Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South Central England Cold Spell Discussion:

Methuselah

Posted

Hi Rob,

I'd say Hampshire was south central lol! Mind you I often post on south east and south west as Hampshire's really in the middle so I can sneak over a bit! Sounds the same as we're having here; fine flakes and lots of them. The radar shows a lot of activity but I doubt it will increase in intensity much more but you never know!

Well if it keeps up at the same intensity for a few hours it will give a decent depth. We still have ~10cm on the ground from last Tue/Wed when we got 24cm, and had a small top-up on Sunday night (1cm or so). Now all the cleared areas have been covered over again, maybe another 1cm or so, a bit more on the cars.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

24cm - blimey! We had about 19cm which is good seeing as we're so close to the coast. I still can't believe how big some of those flakes were even though I was stuck on the motorway! Luckily I'd packed the recommended 'winter kit' in my car so I was lovely and toasty warm and could enjoy it while waiting to be rescued lol!

Posted

Thing is with the Island, it can be so unpredictable here and can a pain to forecast here aswell, but someone said to me that because of being on the coast sometimes the sea can make the PPN rates even heavier, thats just what this guy told me and hes also really good with the weather and lives on the IOW too.

Though one thing i do love about this place also, is the thunderstorms and the views i get here for viewing the lightning whether its far out to sea or over us and they tend to be big.

Edited by Lightningboy

Posted

24cm - blimey! We had about 19cm which is good seeing as we're so close to the coast. I still can't believe how big some of those flakes were even though I was stuck on the motorway! Luckily I'd packed the recommended 'winter kit' in my car so I was lovely and toasty warm and could enjoy it while waiting to be rescued lol!

Yes, Fleet (about 4 miles away) was mentioned on the news as having 28cm. I've never thought of this area as being particularly snowy but north Hampshire/Surrey has done rather well in the last couple of years - I think it was April 2008 that really kicked it off with a surprise 10cm spring fall, then just over six months later in October 2008 we got another 2-3cm. Then in Feb 2009 we got 16cm (not as much as Woking, Guildford etc which got 30cm+!).

Then this winter Dec 17 brought 8cm of light powder, topped up to 12cm with the heavy wet stuff that brought Basingstoke to a standstill on Dec 21. That lay till Boxing Day then on January 6/7 we got 24cm, with a couple of light falls since then, and now it's pelting it down again.

Sorry, don't mean to gloat but the last 2 years have brought more snow here than the last 20 put together, I reckon!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

It's not gloating at all - I'm glad that our 'region' can compete with the likes of the southwest/southeast etc! I've seen 4 periods of snowfall in a year so I'm not complaining (although one was in the midlands where I saw 2010 in so that's cheating a bit! That was even more beautiful because I got to see it 1ft deep + across the peak district hills etc.)

Lighteningboy - I know what you mean about storms; I adore thunder and lightening and hope to see more storms in 2010 because they were a bit thin on the ground last year I think. I 'chased' a storm once; ended up near London with huge hailstones, what a cracking day that was!

Posted

Have woken up to a slight covering of snow on top of the existing snow that has been with us for a week today - and it's still snowing :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

i have not slept all night well this will be the last snowfall i will see for a little while so before it melts.

but how wrong could i be well i did say if cold air digs in it could turn to snow.

but i was much more confident with it being a none event atleast i lernt something never trust the weather lol.

i reckon about a cm or two has fallen so a covering awsome.

i did take a pic but having problems with memory card in phone.

well im sure your all see for yourself lol.

still snowing right now.:cold:

Posted

snow in gosport when I woke up and now I have arrived in segensworth its worse. and snowing lol, roads starting to go white again

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

heres a pic if you look at the green bin on your right the snow on the top is the amount we got.:D

post-9143-12633698629028_thumb.jpg post-9143-12633719983428_thumb.jpgpost-9143-12633720189428_thumb.jpg

post-9143-12633720360528_thumb.jpg post-9143-12633720569328_thumb.jpg post-9143-12633720733128_thumb.jpg

post-9143-12633720886228_thumb.jpg :D:yahoo:

Edited by badboy657

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Well, still it snows (11 hours and counting) here in Newbury.

190mm i.e nearly 8 inches laying snow at 9am so I'm heading into my 8th continuous day of snow cover on top of the 8 continous days I had prior to Xmas. yahoo.gif

Not so good for those attempting to get to work as the additional 4 inches or so we had overnight is laying thick on the roads too.

Still looking good here in my eyes.

Very lucky that it is my day off today.

