Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Can we report if the snow's sticking or not please

Very grey cloud here, has been all day but nothing yet

Trying to stick here at present in the heavier bursts, but still fighting a losing battle I'm afraid :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Why haven't the Met Office updated their advisories though? They are still yesterday's, other than the cancelled East Mids one. Temperature dropping but the snow is still thawing - and still falling from the sky quite heavily. If it settled we would have had another inch by now. Blades of grass starting to poke through the snow cover.

Posted

Come up to the Lickey Hills if you're missing the winter wonderland - no thaw here! Been light to moderate snow, on and off all morning, adding light extra covering including to trees. Latest temp -0.9C.

Posted

Why haven't the Met Office updated their advisories though? They are still yesterday's, other than the cancelled East Mids one. Temperature dropping but the snow is still thawing - and still falling from the sky quite heavily. If it settled we would have had another inch by now. Blades of grass starting to poke through the snow cover.

Could it be that any precip that pushes through the eastern mids will be marginal for snow and later on as dp and temp drop it will beef up and produce heavier snow for the rest ??? Dp and temp should now start dropping as the easterly winds increase.

EDIT... Snow now sticking to cars and on top of lieing snow acute.gif

Edited by jukebox

Posted

That's the way to look at it. This week has been awesome! Tuesday brought heavy snowfall and the following days brought very cold temps during the night, and sunshine and blue skies during the day with snow all around. And, we're still only in the early part of January, so there will be plenty more opportunities for cold and snowy weather.

In some ways I think we have been spoilt over these last few weeks. Heavy snow in December and January, with cold and frosty night inbetween. I think some people just expect it be cold and snowy. But we must remind outselves than we have a vast ocean to our west, and it isn't going to stay :whistling: forever. :D

Exactly, i have to keep reminding myself its the 10th of January...i keep wanting to post 'looking forward to an Easter like 2007' and then realising how early in the season we still are!

Its been a rollercoaster already though hasn't it? All those dissappointments around christmas...the Cheshire Gap showers that went the wrong way for us...the heavy snow that was mainly heavy rain. Mild sectors everywhere...even as late as Saturday last week! Quick dustings from fast moving troughs. Then of course the big one that finally did it last Tuesday. Not to mention all the frosts we've had since mid December, (yest my mind still recalls that solitary Autumn frost on November 30th/December 1st for some strange reason!). Last Monday mornings frost before the snow was spectacular without a snow cover obsuring the view of how frosty it was. And i am even finding today exciting...knowing that the situation could change dramtaically at short notice. Also having the radar playing up is adding excitement too.

Then there's all of that glorious sunshine...even on Boxing Day when it was milder the sunshine and following sunset was simply fantastic. The sunshine this week on the snow covered ground was beautiful. And i've not even mentioned the return of the much missed icicles!

Then there is still the week ahead. It might go horribly wrong but it could go wonderfully right. I kind of hope the radar plays up again so we'll either get a nice surpirse or will never know how close we were!

One small downside....its very likely i'm going to work tomorrow...but thats what keeps food in our bellies and a roof over our heads!

Posted

Could it be that any precip that pushes through the eastern mids will be marginal for snow and later on as dp and temp drop it will beef up and produce heavier snow for the rest ??? Dp and temp should now start dropping as the easterly winds increase.

EDIT... Snow now sticking to cars and on top of lieing snow acute.gif

I think you might be right, the west Mids is probably less marginal. I think it is starting to settle here now, trying its best anyway.

Posted

light sometimes moderate snow since 9am , recovered some gaps in roads , feels a lot warmer today, if this is the end of mamoth cold spell its happend very quick mellow.gifmad.gif

Posted

Not snowed in a while here now. Where is it then all this sticking snow? Who's holding it back from reaching Stourbridge?!

Gone quite gloomy though...November 2009 style gloomy.

Posted

I think you might be right, the west Mids is probably less marginal. I think it is starting to settle here now, trying its best anyway.

I't be less marginal if it actually got here.

Never seen it be so threateningly cloudy all day but nothing happening

Posted

It sa shame that we havent had a large snowfall out of this cold spell, but its still early in the winter, and things can change.

At the moment the snow that was ontop of greenhouse roofs for most of last week is slowly sliding off, the 1 inch of patchy snow that has been lying amongst the grass is thawing, ive had a few scattered snow showers, but theres a definite element of sleetyness in there, and its refusing to settle or to prevent the slow thaw.

One thing is for sure though, im getting a bit fed up of the media coverage and hype over this weather, ive just seen on the news something about diverting road grit/salt that was destined to go to Germany to the UK, which was probably the real deatth knell for the current cold spell.

So for this week im expecting a slow/ gradual thaw, although there are signs that things may turn colder again towards the end of the week/nextweekend and i asume with that comes the chance of snow ( if it makes it to this part of the world)

This week appeared to promise so much, but delivered very little.

Posted

I still think some of us will do ok from this later. Maybe not as much as was thought yesterday but still time for some pleasant surprises later. Does anyone know whats actually caused the situation to be so marginal today ? Warm sector, high 850,s etc ?????

Posted
  • Location: Alrewas - North Staffs(203ft ASL) 5 miles north of Lichfield
  • Location: Alrewas - North Staffs(203ft ASL) 5 miles north of Lichfield

Snowing in Alrewas - anything from now should fall as snow hopefully as temps currently dropping steadily

Posted

I can't see where anymore snow is going to come from. The Met Office warnings should have been taken down by now, must have forgot about them or something.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Warning out for the SW now. Waiting for the advisories to be updated.

"A band of heavy snow will move slowly northeast during Tuesday afternoon and the first part of Wednesday before dying out. Accumulations of 5 to 10cm are expected widely, with 10 to 20cm possible locally, and a low risk of up to 30cm over higher ground."

http://metoffice.com/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html

Must admit I'm not feeling at all optimistic about upcoming events. At best we will have wet snow on Tuesday here; more likely just heavy rain or the ppt. not reaching far enough NE. I was hoping the cold spell would go out with a bang... though I think if this easterly can't deliver with low uppers, the Atlantic certainly won't!

Posted

I can't see where anymore snow is going to come from. The Met Office warnings should have been taken down by now, must have forgot about them or something.

Yes but people are having light to moderate snow and nothing is showing on the radar! Also I believe that some down south are getting a pounding from the snow and again nothing on the radar! Radar,s no good better off just looking up and seeing whats falling good.gif

Posted

Yes but people are having light to moderate snow and nothing is showing on the radar! Also I believe that some down south are getting a pounding from the snow and again nothing on the radar! Radar,s no good better off just looking up and seeing whats falling good.gif

The snow is offering no accumulations and isn't in any way significant tbh.

Posted

Have had light snow here in Telford for about 45 mins now, has covered the drive with a fine dusting.

Posted

The snow is offering no accumulations and isn't in any way significant tbh.

Not at the moment its not but if it continues then later when temps drop it will stick more readily. Admittedly it probably wont amount to a massive amount but beggars cant be choosers and over the last few years we'd have given an arm or a leg for these conditions.whistling.gif

Posted

Coming down half decent now, still nothing in Shrewsbury?

I'm glad for you, what sort of covering???

Not a drop here all day. AGAIN. I've loved the cold but hated the lack of snow.

Shrewsbury has got down to -14 on one night, one of the coldest, we can do cold, but not major snow

Posted

Dew point is continuing to rise, I would expect it to start turning less wintry soon.

Posted

Bit of a thaw here, although not to much. Currently very light sleet/snow falling... :nea: