals in the south, I would be interested on hearing Ian's thoughts on this.

Essentially the wrap around goes approx 50 miles eastwards and then up to the north of the M4. Leaving Devon, Somerset and Dorset and Avon with precious little snow in comparision (still 4 or 5 cms maybe 2cms by the coast).

Very much a nowcast scenario though.

Posted

just heavy rain in christchurch atm wallbash.gif

Eyes to the skies :)

Posted

Took over an hour to get home from Chelt to Glos. Reminds me of that Thundersnow event we had a few years back. Snowing again in Gloucester. Reckon the snow tonight will miss us but the roads will be a mare in the morning.

Careful out there!

Posted

B.B..like I say didnt see the chart.

sorry mate

I think the gist was Wilt/Dorset??/...serious situ...very bad

BUT GLOS Surrounding areas

Edited by dogs32