Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

I advise to take no notice of the radar today because even in the SE there are reports of heavy snow showers while the radar shows nothing.

Posted

It is snowing on the Derbys/Notts border, but the snow is poor quality

WHATwallbash.gif Well done thats gotta be post of the day for the " poor quality snow" bit rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

sheilds up in full force laugh.gif

gutted to here Newark is sleet. We have nothing at the mo' (obviously) but when it does do something its just sleet grains. no snow yet. BBC still say snow for this evening through Monday though, hmmmmm unknw.gif

I really hope that system out west takes the milder air with it! C'mon COLD AIR PLEASE lol!!

post-8050-12631241720642_thumb.png

Edited by Crimson_Sprite

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

Bugger...I chose today of all days to go out and take photos across the moors and canal. Shame the soddin' thaw has started.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I think accumulations will be restricted to 250m+ today. It has been snowing quite nicely with big flakes here on and off for a while, yet absolutely none of it has settled. The ground/existing snow is too wet and the snow is too light.

It looks like the Manchester area is going to get all the fun...AGAIN.

Edited by nick2702

Posted

Just had a look out the window, snow melt is worrying now. On the pavements and road it is melting quite a lot and we still have 4 hours of warming to go yet laugh.gif

GAME.OVER.

Same here, its game over. There was snow on our car last night, gone this morning. Went out walking with dog earlier and whilst its been snowing quite heavily its quite 'wet' snow and not really settling. Notably warmer as well, its been fun but looks like we could be on the turn?!

Posted

WHATwallbash.gif Well done thats gotta be post of the day for the " poor quality snow" bit rofl.gif

The flakes are absolutely tiny... it's the same 8 flakes just swirling around! You can't call that proper snow! :p

Posted

I think accumulations will be restricted to 250m+ today. It has been snowing quite nicely with big flakes here on and off for a while, yet absolutely none of it has settled. The ground/existing snow is too wet and the snow is too light.

oh well nick, maybe its time for things to slowly turn back to normality again. we've had a good run, severe frosts, about 5 inches of lying snow, you can't say we have done poorly out of this cold spell. its not often i say this, but as much as its nice to have cold weather, all good things must come to an end. bring on the atlantic storms i say! :D

Posted

Even after the MetO downgraded the wearnings warnings, the above still remains in force

Risk of disruption Warning Valid

East Midlands: Leicester

Leicestershire

Lincolnshire

Northamptonshire

Rutland

Heavy Snow Sun 10 Jan

There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting parts of England and Wales.

Further outbreaks of snow, some heavy and prolonged, with accumulations of 2 to 5 cm generally and locally around 5-10cm over high ground. Strong winds will cause drifting of snow. There will also be further icy stretches on roads and pavements.

Issued at: 1158 Sat 9 Jan

Edited by Frank

Posted

The flakes are absolutely tiny... it's the same 8 flakes just swirling around! You can't call that proper snow! laugh.gif

Was waiting for a reply along the lines of "Back in my day when I were a lad .................. drunk.gif

Posted

oh well nick, maybe its time for things to slowly turn back to normality again. we've had a good run, severe frosts, about 5 inches of lying snow, you can't say we have done poorly out of this cold spell. its not often i say this, but as much as its nice to have cold weather, all good things must come to an end. bring on the atlantic storms i say! :D

I had barely 2 inches! I have had far, far better even in the god awful winter of 06/07. The only thing really notable were the severely low temperatures and the prolonged cold. For snowfall this has been nothing special.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

The flakes are absolutely tiny... it's the same 8 flakes just swirling around! You can't call that proper snow! laugh.gif

rofl.gif thats good hahaha!! same 8 flakes flying around... lol!!

Posted

Same here, its game over. There was snow on our car last night, gone this morning. Went out walking with dog earlier and whilst its been snowing quite heavily its quite 'wet' snow and not really settling. Notably warmer as well, its been fun but looks like we could be on the turn?!

maybe it wont lay at the moment but what about later when the temps drop?

Posted

I'll garauntee that this will be a total non-event for Leicester, Warwickshire, Northants area.

The main heavy precip is heading towards Notts/Derby area and that other batch of precip following on behind it will do the same. All Leicester, Warwickshire and Northants will get is scraps like small bits of sleet or rain :D

Dunno about Brum and West Midlands, PPN will probably pep up over you later on this afternoon but over here I think it's a case of.. Goodbye snow.

Well i'm currently in a Heavy Shower here again ! although I have never ever seen this from the met office .

Heavy Snow Sun 10 Jan

THE EARLY WARNING HAS BEEN CANCELLED. DISRUPTIVE SNOW ACCUMULATIONS ARE NOW LESS LIKELY.

Posted

HAHA, OMG, LOOK AT THIS MET OFFICE WARNING:

THE EARLY WARNING HAS BEEN CANCELLED. DISRUPTIVE SNOW ACCUMULATIONS ARE NOW LESS LIKELY.

There is a moderate risk of a severe weather event affecting parts of Wales, Northeast and Southeast England. Outbreaks of snow may give accumulations of 1 to 2cm at low levels, but snow may become heavy and persistent at times over higher ground with 3 to 8cm on east-facing slopes and up to 15cm over the highest peaks of the Pennines and Welsh Mountains.

Strong winds may cause drifting of snow in places.

Issued at: 1125 Sun 10 Jan

THAT IS FOR TODAY!

I have never, EVER seen that in my life.

Edited by nick2702

Posted

Surely the ground is not to wet/warm after its been below freezing for days on end.

Can't believe these 'snow showers' which don't show up on the radar seem to hit everywhere but here, im baffled how upper air temperature of -8 have risen the temperature up to 1.5c though when it was much windier Wednesday and stayed below freezing.

Posted

I had barely 2 inches! I have had far, far better even in the god awful winter of 06/07. The only thing really notable were the severely low temperatures and the prolonged cold. For snowfall this has been nothing special.

same here dirol.gif

nice for meto to take all the warnings down, and then even Notts is out of the advisory hahaha! typical...

Posted

maybe it wont lay at the moment but what about later when the temps drop?

Thats my last hope! but not too optimistic. I may just draw my curtains tonight, and not look out again until the morning and see whats what! Its difficult to call for anyone, the local forecasts I have heard this morning have been so vague covering themselves for any eventuality.

Posted

same here dirol.gif

nice for meto to take all the warnings down, and then even Notts is out of the advisory hahaha! typical...

Not quite....

I can't decide whether it's snowing or sleeting here at the moment. Looks a bit queer anyway. :(

Posted

Raining lightly now. Best event of the Winter so far this is.

rofl.gifgood.gif

Posted

i think that must prove a point, that sometimes the milder winters give the best snowfalls(february 07, april 08) even if they dont lie for that long. anyway, like i said, normality must resume fairly soon, i think most of the businesses in the country and road maintenance services must be sick of the cold weather. i love cold and snow, but you can see how it destroys us inside, to watch someone 5 miles down the road get significant snowfall, while we get nothing. cold weather is just not the form horse in this country, and people always looks for downgrades, and the end of the cold spell, it almost leads to obsession. at least with average weather we aren't dominated by the models 24/7! sure it was a prolonged cold spell, but snow is very rarely going to please everyone, because the amounts people receive are never going to be equal!

Posted

I have had far, far better even in the god awful winter of 06/07.

I promise you, I did not see a single flake of snow falling in that winter! Terrible winter!