Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Still not snowing here, so that it for here then? well im very happy with what we got! Birds making prints in the snow looking for food so snow now has all patterns on it :( Hope we get more like this during feb!!

Posted

Come out of the blue....about to go in bath and bursts out lol.......don't know what to do...no buses running and i have an exam 1.30.

walk. i'm ditching the bike today but will walk 4 miles to work. Sure you can manage the same for an exam.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

It's a shame but all the snow will be gone by Sunday :( Mild weather sweeping in in a few days, could be an Easterly next week again though.

Posted

snowing very hard A470 upper boat, totally agree with you andy not showing on radar but its coming out of the sky. also it seems snow this morning is thicker and heavier than what we had during the night.

not sure about thicker and heavier - I did the night shift last night (I've just woken up after having a crafty kip at the end of it) and through most of the night it has been coming down pretty heavy - there was an hour or two where it fell very light, but it was pretty constant from 3.30pm yesterday afternoon till now - that's a lot of snow!

Posted

It's a shame but all the snow will be gone by Sunday :( Mild weather sweeping in in a few days, could be an Easterly next week again though.

Cannot say I will be sorry to see it gone. We have a foot of drifting snow out there and it is snowing again. So no chance of going out. A short thaw then it is going to get colder again - a repeat in a week or two. Be nice to see the green grass....

Posted

Ye, i'm gonna walk with my mate who has an exam at 1.30.

ring ahead first though Jay to make sure it's still on.

Posted

Still not snowing here, so that it for here then? well im very happy with what we got! Birds making prints in the snow looking for food so snow now has all patterns on it smile.gif Hope we get more like this during feb!!

I'm positive we will - this winter is far from over yet - we'll have a slight break but by early next week we'll be going back in the freezer with more easterly winds

Finally around 4am in the morning the temp dropped and allowed the real snow to fall...got about 1 inch here. Off to go out now up the hills see what the depths are.

Wales has been hit hard for once.

Good to hear that, This event really shows why the battleground potential for Wales.

Before Christmas we had a front pushing down from the North West which was a disappointment for many, but with snow on the back edge. Then just after Christmas we had sleet/snow pushing up from the south, but didn't amount to much because of the milder uppers.

Over the past week, we have had repeat synoptics, but with both of them being major snow event, firstly last Tuesday, being much snowier than the first one before Christmas.

This breakdown has also been that much better as well. this just goes to show the value of having embedded cold over us, and a harder to move block. If last nights snow event has happened before Christmas or in normal circumstances, it would probably have been rain here rather than a white-out.

It does look as if there is going to be a battle to get rid of the cold weather as well, with only a temporary warm-up now looking likely.

Posted

Cannot say I will be sorry to see it gone. We have a foot of drifting snow out there and it is snowing again. So no chance of going out. A short thaw then it is going to get colder again - a repeat in a week or two. Be nice to see the green grass....

me too

very pretty, but a pain in the a**e

:)

Posted

Yeah - I'm missing normality a bit too - this cabin fever can be a dangerous thing - crazy.gif

Posted

ring ahead first though Jay to make sure it's still on.

College website says... still on lmao....crazy it is i bet teachers dont make it.

Yeah - I'm missing normality a bit too - this cabin fever can be a dangerous thing - crazy.gif

Still coming down thick and fast.

Posted

College website says... still on lmao....crazy it is i bet teachers dont make it.

Still coming down thick and fast.

same here - when will it - pack it in!!!!!!!!!!! help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted

I have never seen drifts like it here 5ft deep in places must have been blowing straight off the mountain!!!

Posted

woke up to about 10 inches of snow where other local villages at lower levels have only had rain or very small amounts of snow, school closed so were off out to go sledging with the kids as temp is creeping up with rain forcast cray.gif

Posted

mind you - I hate to tell you this GFS keeps changing it's output and it's temps!!!!!!!! - the last set of models had 8c at midday on saturday this set 06z has only 4c - uh oh - cold is still trying to win and battle me thinks! I've been watching this happen all week whereby the gfs keeps backing down and adjusting it's temp figures downwards cause it's made a mistake about the mild getting in - looks like we'll have to wait for april for the thaw!

and asif by magic mega sized heavy snow arrives!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!wallbash.gifhelp.gif

Edited by andymusic

That was fun... I stepped out of my door at 4pm to take dog for a walk and it was bone dry, when I reached the bottom of my lane 1 minute later I saw the the first rogue flakes drifting in the wind and 5 minutes later it was a blizzard... came on so fast, like a shower. Didn't stop til 5am or so and it's just started snowing moderately again.

Got 6-8 inches in total... haven't measured precisely, at least double what we had last time though and we had 3-4 inches then. Got about 10 inches on the ground now as we had 3 inches or so left from the old stuff. That's the most lying snow I can remember in my lifetime since 1996.

This is now a very good winter.

Posted

I'm not even sure the snow we have is gonna get a chance to melt now - gfs keeps downgrading the temps with each model run - it's admiting it's getting it wrong and it's not gonna let us out of the freezer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather, wind, snow, heat, storms

Woke up to a top up of another 3-4''.

It's been ice crystals until now. Large flakes coming down now. If it beefs up a bit we could have another few centimeters.

Was going to clear the paths but will hold out as snow is coming out of nowhere

Posted

I was looking at the charts and I understand that they are only a guide and not gospel but it seems a bit strange that they are forcasting snow for tues/weds next week and the same pretty much the week after coincident or a conspiracy or possible a trend

Posted

I'm getting a little bit concerned now as I'll need to get my car out "AGAIN" so as I can get some supplies otherwise my gfriends leg is gonna look so tasty - just like the film "ALIVE"

I was looking at the charts and I understand that they are only a guide and not gospel but it seems a bit strange that they are forcasting snow for tues/weds next week and the same pretty much the week after coincident or a conspiracy or possible a trend

no conspiracy - just a fact that winter refuses to bugger off and give us a rest from its icy/snowy grip

I love battlegrounds... they almost always give us a good dumping, we're in the prime position for them here inteh valleys. Almost never let us down (apart from the post-Christmas screw up).

Anyone noticed how there's very little mention of this snow on BBC and Sky News?