Snowy Cheers

STORMBOY

PS awaiting the anticipated reload after the weekend, its not ending yet!

Posted

190mm i.e nearly 8 inches laying snow at 9am so I'm heading into my 8th continuous day of snow cover on top of the 8 continous days I had prior to Xmas. yahoo.gif

Not so good for those attempting to get to work as the additional 4 inches or so we had overnight is laying thick on the roads too.

Snowy Cheers

STORMBOY

Similar here in north Hants. Had an extra 7.5cm (3") up until 8.15 this morning. It's still snowing now, so I expect the final amount from this episode will be about 9cm. In total this January we have had about 37cm (15"). Incredible that we have about 10" of snow still lying in many places.

The BBC are already saying that after a milder interlude it will get much colder again next week. They were more or less spot on with this latest snowfall, so I'm hoping that they will be right again.

Posted

In Reading we had about 5cm of extra snow overnight on top of about 10cm remaining in the garden - the latest snow is very fine but also very persistent, and it was still snowing lightly when I left for work (a slow steady drive via Hook and the M3 - Hook in particular is very icy in places).

Still snowing steadily here at work in Basingstoke, and I hear the A33's still pretty much impassable between Basingstoke and Reading.

In total this season so far we've had 2 falls of 7cm (measured in the garden in Reading) in December plus falls of 19cm and (so far) 5cm, so a total of 38cm+. I was living in Southampton in 1981/2 and missed out on the deepest snowfall, so for me it's probably the most snow I've seen since 1978/9.

Posted

Well we had a dusting even here in Southsea after raining for much of the night, though most of that dusting has now melted... It looks like something is just starting to fall from the sky again, not sure exactly what it is...ah can see snowflakes now... drinks.gif

Posted

Now at 11:20am moderate/heavy snow falling here, completely unforecast for here right on the coast & the most recent BBC forecast I saw showed no more snow for central southern England for the rest of the day! whistling.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Snowing again in Southampton. The stuff that fell until about 8am this morning (very small grains = 2cm maybe) was already melting of the trees in big gobbets :rofl: but now there are lovely, fat flakes coming down!!! :drinks:

Posted

Well we had a dusting even here in Southsea after raining for much of the night, though most of that dusting has now melted... It looks like something is just starting to fall from the sky again, not sure exactly what it is...ah can see snowflakes now... drinks.gif

yeah had a dusting here this morning when i woke up

been snowing lightly here for about 5-10 mins now dont look like it will last long though looking at the radar

Posted

Snowy Cheers

STORMBOY

Hi Stormboy,

as a fellow Newbrarian I would like to know whereabouts you live, do you live in Newbury itself or on the hillier outskirts? I ask as I measured the snow this morning and it came to 6cm, which is quite a disparity to the nearly 10cm you have measured overnight.

I live on Fir Tree Lane just off the A4 so a fairly flat location!

Cheers Ian

Posted

Hi Stormboy,

as a fellow Newbrarian I would like to know whereabouts you live, do you live in Newbury itself or on the hillier outskirts? I ask as I measured the snow this morning and it came to 6cm, which is quite a disparity to the nearly 10cm you have measured overnight.

I live on Fir Tree Lane just off the A4 so a fairly flat location!

Cheers Ian

Although not in Newbury I'm off to your SE near Tadley and measured 8cm of new snow an hour or so ago.

Posted

Although not in Newbury I'm off to your SE near Tadley and measured 8cm of new snow an hour or so ago.

Hi Kiwi,

that ties in quite nicely with the 24hour accumulations, which has been zoomed in on my postcode:

post-2885-12633828839728_thumb.png

As you can see my home postcode is right on the edge of the green - whereas you are slap bang in the middle of the green.

Quite interesting that our location has been right on the edge of all the snow dumpings on each occasion :(

EDIT - when I say snow dumpings I mean the one before xmas, the one last week and the one overnight last night. This is mainly due to outr location being in the valley.

Edited by Joneseye

Posted

Hi Kiwi,

that ties in quite nicely with the 24hour accumulations, which has been zoomed in on my postcode:

post-2885-12633828839728_thumb.png

As you can see my home postcode is right on the edge of the green - whereas you are slap bang in the middle of the green.

Quite interesting that our location has been right on the edge of all the snow dumpings on each occasion :shok:

EDIT - when I say snow dumpings I mean the one before xmas, the one last week and the one overnight last night. This is mainly due to outr location being in the valley.

Yes Joneseye we have been truly blessed!!

More to come next week with of luck?