Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

just started to snow in leighton buzzard ,i think its rather much hit and miss tonight

Current data for Linslade

07 January 2010 16:57:09

Temperature (°C):

Current -2.1

Trend (per hour) -0.5

Average today -3.7

Wind chill -2.1

Humidex -5.2

Dew Point -4.6

Rel Humidity 83%

Wind (mph):

Current Gust 9.2 NW

Average Speed 1.6 NW

Pressure (mb):

Current 1012.4

Trend (per hour) +0.5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Steve Western just said on Radio Suffolk that a convergence line will form somewhere east of the A12 tomorrow, and some places could see "hefty falls"

Posted

Good for snow for me, had about 4 snow showers today, 3 of them heavy and prologned. Have a nice 7 or 8cm covering now. Looking forward to Sunday!

Met quote:

Bitterly cold and strong easterly winds bringing further significant snowfall, especially during Sunday and early Monday. Lying snow is likely to drift in the strong winds.
Edited by Snowman0697

Posted

I am hoping they dont go west of you as I am east of you!!

Janet

They are dying quite quickly again, though - not as quickly as earlier, but I don't think they will make inroads that far

Posted

No reference to then a band of heavy snow for all South of Brum.

Sky forecast must of changed then because earlier the Sunday snowfall was as far N as the Lincs based on the graphics.

Posted

just started to snow in leighton buzzard ,i think its rather much hit and miss tonight

Cheers for the heads up Simon, I had just about given up on tonight. Even a small flurry is enough to keep me happy :drinks:

Posted

Just a quick one. Where in N/W London has got the best snow for sledging? I was very impressed with Hanger Hill Park. Anyone know what Parliament Hill is like at the moment? Thinking of dragging some snow starved Brixton friends up there Friday night.

Posted

Cheers for the heads up Simon, I had just about given up on tonight. Even a small flurry is enough to keep me happy :drinks:

yeap ,its not a lot but as you say ,its more .hope to see it all getting more exciting around the end of the weekend so im lead to believe on here but i might be wrong

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

What sort of snow amounts are we likely to get over the weekend and when ??

We currently have 6'' of snow are schools likely to be closed in my area at the begining of next week??unknw.gif

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

You do know that streamers can form VERY quickly ? as they did in 2004 and the other night

Posted

Good for snow for me, had about 4 snow showers today, 3 of them heavy and prologned. Have a nice 7 or 8cm covering now. Looking forward to Sunday!

Met quote:

Glad you got your snow Snownman :drinks:

Posted
  • Location: near Charing ( Mid Kent between Ashford & Maidstone )
  • Location: near Charing ( Mid Kent between Ashford & Maidstone )

Light snow here in mid-kent just starting up.....

V dark clouds late afternoon but v little falling from sky - soon as it got dark, the snow ( albeit light ) started

still hopeful of some heavier bursts this evening to add to our 13cm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Don't take this as a moan, but frankly I got more snow from the Cheshire Gap streamer (from the other side of the country) last week and the snow on the 17th December than this so-called more e'ly set up.

You'd think being right in the center of EA (and the highest point in Suffolk, 110m asl) we'd get lucky at some point, but so far, not a lot, still only about 2 cm on the ground although to be fair, it's certainly sticking around.

Perhaps the w/e might deliver but I'm beginning to have my doubts — I just want, just once, the sort of snow you can fall flat on your back in and make snow angels with, but we haven't really had that since 2005. :clap:

Edit: oops sorry wrong thread! Mods please move to EA thread

Edited by Iceni

Posted

How much did you get Slinky?

Nothing thats stuck yet, have had a couple of light showers through the day but didnt settle. Have another shower here but would think it will fizzle out before it can leave us a dusting. Still glad parts of this region have seen good falls :clap:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

NOWCAST : Wind has just turned n/neast

Good. Hope it veers just a bit more..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & Snowy, Hot & Sunny & Thunderstorms

Snowing in gravesend North West Kent

ERM?? Where exactly sod all here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

bullet_29.gif No Let-Up In Sight

Added : Thu 7 January : 15:08 BST

The bitterly cold spell of weather looks like it is here to stay for many days yet as high pressure now builds over Scandinavia, keeping all the Atlantic weather systems - that usually help us to stay mild - well at bay. We're expecting biting easterly winds to develop over the next few days, bringing more snow to some places and further severe frosts.

Temperatures are a talking point, with minimums across northern Britain quite likely to drop below -20C for some over the coming nights. The all time record is -27.2C at Braemar in Scotland, which was recorded on January 10th 1982, and it could be that some spots come close to this figure.

Snow and ice will bring further disruptive conditions, especially across eastern England where further snow showers will fall over the coming days, adding to existing cover. As the north-easterly winds freshen, some of these showers will make their way further inland too, but many northern and western areas will see dry and bright weather for much of the time.

The weekend is looking particularly severe, when strong east winds in the south will bring a significant wind chill factor, and it is worth bearing this in mind if you have to venture out. The winds will bring more snow too for the east, and perhaps some heavy and significant falls across much of the south later in the weekend.

looking good:)

Posted

Looking on the radar - looks like a bit more organised bunch is going to head right down the A12 as mentioned above.

That was in reference to tomorrow mate.

But yeah can see the same thing happening this eve.

I think a Thames streamer is unlikely now. The next few hours will reveal all. Maybe a streamer of sorts down the Suffolk/Essex coast and parts of Kent. Also the Wash area. we could end up with two streamers like last month. One through the Wash and one down the East coast into Kent in SW'ly direction...

Sky or BBC not even mentioning anything of note this evening. Flurries here and there according to them.

Wind progged to turn ENE by 9pm this eve. That will be the key time.

Edited by LeighShrimper