Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

HAHA, OMG, LOOK AT THIS MET OFFICE WARNING:

Winter has been cancelled

THE EARLY WARNING HAS BEEN CANCELLED. DISRUPTIVE SNOW ACCUMULATIONS ARE NOW LESS LIKELY.

Quite funny really.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

Not quite....

I can't decide whether it's snowing or sleeting here at the moment. Looks a bit queer anyway. unsure.gif

I was looking at Monday's advisories biggrin.gif

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Well i'm currently in a Heavy Shower here again ! although I have never ever seen this from the met office .

Heavy Snow Sun 10 Jan

THE EARLY WARNING HAS BEEN CANCELLED. DISRUPTIVE SNOW ACCUMULATIONS ARE NOW LESS LIKELY.

Ha Ha! Watch it come down this week now!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

It's a sleety mix here at the moment. Looks like it's now too warm to fall as snow except during heavier precip. Turning to snow though now as it does indeed get heavier.

Posted

HAHA, OMG, LOOK AT THIS MET OFFICE WARNING:

THAT IS FOR TODAY!

I have never, EVER seen that in my life.

Good that means we might get it - never does what they say whistling.gif

My dew point has just tipped postive though wallbash.gif but temperature has stopped increasing (2.2 deg)

Posted

Good that means we might get it - never does what they say whistling.gif

My dew point has just tipped postive though wallbash.gif but temperature has stopped increasing (2.2 deg)

Due points seem to be the main problem this morning. Hopefully they will drop as the day goes on, but knowing our luck by that time we will have lost all the precipitation .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

It's a sleety mix here at the moment. Looks like it's now too warm to fall as snow except during heavier precip. Turning to snow though now as it does indeed get heavier.

r u in South Nottingham? or SE? I have not a flake, and if anything is falling it must be rain cuz I cant see it from looking out the window... I live on the north side of city centre

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

The word non-event is banded about a lot these days, but folks, this is a real non-event. Not where it narrowly misses you but gives everyone else a pasting, this case is a real one. It hasn't even got close to our shores. The models and forecasters have got it horribly, horribly wrong.

Posted

Turning to rain here now as well. Its just so 2000's!:whistling:

Never mind, its only the 10th January and here in Stourbridge, its been a pretty good cold spell...

...and you never know, there might be a surpirse or two around the corner. Its weather and it'll do what it wants at the end of the day, no matter what any computer or person says.

Thank goodness for last Tuesday otherwise i might not be so upbeat about it all!

Posted

Due points seem to be the main problem this morning. Hopefully they will drop as the day goes on, but knowing our luck by that time we will have lost all the precipitation .

On a good note p I havent seen any rain - few flakes in the air good.gif

Posted

It says a lot about how much milder it is when you have loads of absolutely huge flakes and they still will not settle!

Posted

Seems like quite a disappointing day for many.

The showers coming from the south never materialised (guess the front never really had any decent ppn in?).

What is confusing watching the BBC forecast earlier, was the forecast for 'snow flurries' but 'blizzards later.

I think if the thaw hadn't started, it would have been less disappointing. But a thaw with the snow not materialising as forecast as late as last night, is perhaps the biggest down side.

The thing is, we've had various light flurries (although looking a little sleety at the moment), but with the ground wet/thaw on, its not going to settle unless it becomes more prolonged and heavier.

To top it off, all the (decent) showers coming from the East appear to be moving towards our North.

Just a comment on the warnings. Todays was updated today, so more up to date, but the warnings out for tomorrow are still existing from yesterday. So perhaps see these warnings come down as well...perhaps.

Edited by Shiny_Bottom_1

Posted

This must be the most female precipitation ever, it just can't make up it's mind! :whistling::cray::whistling: *Runs quickly*

Seriously, it's not knowing if it should rain, sleet, snow or stay dry! Just having another random bout of snow - looks pretty too, but this will no doubt turn to sleet at any second!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Any precip here is still snow but the flakes are so tiny.

Posted

I remember the BBC forecasts on Wed/Thurs that had the whole of the Midlands/South of England blanketed in snow. Gradually as the days have gone by this snow has slowly disappeared from the forecasts. Nick2702 is right they have called this one very badly. Oh well its been fun, life goes on. :-)

Posted

Well now that the snow is turning into horrible, wet, slush (which is far more dangerous than the dry stuff) I just want it to melt quickly.

Posted

The word non-event is banded about a lot these days, but folks, this is a real non-event. Not where it narrowly misses you but gives everyone else a pasting, this case is a real one. It hasn't even got close to our shores. The models and forecasters have got it horribly, horribly wrong.

Its snowing here but thawing slightly too- still I have 4 inches left! In west Wales though so not much help over there.

Edited by Tonyh

Posted

The summary of that was:

We are on a knife edge, temp in Northampton town centre is +2 but whatever does melt will freeze tonight and make roads very icy again for tomorrow.

He said that he didn`t know what was going to fall, but said it will be rain, sleet or snow!

That was a total waste of time, they don`t have a clue at present time what the hell is going to happen.

Best way to know whats happening......Look out your window!

Edited by Frank

Posted

Oh common.... the models have been spot on for our area , well atleast the GFS... it was always forecasting very light patchy snow, only until evening where the slighly more moderate falls would take place. People here just had so much expectations from this.

Posted

To be honest, it's a damp squib of a day, bang on 1c here and doesn't feel that cold. Keen breeze and very little thaw actually occuring here, the road's clear but paths and grass still have 1cm in parts, which isn't much less than my maximum amount.

The reason i'm most annoyed is how much this has been downgraded, pathetic and really annoying.

Also, we all wanted this cold spell to go out on a BANG, big snowfall from an Atlantic invasion. Not going to happen. Pathetic

Posted

Dew point is rising rapidly here, so most of the precipitation will gradually turn to sleet/rain through the day I would have thought.