Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

r u in South Nottingham? or SE? I have not a flake, and if anything is falling it must be rain cuz I cant see it from looking out the window... I live on the north side of city centre

I'm in The Park - 5 mins walk from city centre. Snowing again now after some light rain!

Gotta love how it suddenly turned mild when it was finally our turn to get hit! grr

Posted

What i find MOST annoying was the way Jim Bacon discussed it, he really didn`t seem ONE BIT bothered that they had got it soooo wrong! - on his Live Radio Northampton speech!

Edited by Frank

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

The word non-event is banded about a lot these days, but folks, this is a real non-event. Not where it narrowly misses you but gives everyone else a pasting, this case is a real one. It hasn't even got close to our shores. The models and forecasters have got it horribly, horribly wrong.

The event is still off the East coast and moving slowly towards us. It is a non-event for me in terms of temperatures rather than PPN. The PPN will come later on but the temperatures are stupidly high. 2c is higher than I thought it would reach in the Midlands at any point today let alone noon! Still got 3 hours of warming, could go upto 3c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.. Heavy snow.

The snow cant wait to turn into water and race towards the nearest drain here :whistling: never mind see what happens next week

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

They haven't updated the warnings for the west Midlands yet, but I would put money on them being taken down.

I don't think I have ever been so disappointed when there is heavy snow outside! It is fairly heavy now, so if that isn't sticking (which it isn't) then it will never stick. It isn't even settling on lying snow or on cars.

Posted
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl

did any one watch the country file forecast?...and met office still got a warning out for us on wednesday?

Watched it and it seemed so vague tbh........

although a big let down at the moment - it could all turn around so quickly - personally I think most of the forecasters are not entirely sure what is going to happen!

Posted

The event is still off the East coast and moving slowly towards us. It is a non-event for me in terms of temperatures rather than PPN. The PPN will come later on but the temperatures are stupidly high. 2c is higher than I thought it would reach in the Midlands at any point today let alone noon! Still got 3 hours of warming, could go upto 3c.

It reached 2 degs yesterday in Derby - my temps starting to dip a little - hopefully a downward trend.

I think the downgrades are because it not going to happen in South - I still think we'll get something out of this later - just want the dewpoint to start dipping now

From what I am hearing its going to refreeze tomorrow

Posted

Snowing here again.

This reminds me of something that happened when I lived in Ohio for 2 years, but much more scaled down here. In my second December there, it was very cold and snowy...quite like the last week but temperatures got down to -18c there rather than the -10c here. Anyway, after a decent bout of snow..we were forecast to have a lot of snow and very large accumlations.

As the storm apprached, temperatures went just above freezing and dew points rose. We had a day of heavy rain, sleet and snow. I remember getting to my car that night and there was almost a foot of this very bizzare slushy stuff. It was like walking through a giant Slush Puppy! Driving through it on the main roads wasn't too bad actually, though the back roads looked dicey.

Now we are certain;y not going to get a foot of slush here, but the general situation is very similar....

...and in case you're wondering what happened next in Ohio...the rest of December was very coold and snowy but January and February were unusually mild and snowless for Ohio.

Posted

oh cool gord, whereabouts did you live? cincinnati? columbus?

Columbus...and believe me, it certainly isn't just us that suffers from let downs and marginal situations! Makes it more acceptable when we have a let down here knowing that they have them there as well...although they certainly haven't this week! But then again, neither have we!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Had a heavier burst of snow about 10 minutes ago. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

VERY HEAVY snow here now, is it settling? Of course it bloody isn't...

Posted

Nothing has gone wrong. It has played out as I expected, but you and others have set your expectations too high. I would still expect some heavier snow to form tonight and some accumulations are likely in the heavier bands of snow, so it's far from over yet. smile.gif

Im sorry, inches forecast for SE, not happened. Just look at there thread, nothing. The forcasters went wrong, massive mistake, again

Posted
  • Location: Alrewas - North Staffs(203ft ASL) 5 miles north of Lichfield

The gayest snow event of modern times in Alrewas

Posted

temp beginning to drop now down to 0.7c

Posted

Surely we must remember, if you followed the BBC Weather forecasts, each hour, over the last 24 hours, actually, they have got it right.

Are they not allowed to reduce the risk of snow by updating their forecasts?

Anyway, snow showers are becoming more frequent and heavier in nature here.

Thaw has set in, but we are still around 80% coverage, although this is now very little in terms of depth.

Posted

Stop moaning you lot, we are only just in january and have 20 days left, then the coldest month of the year february, so plenty of time for things to go back to cold :D

During the winter of 1947 there were days of sleet and patial melts all the time, as well as the epic blizzards and that winter didn't get going till later this month.

We still have all to play for and to be honest, a patial thaw today of the footpath outside my house is saving me a job, as i've been meaning to clear the thing for a week :lol:

Edited by cyclonic happiness

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & thunder storms.

Temp here at 1.6c did briefly go up to 2c.

The snow has been thawing steadily since earlier this morning, and is not being helped by the wet snow showers we are getting. I can hear the water dripping on the roof of the boat. There is a fairly cold feeling wind.

I'm sorry to see the snow go, I have really enjoyed it being here. Is this the end to the cold period and the snow or is it just a warmer blip and does this mean that the forecasted snow will not now be coming?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Coldie!

The gayest snow event of modern times in Alrewas

LOL!!!

If anyone still has a snowman they should go out and sacrifice it to appease the weather gods and bring us some bloody proper snow!!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

It certainly sounds like many have set their expectations far too high. This wa snever going to be an event of widespread heavy snow. Yes it will be persistent but mainly light to moderate. Accumulations are possible tonight but nothing massive.

Edited by Blizzards