Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion XXXIV

Posted

Right. This really is taking the "P" now. Look at that dry slot. wallbash.gif

Yep heaviest part of the band looks like heading towards E.London, about 50-50 for my location, anywhere further east and your once again going to cop the dry slot!

I don't think I've ever been so unhappy on this forum, esp for you guys a little more to the east...haha a little change in a phrase sums up my thoughts for S.Essex over the last 24hrs:

never has so little been delievered by something which promised so much!

Posted

Right. This really is taking the "P" now. Look at that dry slot. :cold:

I feel your pain :nonono:

Light snow just started to fall in Rochford, Essex, still 2 cms hanging around on the grass, driveway etc

Bugger all here in Wakering :cold:

Posted

absolutely thumping down here in warren street

perhaps i should leave home to get to work (whitehall) a bit earlier than 5 then. reckon London will grind to a halt if it gets heavy in the next hour. a good few thousands of people will be making their way to the stations soon

Posted

Interesting that in the far se the flow is se to east and further north more ne, perhaps we might see an intensification of the precip as we see a convergence type zone set up especially in the Thames estuary, what do you think KW?

Nick, anything that improves this crap situation is most welcome, believe me! :cold:

Edited by LeighShrimper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

At least one of us is seeing some flakes.

EDIT: Just saw one zoom past the window wallbash.gif

did you catch on camera?, haha. Ive driven down Westcliff/ Southend/ Thorpe Bay areas this morning and there is defiently a little more out my way nearer Stambridge I must admit, 1 - 2cm more, lol, but its more. This lighter snow is getting a little heavier dare I say it

Posted

my daughter is supposed to be at C. Wharf on a school trip today. is the transport OK there?

Hi MAF,

Should be no problems on the transport network at present in Central London. All roads pavements gritted well here.

Should be fine...keep checking local radio etc though?

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Interesting that in the far se the flow is se to east and further north more ne, perhaps we might see an intensification of the precip as we see a convergence type zone set up especially in the Thames estuary, what do you think KW?

There has already been a convergence zone in the north sea throughout the day , you can see the development with the wind directions clashing.

Posted

Well as for Sat/sun stil lbig model uncertainty, the GFS is less keen then the UKMO/ECM but something to watch...

However I'm not at all happy with the set-up progged, looks to me like a light snowfall presistant snowfall set-up, which won't be good enough for coastal locations because the system that brings up the possible precip is a front that has some milder air embedded above it...should be good inland though IF it makes it!

Nick, yeah exactly but I feel really bad and unhappy for everyone else, esp the guys to my east who got far less then even me, it relaly has been a horrid spell of weather given everywhere else north, west and eventually south after this band slows right down...

As you say plenty more snow events to come but none really stand out for S.Essex, esp more western parts of the county which never ever do well from NE airflows.

Surely before or after that band of ppn gets on the shores of southern England we will see showery activity on the windward coastal regions? - why is nothing becoming straight forward in regards to set-ups, where has this milder embedded air come from?

Sorry about the Spanish inquisition but just when you think you might have some synoptics that will suit your location then yet another problem crops up!

Posted

Hi all - just to report we only have 3-5cm in Raynes Park, SW London. It's a case of so close...yet so far.

It's been snowing (lightly) all day - not really adding to the snow cover but at least preveting a thaw.

Looking forward to that band just to the north of London

Congrats to all folks who got 15cm+!

Raynes Park, SW20

Yes, pretty much the same a few miles down the road in Surbiton - non-stop small flakes for 3 hours now, but not settling much still; as you say at least it's holding off the thaw. Keep hoping that stuff to the north-east might make it this way to prolong things.

Posted

did you catch on camera?, haha. Ive driven down Westcliff/ Southend/ Thorpe Bay areas this morning and there is defiently a little more out my way nearer Stambridge I must admit, 1 - 2cm more, lol, but its more. This lighter snow is getting a little heavier dare I say it

Lol. Typical.

Well, well we have about m&m sized flakes coming down now. How exciting.

EDIT: Make that Tic-Tac size. That's more like it!

I give up. :cold:

Edited by LeighShrimper

Posted

Piccies from Bodiam / Staplecross, East Sussex

post-11069-12627864112652_thumb.jpg

Posted

I have a 30 foot bushy tree in my neighbors back yard which is now looking like a ten foot spider. Looks like avalanches coming of some roofs, ambulance siring going by!

To all those so called rampers........ well done you called it right, not everyone will see the worst but some will and we certainly have here.

If we get some intense stuff later i really think this area will be in a bad way. At least the army's local!

Edited by mesocyclone

Posted

Its quite possible it will help to further pep it up over later though IMO this will only really happen when the band is south of the Thames, its probably a big reason why the band has strengthened up at all, you can see the way the trough has come down and the front to the south has held firm...its actually led to a good few hours of V.light snowfall here, not the type that will settle but it keeps the temps just that little bit lower.

I fully expect winds will swing round to a better flow for the coasts in the next hour or two, once that happens temps should drop away and the snow that is present will ice.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Just back from picking my son up from school which closed early. Was nice seeing snow settle on some of the ice that's formed between the Old Mill and the River Lea.

Has commenced snowing again here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

Lol. Typical.

Well, well we have about m&m sized flakes coming down now. How exciting.

I would say Im up to Rowntrees Fruit pastle size flakes now, slightly bigger then the m& ms in Leigh

Posted

I have a 30 foot bushy tree in my neighbors back yard which is now looking like a ten foot spider. Looks like avalanches coming of some roofs, ambulance siring going by!

To all those so called rampers........ well done you called it right, not everyone will see the worst but some will and we certainly have here.

If we get some intense stuff later i really think this area will be in a bad way. At least the army's local!

If anything the band proved even more stubborn to move away from your area then I thought, turns out my 9-10 inches total was probably a little low side!

Whats the roads like round that way, I'm guessing a total mess...looks like I'll be walking to my Gfs from the station tomorrow given the amounts involved, that'll be fun!

Posted

Nice my favourites! - anything on the radar which shows you might be in for a dumping (probably not as we are both in a snow free zone).

Lol.

If that lot in the N.Sea around F'Stowe/Harwich, keeps it track then we should get a decent amount soon. Perhaps Giant Button sized flakes!

Edited by LeighShrimper

Posted

message for Paul.S

Was report's of a Small tornado somewhere,

sorry that's all I know at present.

This might be old new's now :cold: you might already know