Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South Central England Cold Spell Discussion:

Methuselah

Posted

looking at the radar there is a nice heavy bit of ppn just coming into the channel looks as if its heading our way

does anyone know what its falling as ??? i dont have ppn type lol

Edited by coxxy22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Hi Stormboy,

as a fellow Newbrarian I would like to know whereabouts you live, do you live in Newbury itself or on the hillier outskirts? I ask as I measured the snow this morning and it came to 6cm, which is quite a disparity to the nearly 10cm you have measured overnight.

I live on Fir Tree Lane just off the A4 so a fairly flat location!

Cheers Ian

Hello Joneseye.

I leave near Wash Common down the valley road estate and are often prone to colder spells with snow, ice and frost even when the town centre has rain for example. The 10cm I measured at 9am was more like 9cm but whatever, it now amounts to double the amount lying i.e approx 8 inches level cover compared to the previous 6 inches that had thawed to 4 inches.

I'm AdamAnt whistling.gif that snow will most likely still be on the ground (well certainly locally it will) just in time for the cold reload after the weekend. But heck, what do I know?

Cheers

STORMBOY

PS the DP has finally reached above zero in the last hour here.

Posted

Hello Joneseye.

I leave near Wash Common down the valley road estate and are often prone to colder spells with snow, ice and frost even when the town centre has rain for example. The 10cm I measured at 9am was more like 9cm but whatever, it now amounts to double the amount lying i.e approx 8 inches level cover compared to the previous 6 inches that had thawed to 4 inches.

I'm AdamAnt whistling.gif that snow will most likely still be on the ground (well certainly locally it will) just in time for the cold reload after the weekend. But heck, what do I know?

Cheers

STORMBOY

PS the DP has finally reached above zero in the last hour here.

Nice one Stormboy I know where you are and that explains why you keep getting more than me :lol: The elevation certainly helps plus you are closer to the downs, which means you get more precipitation than me!

As for the re-load the % chances have certainly gone up since yesterday. The form horse this winter has been the cold up until now.. and to think that most winters we drool over charts like the ones we are seeing only for the actual outcome is mild where Greece gets all the snow... hmmm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Nice one Stormboy I know where you are and that explains why you keep getting more than me tongue.gif The elevation certainly helps plus you are closer to the downs, which means you get more precipitation than me!

As for the re-load the % chances have certainly gone up since yesterday. The form horse this winter has been the cold up until now.. and to think that most winters we drool over charts like the ones we are seeing only for the actual outcome is mild where Greece gets all the snow... hmmm

Indeed.

It's only the 13th January and so far to go with this winter whatever the rest of it does. Ain't it strange to pull the curtains back every morning of every day to see the thick snow laying on the ground. drunk.gif makes me want to get the Rochester Ginger out and maybe a brandy after getting home from work of course, when you can get there that is, anyhows today's a day off so I better get reading up again. I'm posting so much now, I thought i'd never come out of the closet rofl.gif

STORMBOY

Posted

The sleet and rain has passed here but other places on the IOW have seen some snow, but it is quite misty here though and chiily.

anyway models look good for next week hopefully.

Edited by Lightningboy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

Hi Coxxy,

I haven't got a radar showing PPN type but it looks a bit ominous! Others have noticed it but no one seems to know what it is/where it's heading - not this way I wouldn't have thought or there would be a bit more excitement around! Keeps going dark over Horndean way but just heavy cloud I think - nothing on radar.

Posted

I think that area of precipitation will just skim through the channel, I don't think it will make landfall unfortunately...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

I'm glad about that actually as it's raining here now anyway!

Posted

whos got the ppn type radar ? what is that coming into the channel + northern france ??

it looks heavy lol

Here is a local one:

post-2885-12633955826928_thumb.png

Looking at a loop of the main radar the stuff over towards the Cherbourg peninsula is arcing slowly in NE'ly direction. I would suggest that 'if' it reaches our area we will have too high temps and dew points for it to give anything other than rain.

Posted

Just came back from Swindon where I saw drizzle in the town and heavy snow coming onto the M4. On the way back it was almost whiteout conditions in places with the snow and fog. Back home now and all we have is drizzle :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Hi Coxxy,

I haven't got a radar showing PPN type but it looks a bit ominous! Others have noticed it but no one seems to know what it is/where it's heading - not this way I wouldn't have thought or there would be a bit more excitement around! Keeps going dark over Horndean way but just heavy cloud I think - nothing on radar.

The radars show the wind has veered back E/SEly so doesn't that mean we're heading back to a Siberian pattern, rather than Atlantic lows??? :unsure: :unsure:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

thats it end of the cold spell or should i say deep freeze lol.

anything from now on will be 100% rain or drizzle lol and im very sure this time dew points to high thickness not there and air temps not enough.

now its back to the models to see what happens next.

intresting read by philip eden on weather online talking about this winter and that winters that start before christmas tend to finish by feb.

lets hope not but it will make a change for something different for a little while then hopefully a reload but im far from dissapointed i think its been the best winter for me since the 80s or early 90s excellent stuff.:unsure:

Posted

thats it end of the cold spell or should i say deep freeze lol.

anything from now on will be 100% rain or drizzle lol and im very sure this time dew points to high thickness not there and air temps not enough.

now its back to the models to see what happens next.

intresting read by philip eden on weather online talking about this winter and that winters that start before christmas tend to finish by feb.

lets hope not but it will make a change for something different for a little while then hopefully a reload but im far from dissapointed i think its been the best winter for me since the 80s or early 90s excellent stuff.drinks.gif

Not really badboy, even the higher temps (& rain) forecast for the next few days will still be below average. The LTA max for Portsmouth for January is 9C...

Looking at the models it does seem that by the middle of next week we could be seeing it turn colder again, though the Met Office think this will be a short lived "blip" before true milder weather pushes in from the Atlantic... But who knows, they have hardly been reliable at even short term forecasts let alone beyond 7 days! rolleyes.gif

Posted

well it seems that the end of the cold has comefor now.snow melting rapidly here and no signs of any developments in the next few days. shame but it was great fun while it lasted. thunderstorms anyone...? oh wait we still have 2 months of winter to go lol :drinks:

Posted

Hi Guys

Just to let you know the Regional Threads will be Moved to a new Sub Forum at the top of this page called "Regional Forums" for the rest of the winter sometime tomorrow

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow

Hi Guys

Just to let you know the Regional Threads will be Moved to a new Sub Forum at the top of this page called "Regional Forums" for the rest of the winter sometime tomorrow

Paul S

weather warning for southern central !!!and the iow for snow on wednesday!!!here we go again chaps!!!drinks.gif

Posted

Hi folks,

I'm not convinced about Wednesday either apart from getting some rain. Model thread in particular seems to think if anything happens snow wise it will be further north and over hilly areas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Good dump of snow or a damn good thunderstorm

Greetings LampPost watchers.

Will meet you on Wednesday for some sledging. If I don't show up its because the front failed to deliver

:lol:

Posted

Greetings LampPost watchers.

Will meet you on Wednesday for some sledging. If I don't show up its because the front failed to deliver

:D

......here we go again!!! I've got a brand new winter hat, im ready!

Edited by Westsussex1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Good dump of snow or a damn good thunderstorm

......here we go again!!! I've got a brand new winter hat, im ready!

Well WS1 thats 2 of us, any more takers?

Looking at the Midnight GFS run we could be sledging all week after a spell of rain at the weekend

Fred (BFTP) could be onto another winner here !

:D

Posted

If i'm coming I better upgrade my sledge. This on is old and wooden and has holes in. It will sink. I need a new plastic one that will float in the floods be better for my 18 inches of snow...