Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion XXXIV

Posted
  • Location: Bishop's Stortford in England and Klingenmünster in Germany
  • Location: Bishop's Stortford in England and Klingenmünster in Germany

INCOMING... take cover :rofl:

Just arrived in Stortford - not intense yet, but the band looks to have a more intense core - expect around an hours snow and 3 cm from it - maybe.

Posted

Think East London will cop a few centmetres later from this band travelling South.

Been snowing/sleeting lightly all morning.

Posted

Lighter snow has got heavier here now, seems we are just at the edge of the band or some pre-front showers.

It seems like there is actually more snow then the band shows. For example bedfored got an hour worth resulting in 2inches.

Posted

It started snowing last night at about 8pm, and was still snowing this morning at about 9. It has just started snowing quite heavily again.... We were told at 10am that my workplace was not going to open today... YAY SNOW DAY!!!!!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

:rofl: :lol: :(:rofl: :lol: :(

Posted
  • Location: Shortlands, Nr Bromley, Kent (could be Greater London, never quite sure!)
  • Location: Shortlands, Nr Bromley, Kent (could be Greater London, never quite sure!)

Been snowing lightly here non-stop since daybreak, though not really adding much to the 7cm I've got now.

The front stretching from Gloucestershire east to Suffolk seems to be organising and pepping up a bit as it heads south. Looks like it will snow well into the evening for parts of the SE, probably clearing in earlier hours.

Then more snow brewing for E Anglia and the SE coming in with a shallow low moving SW off the N Sea, here's 06z NAE with the low tomorrow PM:

post-1052-12627842144052_thumb.gifpost-1052-12627842221852_thumb.gif

Indeed - the NMM seems to think that will be pretty intense around SE London at about lunchtime tomorrow.

DS

Whoops - NMM not NNM... Acronyms, who'd have 'em...

Edited by desperately seeking

Posted

Saying that for my area I expect a total accumulation of--- 0cm!

Thats because there is nlittle chance its going to settle given the temps and dew points at the moment, we are back to snow thankfully which is a step in the right direction but I'm not expecting anything to settle unless we manage to get lucky and catch a stronger part of the band...and knowing the terrible luck in 24hrs, theres no chance of that!

id say pack your bags and head to guildford now mate!! because the moment you arrive you will prob get sod all!! but back at home their getting 10cm.. :drinks:

Posted

Light/Moderate snow here in the NW of the central blow torch zone, we do have a thin covering I suppose you could say maybe a cm, still a bit slushy. . .

. . . will need to get a lot heavier to have any impact in C London imo though . . . especially since the damn gritters have been annoyingly efficient here :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Hi people, I'm under the ppn at the mo in Ipswich, every time it dies down, it seems to be pep up even more and come down heavier. Deffo intensifying as it moves SW, looks like some ppn in N Sea heading down too, may catch up with it. Interesting times ahead..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

luvly chunky snow falling now here in Welwyn...:drinks:

prob the last for today tho, looking at radar

Posted

id say pack your bags and head to guildford now mate!! because the moment you arrive you will prob get sod all!! but back at home their getting 10cm.. drinks.gif

I'm not too fussed about whether it snows or not, just want to see a decent depth of snow thats all, will be interesting to see what state the SW of London is in when I go through there tomorrow AM, I'd imagine the journey down there for once could be quite magical!

Anyway curse of the dry slot continues, some parts of far east Essex/Suffolk only have seen 0.25mm on the radar accumulation in the last 2hrs, thats barely enough for a dusting!

Posted

Doesnt look like hanging around this lot. Probably an hour of snow for most, then that looks it for today. Good riddance I say. Sky's clear, nice low temps and try again tomorrow.

Posted

Saying that for my area I expect a total accumulation of--- 0cm!

Thats because there is nlittle chance its going to settle given the temps and dew points at the moment, we are back to snow thankfully which is a step in the right direction but I'm not expecting anything to settle unless we manage to get lucky and catch a stronger part of the band...and knowing the terrible luck in 24hrs, theres no chance of that!

Is it possible for one of the hosting team to actually ban themselves? :drinks: Good grief KW shouldn't you be setting a good example to newer members to not turn this thread into a branch of the Samaritans, i'll soon be sending an emergency team round to you to whisk you off to Haslemere in Surrey so that you can play in all that snow and cheer up!

Posted

Light/Moderate snow here in the NW of the central blow torch zone, we do have a thin covering I suppose you could say maybe a cm, still a bit slushy. . .

. . . will need to get a lot heavier to have any impact in C London imo though . . . especially since the damn gritters have been annoyingly efficient here :drinks:

Light snow trending moderate again now in Ealing. Heaviest it has been all day. That all said, regardless of the intensity it has in fact been snowing all day long.

Posted

I'm not too fussed about whether it snows or not, just want to see a decent depth of snow thats all, will be interesting to see what state the SW of London is in when I go through there tomorrow AM, I'd imagine the journey down there for once could be quite magical!

Anyway curse of the dry slot continues, some parts of far east Essex/Suffolk only have seen 0.25mm on the radar accumulation in the last 2hrs, thats barely enough for a dusting!

Yep. This is ridiculous. Sooner this band f's off the better. Hopefully some clear skies, low temps and a better shot tomorrow lunch-time. He says whilst looking to the snow gods.

Posted

. . . will need to get a lot heavier to have any impact in C London imo though . . . especially since the damn gritters have been annoyingly efficient here wallbash.gif

Yea they've even gritted the pavements in the City.

Posted

Yea they've even gritted the pavements in the City.

Bl**dy Boris. Rubbish mayor. Need a snow fan in charge! aggressive.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Is this new band heading for SW London?

Posted

. . . will need to get a lot heavier to have any impact in C London imo though . . . especially since the damn gritters have been annoyingly efficient here wallbash.gif

For all their problems with getting supplies of grit occasionally, you'd have thought that if a spell is forecast to councils in good time, as this has been, then the chances of having deep snow in the main strategic routes in C London would be fairly low even in a good snow outbreak, simply because the dispersal and amount of grit available now must be much greater than the 60s and 70s (faster lorries, able to carry more, better autmatic spraying, use of computers to determine fastest routes for covering large areas of map etc.). The side-streets, however, would be a different matter...

Posted

Kold - to clarify; here in SW London (as in the London boroughs), you're currently looking at anywhere between 3-8cms. However, south and west OF London (such as Guildford), much deeper. Currently.

Posted

There's at least 5 meters of snow here in Aylesbury. Cats are having problems in the garden, can't see out of the downstairs windows.

I think the cats would be the least of those having problems if there was 15 feet of snow.....:drinks:

Did you mean inches?