Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Hi,

Do you think we could see some snow showers this weekend because it looks like conditions would be right for snow unless it is mainly dry over at least part of this weekend (uppers etc.) - correct me if I am wrong. Also if we don't get snow will there be some hard frosts over this weekend what sort of temperatures could we expect (I am from South Liverpool btw) - could -4 or -5 be possible this weekend for us because if those skies are going to be clear it is going to go very cold isn't it? Also a question to the guys who live in my vicinity (like HC and Stephen Prudence etc.) - when did you last have an air frost and how long have you been "frost free" for as I haven't noticed one for over a week). Anyway I would expect a run of frost free night to broken this weekend. Anyway further down the line would you expect another major snow even for the North West in February, and with some predicting a cold February from model signals etc at the moment does anyone see the potential for a February 1996 style event this month? - that would be a great finale to a great winter if it where to happen!

Luke

Hi Luke

I really dont know with ref to Snow this weekend it all depends on the wind direction if we get a straight northerly then no,on the other hand if the wind goes into

Hi Luke

I really dont know with ref to Snow this weekend it all depends on the wind direction if we get a straight northerly then no,on the other hand if the wind goes into

Sorry pressed the wrong button anyway to carry on if the wind goes into the NW there is a chance of the cheshire gap effect,i would say at the moment 20% chance for the

weekend as for further into feb the signs are there but atm its just trends,and finally -3or -4 quite possibly Sat/Sun night

Weather at the moment here is rain and a mild 6c.......Yuk....on the plus side snow now been reported in Scotland

C.S

Posted

Hi Chris, I may be wrong but I am confident of an upgrade for our region. There will be unforecastable situations such as troughs.

See the sat24 pic that I saved from the night before the last heavy fall that I have annotated... These summarise my current thoughts/hopes!!

There were warnings out 5 days before the event, they were very good with these Warning's which were fairly accurate.

Posted

Just had a moderate snow shower in Wallasey. :)

Still too warm for stickage at the moment. What we need is a decent frost.

We had a very light snow flurry here in the South Liverpool about half an hour ago. Wasn't expecting to see that today! :) It only lasted about 10 minutes and although the sky is black to the south of me now (Ellesmere Port), the sun is shining!

Posted
  • Location: coppull near chorley lancashire. and the pier head liverpool
  • Location: coppull near chorley lancashire. and the pier head liverpool

Also had some light snow here about 10.30.Bright and sunny atm and you can really feel the nly wind. fingers crossed for some wintry weather over the next few days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Hi,

Do you think we could see some snow showers this weekend because it looks like conditions would be right for snow unless it is mainly dry over at least part of this weekend (uppers etc.) - correct me if I am wrong. Also if we don't get snow will there be some hard frosts over this weekend what sort of temperatures could we expect (I am from South Liverpool btw) - could -4 or -5 be possible this weekend for us because if those skies are going to be clear it is going to go very cold isn't it? Also a question to the guys who live in my vicinity (like HC and Stephen Prudence etc.) - when did you last have an air frost and how long have you been "frost free" for as I haven't noticed one for over a week). Anyway I would expect a run of frost free night to broken this weekend. Anyway further down the line would you expect another major snow even for the North West in February, and with some predicting a cold February from model signals etc at the moment does anyone see the potential for a February 1996 style event this month? - that would be a great finale to a great winter if it where to happen!

Luke

To be honest here on the coast I don't think any frosts are going to be particularly harsh. In fact during the northerly episode the GFS suggests temperature above 0C on the coast (even minimums), but further inland possibly -3C or -4C. No frost for 8 days here.

As for February, no idea... it looks good for an easterly but I'm not entirely convinced it will occur.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Snowing now only lightly but with proper flakes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Snow flurries here now, but nothing special. So much for my 'there could be some surprises this w/e' post above!! Oh well, you live & learn. I wonder if the famed potential coming easterly will have any significance for the nw. Of course, it may be a non-starter altogether. Certainly a lesson in not basing emotions on a single run, even if you are in the most snow-vulnerable areas...

Posted

A few snow showers now coming through of the irish sea missing me about 10 miles to the east places like wrexham getting heavy

snow showers as i typenonono.gif

C.S

Posted

Light snow blowing in wind here

We're getting some nice snow showers here interspersed by blue skies and sunshine! I don't think it's going to amount to anything on the ground but it is lovely to see!

Posted

Had an very heavy shower around 1pm, accompanied by strong winds: the cemetery close-by had near-whiteout conditions for a time! The snow was heavy enough to give a light covering, but once it passed the sun destroyed it very quickly. Some shaded areas still have a dusting.

These snow showers are really packing some oomph!

Posted

Currently having a decent ol' snow shower not settling though the ground is just too warm.

Really coming down, I may have also seen lightning. Then again it could be my mind playing tricks.

Blizzard-like connditions here now.

Posted

Just been snowing lightly but with proper flakes in Bury, settled on the grass, but only a few flakes so cant been seen unless you look. Was very pretty against the sun set.

Shadowfax

Posted

Quite frustrating today

plenty of snow showers around(which were not forecast)missed me by about 10 miles,current temp 2c DP-4c

clear skys atm,but yet again showers passing by about 10 miles to my west

Oh wellwhistling.gif

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Those showers missed us here, just a bit too far east, but could see them in the distance!

Posted

Anyone got any thoughts on the possibilty of the beast from the east

Will it happen?

will it effect our region?

Any thoughts on the second half of the weekend with the wind set to go NW will we get any snow showers?

Lots of questions,but why not......

Thoughts anyone

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Around 1pm we had a VERY heavy snow shower!

0.2c atm, looks like there isnt anymore showers nearby for tonight.

Posted

We caught some snow flurries very light and short lived this afternoon. Unfortunately Cumbria is in the snow free zone this weekend, still above 600m there is plenty of snow. The weekend is going to be one of those classic cold blue sky weekends.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow!!!

hey ho we had a bit of graupel here today, about 2 ish or so, did settle for a bit. fingers crossed for more though. it aint spring yet!

Posted

hey ho we had a bit of graupel here today, about 2 ish or so, did settle for a bit. fingers crossed for more though. it aint spring yet!

We had the same here about half 11 last night. It's melting where the sun hits it now but it's a beautiful sunny, crisp and freezing cold winter's day. Our NetWeather forecast shows a 70% chance of snow here for most of tomorrow.... fingers crossed!

:cold:

Posted

been sunny allday,sun going down now, no showers since heavy snow shower we had yesterday at 2pm..looks like all the showers are to the north and east today on thr radarunsure.gif