Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

I read a post on here saying the Midlands will miss Sundays snow. Well despite the Met O warnings the opposite is true based on the models I see.

The UKMO/GFS both indicate the snow for this region as does the latest Fax chart.

I can't post the links due to problems accessing the website. However trust me when I say the front is further N than indicated this morning.

Posted

Very light snow falling here now.

Just seen Mr Avery on BBC24...snow potential still for most of the Midlands, but looking like the main band not pushing too far in land, and the s/e of the UK getting much more of a pasting than originally thought. Time for this to change though, as it has done since this morning.

Posted

Snow starting to get lighter here in Nottingham - nice while it was there, I think Crimson Spirit has passed out. :)

Looking to the bands off the Lincolnshire coast now, in desperation more than hope as they are certain to break up at the Nottinghamshire border.

Posted

I read a post on here saying the Midlands will miss Sundays snow. Well despite the Met O warnings the opposite is true based on the models I see.

The UKMO/GFS both indicate the snow for this region as does the latest Fax chart.

I can't post the links due to problems accessing the website. However trust me when I say the front is further N than indicated this morning.

Actually viewing the UKMO 12z (have a look at weatheronline Dave), by midday on Sunday, the front is across the country, lets say, approximately Manchester to Hull.

Posted

Now the goverment are getting involved by cutting gritting for all counties by 25%

and reports that there is still no end to this cold spell for atleast another 10 days.

me thinks that with the forecast snow from satuday evening , sunday and also monday

anywhere south of nottingham will be have serious travel problems as the min amount of snow is

1 inch upto a possible 8 in of snow accumulating ontop of what people have already got.

this could be a very serious situation , i wouldnt be surprised if the army are not on standby

And were did you hear this ? Media ramping ?

:)

Edit: sorry i miss read your post , i think an inch is possible yes. But i doubt whether the army would get involved even if was bad. lol

.......Unless a lot of people got stranded in there cars ???

Edited by mildmuck

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

my max today -0.7C

min today -9.3C

Temp now -3.5C

hopefully yeah TEITS and metoffice still giving snow for W midlands, just dunno why advisory has gone

Posted

just started snowing in kingsthorpeacute.gif

Looks like the band might last for about 15 mins ish when looking at raintoday.co.uk, if I look at the pace it's moving at.

Though saying that the showers seem to be bunching together so we might have more :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Yay snow on the way soon!

Posted

Yay snow on the way soon!

Hooray! Always good news when you start chiming in! Where's the other Stourbridge lot?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Hooray! Always good news when you start chiming in! Where's the other Stourbridge lot?

Probably not expecting it. :lol: Should be here soon albeit rather light.

Posted

Here is how I see Sun/Mon panning out.

At first the extreme SE will see heavy snow as the flow is ENE,ly. However the flow veers E,ly and this will move the heavier snow across Norfolk, Midlands, Wales. Basically the longer fetch across the N Sea enhances the precip. This has been repeatedly shown on the GFS.

To be honest though the snowfall could last 24/36hrs so it doesn't really need to be heavy to bring heavy snowfall.

And were did you hear this ? Media ramping ?

smile.gif

francis wilson on sky has said it will last for atleast another 10 days

all news channels have reported that goverment ministers have held meeting today regarding concerns about the cold spell. with grit supplies running dangerously low , all councils have been instructed they must cut the amount used by 25%. some councils are mixing sand with grit.

if supplies run out and with areas set to get upto 20 cm of snow over weekend and monday , then surely a lot of places will become inaccessible.

which may require the army raf etc to assist , this is just my theory nothiing to back it up.

Posted

Here is how I see Sun/Mon panning out.

At first the extreme SE will see heavy snow as the flow is ENE,ly. However the flow veers E,ly and this will move the heavier snow across Norfolk, Midlands, Wales. Basically the longer fetch across the N Sea enhances the precip. This has been repeatedly shown on the GFS.

To be honest though the snowfall could last 24/36hrs so it doesn't really need to be heavy to bring heavy snowfall.

The GFS Precip Panels:

ukprec.png

ukprec.png

Posted

Im very surprised to see the Meto downgrading Sunday for here when it looks like we will be hit pretty much the same as the far south. It could come bac anyway which it should!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

francis wilson on sky has said it will last for atleast another 10 days

all news channels have reported that goverment ministers have held meeting today regarding concerns about the cold spell. with grit supplies running dangerously low , all councils have been instructed they must cut the amount used by 25%. some councils are mixing sand with grit.

if supplies run out and with areas set to get upto 20 cm of snow over weekend and monday , then surely a lot of places will become inaccessible.

which may require the army raf etc to assist , this is just my theory nothiing to back it up.

When we were cut off in our village (think it was 1991), we had a helicopter drop supplies. Not sure if that was the army or what though.

Posted
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)

Having a bit of snow here now, seems to be easily sticking too - as for the grit situation; we had an email sent around at work today to say that the carpark and road outside (which is a hill) won't be gritted from now on due to restrictions on the supply... that's me not able to get to work then as I won't get up that hill with snow on it!

Posted

Probably not expecting it. :D Should be here soon albeit rather light.

Well a bit of light stuff would make a nice end to a brilliant week. I'm wondering about the showers coming in at Skegness. Wonder if they might give us a flurry or two later on.

Lots of little interesting bits and pieces to be looking at.

Posted

Well a bit of light stuff would make a nice end to a brilliant week. I'm wondering about the showers coming in at Skegness. Wonder if they might give us a flurry or two later on.

Lots of little interesting bits and pieces to be looking at.

Been looking at those myself - thinking they'll probably die out before reaching Nottingham given past form, but we can hope, let's wait and see! :D

Snow still falling, sticking to the road, don't know if we've got another inch, maybe. Halfway to Crimson_Sprite's target! :D

Posted

Little feature developing in the north sea, may help to keep the showers pepped up enough to reach the midlands?

9thjan10.jpg