Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Latest BBC Forecast looks good for this region on Sat Night/Sunday. With winds more Easterly by then, snow should cover a good deal of the region

Hope you're right.cool.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

You lucky so and so!!!!! Not even a flake here :pardon:

Thats just cruel...

Nor here… still barely 2 cm lying snow. I got more snow from the Cheshire Gap a few days ago than I'm getting from the N'Sea just 40 miles away.

As they say, the best comes completely unexpectedly and from the most unlikely direction. That's snowbiz.

Posted

Well diddly squat arrived here. First batch of showers too far east. Second batch of showers died out before reaching here. Next lot of showers likely to be too far west.

Pants! Pants!

:pardon::crazy:

Posted

So the south east they reckon it's going to be even colder then last night yet they showed higher absolute minimum temperatures! Bensons already down to -3.6c but we all know how fast it drops there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I'm gonna stick my neck out and make a bold prediction here... I think that by mid week next week things will be slowly warming up. Yes...a premature end to the cold spell is what I'm predicting for the area. I have this feeling that, in spite of what the models are saying, the cold is not going to get a vice like grip on us and will be more susceptible to a renewed onslaught from the Atlantic than perhaps the models are suggesting.

I expect to see the models get in agreement with this over the weekend. But after mid next week that will be that as far as the type of winter we've been enjoying goes, though there may well be the odd marginal event stretching into March.

Not what I want, but what I feel is happening.

I've got this sort of feeling too, although I feel the cold might re-establish itself after a short interval.

Posted

Only just noticed this update for EA!!

Been there a while though!!

Do you reckon that is in regard to the showers now pushing in from the east?

Further snow showers will be heavy at times giving accumulations of 2 to 5 cm and possibly up to 10 cm in places.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the Highways Agency for further advice regarding traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 1433 Thu 7 Jan

Posted

Nor here… still barely 2 cm lying snow. I got more snow from the Cheshire Gap a few days ago than I'm getting from the N'Sea just 40 miles away.

As they say, the best comes completely unexpectedly and from the most unlikely direction. That's snowbiz.

Thats 2cm more then here :pardon:

Still your right, as is Dave, there is still a chance I might see some snow and your location too.....

my weather station has the wind NNW

Edited by Slinky

Posted

it started and it almost stops as soon as :pardon:

Current data for Linslade

07 January 2010 17:41:04

Temperature (°C):

Current -1.8

Trend (per hour) -0.4

Average today -3.7

Wind chill -1.8

Humidex -4.9

Dew Point -4.1

Rel Humidity 84%

Wind (mph):

Current Gust 6.9 N

Average Speed 0.7 NNW

Pressure (mb):

Current 1012.9

Trend (per hour) +0.6

Guest archiesmummy

must have just had a slight dusting here whilst postman pat was on...bin lids covered in little polystyrene (sp?!) type snow, talking mm's nothing too exciting...looking at other posts dont think any lampost watching toningt!!!!

1.0 temp -0.8 dew

Radars are drawing a blank on that gloom gathering over NKent/Essex.

Perhaps it's "Stealth" snow???

Invented by the Prime Minister :unsure:

Posted

So it appears the radar doesn't show up snow showers that are fine/dandruff-y? Even this when it's as cold as of late settles and mounts up so I still have hope :unsure:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything and everything

So are those showers heading in this direction, out to sea at the moment not going to make it here across SE Essex or amount to much? Just trying to pull together and make sense of the opinions of those in the know. :unsure:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Snowing more often than not here near Framlingham for the past 2 hours

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Don't take this as a moan, but frankly I got more snow from the Cheshire Gap streamer (from the other side of the country) last week and the snow on the 17th December than this so-called more e'ly set up.

You'd think being right in the center of EA (and the highest point in Suffolk, 110m asl) we'd get lucky at some point, but so far, not a lot, still only about 2 cm on the ground although to be fair, it's certainly sticking around.

Perhaps the w/e might deliver but I'm beginning to have my doubts — I just want, just once, the sort of snow you can fall flat on your back in and make snow angels with, but we haven't really had that since 2005. :unsure:

Edit: oops sorry wrong thread! Mods please move to EA thread

Apologies- I didn't get around to moving this until now!

The key in the recent spell is that although the source has often been easterly, the wind direction has mainly been northerly, which tends to favour Norfolk at the expense of Suffolk. Areas to the west of Norwich seem to have had rather more than Norwich itself and towards Lowestoft. Winds will veer easterly tomorrow, making Suffolk more favoured.

Currently snowing in Norwich despite nothing on the radar!

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

My eye is on the precipitation east of kent at the moment , but this low pressure is a really weak fart... Not sure what killed it off :unsure:

Posted

Cant find any straws to clutch for London zones 1-3 at all, we have to wait until tuesday to get a direct easterly feed and get the convection piling in up the estuary - but by that time the marginal air will be just creeping over us and with the urban afterburners fired up we'll probably get sleet/rain.

Pretty much a disaster for here, given that we'll probably have to wait another 50 years for these synoptics, 5cms is very forgetable in what should be memorable synoptics :unsure: